Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Floyd -- "The Endless River" -- New Album -- October 2014

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pink Floyd -- "The Endless River" -- New Album -- October 2014

Old 07-07-14, 09:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Pink Floyd -- "The Endless River" -- New Album -- October 2014

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Nope, the RW solo albums are definitely better than Momentary Lapse or Division Bell.
this.
Old 07-08-14, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No way is Radio Kaos or Pros and Cons better than The Division Bell or Momentary Lapse. Sorrow alone is better than any track on either of those two.

That said, Amused To Death is better than all of them. Waters should come back, just for the finality of the thing; you know they aren't going to tour it anyways.

Last edited by gmanca; 07-08-14 at 04:56 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
No way is Radio Kaos or Pros and Cons better than The Division Bell or Momentary Lapse. Sorrow alone is better than any track on either of those two.

That said, Amused To Death is better than all of them. Waters should come back, just for the finality of the thing; you know they aren't going to tour it anyways.
Kaos is pretty poor overall. Even the stronger songs are not as good as the material on Pros and Cons. But Amused to Death isn't that much better. A couple strong songs (but better than those on Kaos) but still much still so much filler.

I've always figured the first DG and RW solo releases were made up of songs meant for PF which is why they are stronger overall. But both sill not quite up to par with the actual PF releases. And while many consider MLoR a DG solo aulbum, I feel it's much better than even some older PF releases, including TFC.
Old 07-08-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't The Final Cut pretty much regarded as a RW solo album?
Old 07-08-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Then that would also apply to the last two as being DG solos.
Old 07-08-14, 01:01 PM

I've always known it as The Wall Part II ...
Old 07-08-14, 07:18 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The only solo song I like by Roger Waters is "The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking". That's it. I don't care much for "The Wall" album except "Comfortably Numb" as being the only song I like on the whole thing.

I'm a bit burnt out on "Dark Side of the Moon" since they play the hell out of it on the radio - altho I never get sick of "Great Gig in the Sky" - which is my favorite on the album.

"Wish You Were Here" is in my collection, but I'm not tired of that one yet - altho the title track sort of wears on me a bit since its played a lot on the radio also.
Old 07-08-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Mickey, almost exactly.
Old 07-08-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Couldn't be less interested. But then, Obscured By Clouds is one of my favorite albums... I get pooped on for that a lot by other PF nerds
Old 07-08-14, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It also happens to be my favorite PF album.
Old 07-08-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Not getting my hopes up at all but I will buy the album.
Old 07-08-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Imagine if Sid had stayed in the band. I bet Pink Floyd would have been a '60s, flash in the pan psychedelic band buried with some of the others.
I tend to agree with this. I don't really care much at all for The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and think that if Syd wound up staying with the band as their leader they might not have amounted to as much. I think his departure is what really led to Waters and Gilmour taking control and giving us the band's best output. I honestly think that Waters and Gilmour both deserve credit and that they work better together, but I think that Waters wins out in the overall talent department and is a better lryicist.
Old 07-08-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite my comment, I like it too. I kinda burnt out on it in my 20's though. Was a time and place in my life where that album really was like my soundtrack I still listen to it, from time to time.
Old 07-08-14, 10:56 PM

mine too

have you heard the 2011 remaster? the 'gunshot' is LOUD.
Old 07-09-14, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, and they ruin the flow by adding "When The Tigers Broke Free". Good thing I have the original issue on vinyl.
Old 07-09-14, 03:47 AM

That was actually on the earlier 2004 remaster.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Kaos is pretty poor overall. Even the stronger songs are not as good as the material on Pros and Cons. But Amused to Death isn't that much better. A couple strong songs (but better than those on Kaos) but still much still so much filler.

I've always figured the first DG and RW solo releases were made up of songs meant for PF which is why they are stronger overall. But both sill not quite up to par with the actual PF releases. And while many consider MLoR a DG solo aulbum, I feel it's much better than even some older PF releases, including TFC.
I agree that there is a lot of filler on Amused to Death but Perfect Sense I and II, The Bravery of Being out of Range, It's a Miracle, and Amused to Death are so well-made in all the different sound textures and stylings that it's enough. If you can use Marv Albert in a song and it not be completely corny, that's major points.

Yes, I too think you could make some a couple of awesome Pink Floyd albums with selected items from all of the albums post TFC.
Old 07-09-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
I agree that there is a lot of filler on Amused to Death but Perfect Sense I and II, The Bravery of Being out of Range, It's a Miracle, and Amused to Death are so well-made in all the different sound textures and stylings that it's enough. If you can use Marv Albert in a song and it not be completely corny, that's major points.

Yes, I too think you could make some a couple of awesome Pink Floyd albums with selected items from all of the albums post TFC.
I too think AtD has some great cuts. But the rest.... ugh. And I thought the filler in Kaos was bad.

I've often thought that a great PF release could have been made up from the best of the RW and DG solo releases. Have to wonder if at least some of them were leftover PF ideas that each took as their own.

I find this whole few cuts from each solo release dynamic to be quite common when a band with two or more leads breaks up. PF being somewhat unique because DG can get a little input from RW or DM and put out a release using the PF name. And from what we have seen released, DG saves most of his better stuff for the PF releases.
Old 07-09-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Since someone brought up "The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking" I always wondered .... what if?

“The idea for the album came concurrently with the idea for ‘The Wall’ — the basis of the idea,” Waters said. “I wrote both pieces at roughly the same time. And, in fact, I made demo tapes of them both — and, in fact, presented both demo tapes to the rest of the Floyd, and said, ‘Look, I’m going to do one of these as a solo project and we’ll do one as a band album, and you can choose.’ So, this was the one that was left over.”
The Road Not Taken: The History of Roger Waters’ ‘The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking’
Old 07-11-14, 03:36 AM

After listening to it again, I still don't hold it in high regard, but I appreciate Clapton's work here. I don't think Gilmour could have topped Clapton with the guitar work here; he doesn't do that southern-style like Clapton can and IMO that's the soul of the record.

And to think though, does Lethal Weapon exist as it does if Kamen, Clapton, and Sanborn don't work on this album?
Old 07-12-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Yeah, and they ruin the flow by adding "When The Tigers Broke Free". Good thing I have the original issue on vinyl.
What album is this a reference to?
Old 07-12-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
What album is this a reference to?
The Final Cut. The reissue plopped that song right in the middle of the track listing. Track 4, I believe.
Old 07-12-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Ok I just learned something that I had misrememberd since early 80's.

I always thought Tiger was a track that was not on The Wall but was still listed in the liner notes. So I Google it.

Turns out........

In advance of its release, technical constraints led to some changes being made to the running order and content of The Wall, with "What Shall We Do Now?" being replaced by the similar but shorter "Empty Spaces", and "Hey You" being moved from its original place at the end of side three, to the beginning. With the November 1979 deadline approaching, the band left the now-incorrect inner sleeves of the album unchanged.

So, there you go.
Old 07-12-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Years ago I got the 45" single of "When The Tigers Broke Free" since it was not on the album. The sleeve for the single was the screaming face image from the movie poster.

Should have always been on The Wall, but unlike others, I have no problem with it being on my The Final Cut CD.
Old 07-13-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Years ago I got the 45" single of "When The Tigers Broke Free" since it was not on the album.
That's one big single
Old 07-13-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.