Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Drake - Take Care

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drake - Take Care

I know we have some hip-hop fans, so I'd appreciate input. I listened to Drake's new album Take Care which had a lot of potential given his backers and his production but I was really disappointed. The whole album was R&B oriented, which is part of Drake's style but I wish there was more hip-hop in it. There's not too much rapping going on. His first CD was a nice mix.

Highlight of the album is "Practice" which sample's Juvenile's "Back That Azz Up".. but I'm disappointed that when he decided to belt out some of the lyrics he more or less crooned them. Wasted potential.

Overall I'd give it a 2/5.
Old 11-18-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Drake - Take Care

Originally Posted by mcfly
I know we have some hip-hop fans, so I'd appreciate input. I listened to Drake's new album Take Care which had a lot of potential given his backers and his production but I was really disappointed. The whole album was R&B oriented, which is part of Drake's style but I wish there was more hip-hop in it. There's not too much rapping going on. His first CD was a nice mix.

Highlight of the album is "Practice" which sample's Juvenile's "Back That Azz Up".. but I'm disappointed that when he decided to belt out some of the lyrics he more or less crooned them. Wasted potential.

Overall I'd give it a 2/5.

I kind of felt the same way at first, but that is DRAKE. From some of the reviews I've read, they say it keeps on getting better and better.

I'm enjoying it more as the days pass by. He's just a unique cat for sure. You have to be in the mood for Drake.

A lot of the songs don't stand out individually, but as a whole it works pretty well.
Old 11-18-11, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been listening to it since I got it on Tuesday. I don't like it quite as much as I did Thank Me Later, but it's still a pretty solid cd.
Old 11-18-11, 01:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
The whole album was R&B oriented, which is part of Drake's style but I wish there was more hip-hop in it.
I agree. I didn't care for "Best I Ever Had" and didn't really like Drake until "Forever". I'm just not a fan of modern day R&B so when his music veers too far in that direction he sort of loses me.
Old 11-18-11, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it. A good blend of R&B/hip hop. I take it for what it is and what Drake is. If you listen to his mixtapes and his first album they are all pretty much in this kind of tempo.
Old 04-07-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I hate to revive this thread but had to comment at how sad it is that quite a few high school kids that I talk to about hip hop think that Drake's lyrics are really clever and that he is the best right now.
Old 04-15-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a good time as any to ensure you all know of Big Ghost's review of Take Care which is one of the funniest things I read last year.

He calls Drake "the Michael Buble of rap"
Old 08-22-14, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

He gets a lap dance from Nicki Minaj in her new video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LDZX4ooRsWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>