Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullshit.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullshit.

Old 06-09-14, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Granted his voice has changed, and he might not be able to hit all the notes he once could. But the man still has pipes. He hit the stage for the first time since 95 with the Eels a couple weeks ago and it is fucking AWESOME. His voice is a bit raspy now, but has so much soul.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NZ4_P7TG_qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-09-14, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/86vD3nsua_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-09-14, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh

I'd rather see a band with the actual singer, even if he/she wasn't quite as good, than someone who was imitating how they once sounded.

Good for Steve
Old 06-09-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
it is fucking AWESOME.
Speaking of total bullshit...

Old 06-09-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yikes, after watching the two videos I'm kinda torn. Big Journey fan, don't care what anyone thinks about that. On one hand I agree with astrochimp and want to see the original singer, but wow his voice has really fallen off. I even liked a lot of Steve's solo stuff but I think his throat/voice is shredded.
Old 06-09-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I'd rather see a band with the actual singer, even if he/she wasn't quite as good, than someone who was imitating how they once sounded.

Good for Steve
I could mostly agree with that, except that Steve Perry was not the original singer for Journey. He wasn't even the second singer for them.

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Yikes, after watching the two videos I'm kinda torn. Big Journey fan, don't care what anyone thinks about that. On one hand I agree with astrochimp and want to see the original singer, but wow his voice has really fallen off. I even liked a lot of Steve's solo stuff but I think his throat/voice is shredded.
Well, that's what tends to happen when you stop singing professionally for a decade plus. Hell, I certainly can't sing like I used to two decades ago, and I was never even close to a Steve Perry level of vocal talent.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-09-14 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-09-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
I could mostly agree with that, except that Steve Perry was not the original singer for Journey. He wasn't even the second singer for them.

That is why I said "actual" singer as opposed to original. He's the one most people associate with the band during their peak years.
Old 06-09-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
That is why I said "actual" singer as opposed to original. He's the one most people associate with the band during their peak years.
Fair enough.
Old 06-10-14, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you guys are on drugs. For 64 years old, for not performing publicly in 19 years, I think he sounds damn good. He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?
Old 06-10-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?
Journey's "tribute" band singer Arnel does.
Old 06-10-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Journey's "tribute" band singer Arnel does.
That guys is such a whiny little twat though. "Waaah waah, I want to go home. He can have his job back"....etc. Oh it must suck so bad.
Old 06-10-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had to deal with Neil Schon and Jonathan Cain everyday you would want to quit too.
Old 06-11-14, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was confused. I thought for a minute we were talking about “Steve Perry” not Steve Perry.

Old 06-11-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

you guys are on drugs. For 64 years old, for not performing publicly in 19 years, I think he sounds damn good. He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?
Ann Wilson is 63 and still sounds damn good. Here she is from 2012 getting Robert Plant all misty-eyed at the Kennedy Center Honors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mf2O3OAQjng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-11-14, 08:28 PM

What does that have to do with Steve Perry?
Old 06-12-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
What does that have to do with Steve Perry?
It was pointed out that age might be a reason why his voice isn't like it use to be. I was pointing out that age is just a number and some people can still hit the highs without straining.
Old 06-15-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Ann Wilson is 63 and still sounds damn good. Here she is from 2012 getting Robert Plant all misty-eyed at the Kennedy Center Honors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mf2O3OAQjng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Then again, she does still perform on a regular basis, so I would guess that means her voice is more in shape.
Old 06-16-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Always been a fan of his and always admired his voice. On that note, I think I would like to hear him in person rather than through someones cell phone audio to make a determination.
Old 06-16-14, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-16-14, 03:36 AM

The question is... what is Steve Perry doing performing with Eels? Is this the same Eels that had that "Novocaine for the Soul" song back in the 90's???
Old 06-16-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll tell you who can't sing anymore - Steve Augeri, the guy that first replaced Perry. Check him on the 80s Rewind Festival on Paladia. Holy crap that voice is shredded.
Old 06-16-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
The question is... what is Steve Perry doing performing with Eels? Is this the same Eels that had that "Novocaine for the Soul" song back in the 90's???
I know. I can't think of a band that is less likely to have Steve Perry sing with them. Apparently Steve Perry is a fan of the band. Obviously his taste has broadened since he was in Journey.
Old 06-16-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

His voice is fine. Put him back in the studio and it'll sound just like "Escape" all over again
Old 06-16-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I was pointing out that age is just a number
Were you snapping your fingers and shaking your head side-to-side while typing that? Please say 'Yes'.
Old 06-16-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's better than his 2005 performance

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/504B3iR5M_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.