Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Old 06-12-14, 08:32 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

I've been doing a bit of an overhaul of my CD collection, and I found quite a few that I no longer want.

Several of them are from before iPods or iTunes became an option, so naturally I've got some that are scratched up. Not heavily, but there's some scuffing on some from everyday use. I tested out a few and most of them are fine, but there's still a few that skipped.

I used the classic 'toothpaste' method, as I have in the past. The thing with that is, even though it stopped most of the scratched CD(s) from skipping, there's still scuffing on the disc(s), as the friction of the toothpaste on the disc creates tiny, lighter scratches to lessen the severity of the existing ones. The CDs that aren't fixable I'll probably just toss.

For the CDs that aren't scratched and the ones that I WAS able to fix, I'm not expecting to make too much money off of them. I'm not getting rid of anything incredibly rare or OOP. I just planned on going down to the mall and dumping them at FYE to get a few bucks cash - maybe even some store credit to go towards something else. So far I've got about 20 or 30 that I'm trying to get rid of.

Having gone to FYE before to sell CDs and DVDs, they're all about the disc's aesthetics - they won't accept discs with even a few light scratches, and as far as I know they don't even accept lightly scratched discs and resurface them. My question is, once you finish using Brasso or toothpaste, etc. to buff some scratches on a disc, is there anything else you can do to make it look good? Some sort of thing you can use as a polish? It would be a shame to have to completely trash some CDs that play perfectly fine just because they have a few light scratches on them.
Old 06-13-14, 06:50 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 7,522
Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

I will say, don't buy a cheapie machine for this. Some years back, I picked up a bunch of used games dirt cheap on the last day a Blockbuster was going out of business. I had enough that were scratched up that I decided to drop $30 or so on one of the little home resurfacers. It got most of them to the point where they'd play again, but basically would remove the deeper scratches, but ensure the entire disc had very light ones.
Old 06-16-14, 02:37 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
I will say, don't buy a cheapie machine for this. Some years back, I picked up a bunch of used games dirt cheap on the last day a Blockbuster was going out of business. I had enough that were scratched up that I decided to drop $30 or so on one of the little home resurfacers. It got most of them to the point where they'd play again, but basically would remove the deeper scratches, but ensure the entire disc had very light ones.
I definitely won't be going down that road. About 10 or 11 years back I got a Skip Doctor thinking it would maybe repair a few scuffed up CDs and DVDs I had. It managed to improve very few of the scratched discs I had, and it left all of them looking like somebody took a pencil eraser to the underside of the discs.
Old 06-24-14, 04:53 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,187
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

You can laugh all you want but this always worked for me....dip them in boiling (or close to boiling) water for 15 minutes or so.
Old 06-24-14, 05:50 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 9,351
Received 121 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

I'm gonna have to actually try that one of these days...
Old 06-24-14, 05:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,187
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Forgot to mention...if you do try the hot water method - heat up the water THEN put the disc in...don't keep the water boiling while the disc is in.

This method worked for me with some of the worst scratched discs I had - not saying it's always going to work but it worked for me plenty of times.
Old 06-24-14, 06:57 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
You can laugh all you want but this always worked for me....dip them in boiling (or close to boiling) water for 15 minutes or so.
I've heard of this before but I've been reluctant to try. How does that help?
Old 06-24-14, 08:39 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 7,964
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Banana peel.
Old 06-24-14, 11:38 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,187
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Not sure at all. It definitely doesn't damage them either.
Old 06-25-14, 12:51 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,659
Received 323 Likes on 277 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

As someone that still purchases CDs, both new and used, I will only accept a buffed disc if I have no other good option. Resurfaced CDs definitely sell for less on the used market, which is why most used CD stores have gotten so picky about accepting less-than-pristine copies.
Old 06-25-14, 02:27 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Not sure at all. It definitely doesn't damage them either.
Does it make the discs look better as well?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
As someone that still purchases CDs, both new and used, I will only accept a buffed disc if I have no other good option. Resurfaced CDs definitely sell for less on the used market, which is why most used CD stores have gotten so picky about accepting less-than-pristine copies.
It sucks because most CD players nowadays WILL play discs that have light scratches or scuffing. Obviously not heavily scratched, but ones that are caused by regular use. So it's a shame that most record stores like FYE will not accept even lightly scratched CDs that play fine, especially when they have professional resurfacing machines that can buff the discs to look as good as new.
Old 06-25-14, 02:38 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,659
Received 323 Likes on 277 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
It sucks because most CD players nowadays WILL play discs that have light scratches or scuffing. Obviously not heavily scratched, but ones that are caused by regular use. So it's a shame that most record stores like FYE will not accept even lightly scratched CDs that play fine, especially when they have professional resurfacing machines that can buff the discs to look as good as new.
The only people left buying CDs are collectors. In general they don't want buffed CDs.
Old 06-25-14, 10:54 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,471
Received 812 Likes on 595 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
So it's a shame that most record stores like FYE will not accept even lightly scratched CDs that play fine, especially when they have professional resurfacing machines that can buff the discs to look as good as new.
Interesting... Considering that it's not unusual for a brand new CD or DVD to be scratched, I wonder if these stores would get pissy if I wanted to exchange every new CD or DVD I bought there that had a tiny little scratch or scuff on it.
Old 06-27-14, 04:06 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,187
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by rjh_54 View Post
Does it make the discs look better as well?

No, it will look the same....it never "goes back" to skipping/not playing though.

Old 06-28-14, 09:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CD Resurfacing / Polishing at home

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The only people left buying CDs are collectors. In general they don't want buffed CDs.
I don't think that's necessarily always the case. I do know quite a few people who buy CDs simply because they prefer owning the physical album for whatever reason (for the additional artwork, if they only have a CD player in their car, etc.)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Interesting... Considering that it's not unusual for a brand new CD or DVD to be scratched, I wonder if these stores would get pissy if I wanted to exchange every new CD or DVD I bought there that had a tiny little scratch or scuff on it.
I can't tell you how many used CDs I bought from FYE that have been scratched or scuffed up but still play. This doesn't bother me, so long as the disc plays on both of my CD players (car and home). Yet every time I bring in discs that are in similar or even better shape than those I've purchased from them they will not accept them.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.