DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Amazon to Launch Streaming Music Service 6/12/14 (tomorrow) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/620587-amazon-launch-streaming-music-service-6-12-14-tomorrow.html)

bacigalup 06-11-14 04:53 PM

Amazon to Launch Streaming Music Service 6/12/14 (tomorrow)

From the NY Post website:

Amazon is set to launch its own streaming music offering Thursday, according to sources.

Chasing Apple’s recent $3 billion deal to acquire Beats Music, the online giant is throwing its hat in the ring. Google is also in talks to acquire Songza, another streaming music service.

The new Amazon music service will be available to those who subscribe to Amazon Prime, its paid shopping membership option, sources told The Post. Amazon Prime costs $99 and also offers a streaming video service that competes with Netflix.

Amazon is also reportedly developing its own phone hardware.

The new offering is expected to kick off Thursday and is described as a truncated version of Spotify. Consumers would be able to access a limited catalogue of songs, but none of them would be the most recent chart toppers.

The independent music labels, Sony Music and Warner Music Group are believed to have signed on to license their music while Universal Music has yet to agree to a deal.

One source said the service is heavy on playlists such as particular music categories. Amazon also sells music at its website.

One industry source said the music industry was behind the idea because it could grow into something much larger. “We wanted to support it. It is a steppingstone. It shows that music is a priority for Amazon.”

http://nypost.com/2014/06/11/amazon-...music-service/

superdeluxe 06-12-14 01:15 AM

It appears Amazon Prime Music has launched

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/prom...glink129408-20

Free with your prime membership

Over a million songs and hundreds of playlists.
Unlimited, ad-free streaming.
Free with Amazon Prime.

Why So Blu? 06-12-14 02:04 AM

Re: It appears Amazon Prime Music has launched

There's some good stuff there. You gotta dig but there's tons of gems in there.

Decker 06-12-14 08:30 AM

It's not Spotify, but for free it's very nice.

edit : I was able to upgrade my app on my HTC One through the Play Store, but it wouldn't upgrade on my wife's Galaxy S5. She still doesn't have access to Prime Music yet. Weird.

Gdrlv 06-12-14 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12136485)
It's not Spotify, but for free it's very nice.

edit : I was able to upgrade my app on my HTC One through the Play Store, but it wouldn't upgrade on my wife's Galaxy S5. She still doesn't have access to Prime Music yet. Weird.

Weirder. It is available on my HTC One as well. But not for my Kindle Fire HDX. And of course, none of Amazon's music services are available for Fire TV.

GatorDeb 06-12-14 11:43 AM

Re: Amazon to Launch Streaming Music Service 6/12/14 (tomorrow)

Really digging it. Top Pop Songs of the 2000 is cool. They have pre-made playlists. And at no additional cost!

$8.25 a month is a steal for unlimited 2nd-day shipping, music, movie, and tv streaming, one book rental a month, and a free Kindle First book a month. With those HBO shows the movie and tv streaming is one of the best.

Groucho 06-12-14 12:05 PM

Thanks for clarifying that 6/12/2014 is tomorrow.

Mr. Salty 06-12-14 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12136739)
Thanks for clarifying that 6/12/2014 is tomorrow.

But tomorrow is 6/13/2014.

B.A. 06-12-14 12:11 PM

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...350582728_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_dmusi...ode=8335758011

GatorDeb 06-12-14 12:12 PM

Groucho use your Mod Prowess to change the title to The Offical Amazon Prime Music Streaming Thread ? :D

GatorDeb 06-12-14 12:38 PM

You can download playlists for offline playing :D

Goat3001 06-12-14 01:20 PM

Looking at the catalog, it doesn't seem like this is a good enough Spotify replacement.

DJLinus 06-12-14 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bacigalup (Post 12135934)
Amazon is also reportedly developing its own phone hardware.

I wonder if they'll roll it into their existing music player/store app. Seems like that would make more sense than having an entirely separate app for the service. At least, I'd appreciate one less app to clutter up my phone.

EDIT: Derrrr. I misread the above as software, not hardware. Just checking my Amazon Appstore App, there's no update for the existing MP3 Store app, but there's an entirely new, all-encompassing Amazon Music app now available. Guess I'll delete the old one.

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 12136751)
Groucho use your Mod Prowess to change the title to The Offical Amazon Prime Music Streaming Thread ? :D

It's a shame my confusingly-titled thread about this from a couple of weeks ago didn't make the cut. :( ;)

davidh777 06-12-14 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus (Post 12136879)
It's a shame my confusingly-titled thread about this from a couple of weeks ago didn't make the cut. :( ;)

There was also this thread

stvn1974 06-12-14 02:47 PM

For some reason when I ordered digital music from amazon and later when I would get the autorip of CDs that I purchased the albums like Sgt. Pepper and Darkside Of The Moon didn't have gapless playback. I wonder if this will?

Geofferson 06-12-14 02:54 PM

Nice addition for existing prime members. I primarily have used Songza and will definitely use this from some of the playlists I've seen thus far. Not interested in paying for a separate subscription service for music.

Moopher 06-12-14 05:39 PM

Is there an app for this or desktop only for now?

DJLinus 06-12-14 05:52 PM

So I wonder if there are any artists, albums, or songs that are exclusive to Prime.

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 12137245)
Is there an app for this or desktop only for now?

Apps: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1001316131

Moopher 06-12-14 06:09 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Decker 06-12-14 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus (Post 12136879)
Just checking my Amazon Appstore App, there's no update for the existing MP3 Store app, but there's an entirely new, all-encompassing Amazon Music app now available. Guess I'll delete the old one.

if you delete the app and re download it, do you need to re-authorize the device? Because they're kind of mean when it comes to that. I messed up authorizing my new Roku and now I have an empty spot tied up for another month

DJLinus 06-13-14 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12137402)
if you delete the app and re download it, do you need to re-authorize the device? Because they're kind of mean when it comes to that. I messed up authorizing my new Roku and now I have an empty spot tied up for another month

I spoke too soon when I wrote that. For some reason, I thought I got the Amazon MP3 store app through the Amazon App Store app and I wasn't seeing any update. But then I checked the Play Store and the update was there. So no need for me redownload it.

Groucho 06-13-14 10:15 AM

It seems like tomorrow will never get here. :(

Decker 01-13-15 09:49 PM

So today there's something different : while I'm not remotely interested in either one, the two biggest new albums coming out today - Meghan Trainor - Title and Mark Ronson - Uptown Special are both available on Prime Music on the release date (instead of six months after release like almost every album made available before excluding that U2 album). While those two albums do nothing for me, perhaps it's a sign they're moving to a more consumer-friendly business model?

davidh777 01-16-15 11:38 AM

It is pretty surprising to have those "free." I'm guessing it's a specific marketing move, like the time they had the Lady Gaga album free on release date. In both cases, they were building their brand (then MP3, now Prime).

TheBang 06-25-17 09:24 PM

Hey all, I've got some T-Mobile Tuesday codes for their Amazon Music Unlimited subscription (it's like Spotify Premium). These are good for 2 free months of ad-free streaming service ($20 value, limit 1 code per account). Can be used for existing Music Unlimited accounts. If you're a new Music Unlimited user, you will also get an additional 30-day free trial on top of it.
After the free period, the subscription will automatically renew on your credit card, so make sure to cancel if you don't want to continue.

https://amazon.com/tmobiletuesdays

JCTM-HABL87-43MADV
JC2R-MUPBVV-2884WL
JCHZ-L2DBSK-ZLTFVU
JCA5-XDHRX3-HU5PYJ
JCH6-KK3EZD-SDN7VG
JC3K-2HNT39-7RPJQ5

These need to be redeemed by Tuesday morning.