DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands/Artists that could support their own XM station (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/620087-bands-artists-could-support-their-own-xm-station.html)

bralph 05-16-14 07:42 AM

Bands/Artists that could support their own XM station

Of course we already have Margaritaville (Jimmy Buffett) as well as Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, and I believe Billy Joel has one now. I am sure there are others too that I'm missing. Who else do you think has the catalog to support their own XM station?

I submit Prince. It will never happen, but it would be great to have his own station, especially if he made live recordings, remixes and demos available to it. He has a huge catalog of music even without that though, as well as a number of related artists and collaborators.

I know he doesn't get much airplay now, but I don't think that matters much. Jimmy Buffett certainly isn't played much outside of his own station, although Jimmy has done a much better job of managing his "brand" than Prince has.

Jason 05-16-14 09:10 AM

Re: Bands/Artists that could support their own XM station

Rush (just because I want it)
Rolling Stones (lots of material that never gets air play, must cover entire career though)
Dream Theater (so many non-album recordings, live sets, covers, etc out there)

movieking 05-16-14 09:17 AM

Prince was the first person to come to mind for me. Love his stuff, and like you said, so many other things outside of canon, there would be more than enough to sustain a station.

I have to admit, not really enjoying the Billy Joel station. I find his lesser known work is lesser known for a reason.

BearFan 05-16-14 09:47 AM

If they want to go hard rock/metal ... an Iron Maiden station would be cool. Tons of live recordings, and B-sides

Dan 05-16-14 10:14 AM

Beatles, and I'd re-subscribe to XM just for that.

Alyoshka 05-16-14 11:50 AM

I think there is also a Grateful Dead Station. I would like to see one for Pink Floyd.

Drexl 05-16-14 01:09 PM

Bob Dylan.

rexinnih 05-16-14 02:34 PM

Have satellite in the car and have the Elvis and Dead stations programmed. Listened to the Bowie station when they had that for a few weeks a couple of months back.

I could see a Beatles or Stones and would add them to my rotation. As is there is pretty much a station (or two) for your taste.

stvn1974 05-16-14 02:59 PM

The Grateful Dead and Springsteen stations are great and I would love a Bob Dylan or Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd channel.

Not fans in the least but Phish and Dave Mattew's Band would be able to fill a 24 hour station nicely.

I recently went on a 4 hour trip with my dad and we had it on the Dead station so we basically listened to one show, HAH!

rw2516 05-16-14 04:23 PM

Sinatra. I must have something like 60 cds of his and that's just to mid 1960s.

stvn1974 05-16-14 04:40 PM

Miles Davis and I would buy a lifetime subscription.

cdollaz 05-16-14 07:17 PM

Zappa

Michael Corvin 05-16-14 09:01 PM

My first thought was a Grateful Dead station(didn't know there was one). They could probably put 3-4 tracks on a 24/7 loop and deadheads wouldn't even notice. ;)

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 12108253)
Dream Theater (so many non-album recordings, live sets, covers, etc out there)

Even though I have every album, live albums, singles, official bootlegs and probably a hundred concerts I'd re-subscribe to Sirius for a Dream Theater station.

DVD Josh 05-16-14 09:11 PM

Prince is a good one.

Smashing Pumpkins is another.

A-aron 05-17-14 05:18 AM

Beastie Boys

Nick Danger 05-17-14 05:44 AM

I would get bored hearing the same songs every single day. Most artists don't have nearly enough material to support a channel by themselves.

In the late 1970s, the Boston radio station WCOZ played a marathon of every song by the Beatles in alphabetical order. They included the Christmas records and other rarities. It only took about 15 hours. A few months later they did the same thing with the Rolling Stones. They had a bigger catalog, but it still took less than 24 hours.

Rob V 05-17-14 07:51 AM

Prince
Foo Fighters / Nirvana combo
Zeppelin

Michael Corvin 05-17-14 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 12109200)
I would get bored hearing the same songs every single day. Most artists don't have nearly enough material to support a channel by themselves.

Stations like these also pull from solo/side projects, or even have band members make playlists of what they like and stuff like that to pad it out.

It'll never happen but with the solo & side projects, DT has more than enough content to do something like this. Question would be if Portnoy's stuff (as he was the most prolific on the side) would be fair game or if he's still butthurt about not being let back in the band.

Apple Gooncha 05-17-14 09:17 AM

King Crimson

On top of the plethora of live stuff, if it included Fripp solo material/collaborative material and other related side projects, it could probably loop for several days.

UAIOE 05-17-14 12:00 PM

I'd say KMFDM.

You have all their main releases (which is 20 some CD's of stuff), but you can include solo/side projects/remixes, Slick Idiot, Mona Mur & En Esch, PIG. Then you could also include the music groups that guest musicians are normally associated with (Ogre = Skinny Puppy). Then there is always the "what are your favorite songs/who inspired you" playlists.

Plausible, but never ever gonna happen.

The Dude 05-17-14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Alyoshka (Post 12108418)
I think there is also a Grateful Dead Station. I would like to see one for Pink Floyd.

You're in luck!

http://www.siriusxm.com/pinkfloyd

B5Erik 05-17-14 12:47 PM

KISS.

Love them or hate them they've got a huge catalog to minimize repetition and a fairly large fanbase to support the station.

It will, of course, never happen - but it would work if they tried it.

dan30oly 05-17-14 03:11 PM

Inxs

Ropes Pierre 05-18-14 02:03 PM

Tom waits and Leonard Cohen

auto 05-18-14 04:18 PM

Wouldn't be popular, but I'd love a Mike Patton station.