DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullshit. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/620523-so-turns-out-whole-steve-perry-cant-sing-anymore-rumour-total-bullshit.html)

Hazel Motes 06-09-14 04:11 AM

So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullshit.
 
Granted his voice has changed, and he might not be able to hit all the notes he once could. But the man still has pipes. He hit the stage for the first time since 95 with the Eels a couple weeks ago and it is fucking AWESOME. His voice is a bit raspy now, but has so much soul.



<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NZ4_P7TG_qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hazel Motes 06-09-14 04:16 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/86vD3nsua_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

astrochimp 06-09-14 06:10 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
I'd rather see a band with the actual singer, even if he/she wasn't quite as good, than someone who was imitating how they once sounded.

Good for Steve :up:

printerati 06-09-14 08:55 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12131754)
it is fucking AWESOME.

Speaking of total bullshit...









;)

Barth 06-09-14 09:51 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
Yikes, after watching the two videos I'm kinda torn. Big Journey fan, don't care what anyone thinks about that. On one hand I agree with astrochimp and want to see the original singer, but wow his voice has really fallen off. I even liked a lot of Steve's solo stuff but I think his throat/voice is shredded.

Rocketdog2000 06-09-14 10:46 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 12131778)
I'd rather see a band with the actual singer, even if he/she wasn't quite as good, than someone who was imitating how they once sounded.

Good for Steve :up:

I could mostly agree with that, except that Steve Perry was not the original singer for Journey. He wasn't even the second singer for them.


Originally Posted by Barth (Post 12133331)
Yikes, after watching the two videos I'm kinda torn. Big Journey fan, don't care what anyone thinks about that. On one hand I agree with astrochimp and want to see the original singer, but wow his voice has really fallen off. I even liked a lot of Steve's solo stuff but I think his throat/voice is shredded.

Well, that's what tends to happen when you stop singing professionally for a decade plus. Hell, I certainly can't sing like I used to two decades ago, and I was never even close to a Steve Perry level of vocal talent.

astrochimp 06-09-14 11:17 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 12133431)
I could mostly agree with that, except that Steve Perry was not the original singer for Journey. He wasn't even the second singer for them.


That is why I said "actual" singer as opposed to original. He's the one most people associate with the band during their peak years.

Rocketdog2000 06-09-14 11:36 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 12133464)
That is why I said "actual" singer as opposed to original. He's the one most people associate with the band during their peak years.

Fair enough.

Hazel Motes 06-10-14 03:35 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
you guys are on drugs. For 64 years old, for not performing publicly in 19 years, I think he sounds damn good. He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?

mickey65 06-10-14 07:57 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12133596)
He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?

Journey's "tribute" band singer Arnel does.

bunkaroo 06-10-14 09:27 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 12133654)
Journey's "tribute" band singer Arnel does.

That guys is such a whiny little twat though. "Waaah waah, I want to go home. He can have his job back"....etc. Oh it must suck so bad.

Unclejosh 06-10-14 11:35 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
If you had to deal with Neil Schon and Jonathan Cain everyday you would want to quit too.

The Bus 06-11-14 06:37 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
I was confused. I thought for a minute we were talking about “Steve Perry” not Steve Perry.

<img src="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BaNemsUrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg">

TomOpus 06-11-14 02:24 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12133596)
you guys are on drugs. For 64 years old, for not performing publicly in 19 years, I think he sounds damn good. He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?

Ann Wilson is 63 and still sounds damn good. Here she is from 2012 getting Robert Plant all misty-eyed at the Kennedy Center Honors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mf2O3OAQjng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mickey65 06-11-14 08:28 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
What does that have to do with Steve Perry? :scratch2:

TomOpus 06-12-14 01:33 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 12136135)
What does that have to do with Steve Perry? :scratch2:

It was pointed out that age might be a reason why his voice isn't like it use to be. I was pointing out that age is just a number and some people can still hit the highs without straining.

Alvis 06-15-14 03:48 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12135727)
Ann Wilson is 63 and still sounds damn good. Here she is from 2012 getting Robert Plant all misty-eyed at the Kennedy Center Honors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mf2O3OAQjng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then again, she does still perform on a regular basis, so I would guess that means her voice is more in shape.

VHS? 06-16-14 12:12 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
Always been a fan of his and always admired his voice. On that note, I think I would like to hear him in person rather than through someones cell phone audio to make a determination.

Sonic 06-16-14 01:10 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12133596)
you guys are on drugs. For 64 years old, for not performing publicly in 19 years, I think he sounds damn good. He doesn't sound like young Steve Perry obviously, but then again, who the fuck does?

:thumbsup:

JZ1276 06-16-14 03:36 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
The question is... what is Steve Perry doing performing with Eels? Is this the same Eels that had that "Novocaine for the Soul" song back in the 90's???

DVD Josh 06-16-14 07:37 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
I'll tell you who can't sing anymore - Steve Augeri, the guy that first replaced Perry. Check him on the 80s Rewind Festival on Paladia. Holy crap that voice is shredded.

cungar 06-16-14 10:32 AM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 12140555)
The question is... what is Steve Perry doing performing with Eels? Is this the same Eels that had that "Novocaine for the Soul" song back in the 90's???

I know. I can't think of a band that is less likely to have Steve Perry sing with them. Apparently Steve Perry is a fan of the band. Obviously his taste has broadened since he was in Journey.

VHS? 06-16-14 12:40 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
His voice is fine. Put him back in the studio and it'll sound just like "Escape" all over again ;)

Mikael79 06-16-14 01:00 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12136856)
I was pointing out that age is just a number

Were you snapping your fingers and shaking your head side-to-side while typing that? Please say 'Yes'.

GuessWho 06-16-14 06:28 PM

Re: So it turns out the whole "Steve Perry can't sing anymore" rumour is total bullsh
 
Well, it's better than his 2005 performance

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/504B3iR5M_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.