DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Pixies -- "Indie Cindy" -- New Album -- April 29, 2014 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/618996-pixies-indie-cindy-new-album-april-29-2014-a.html)

auto 03-24-14 05:46 PM

Pixies -- "Indie Cindy" -- New Album -- April 29, 2014

Pixes have announced their first new studio album since 1991's Trompe Le Monde. It's called Indie Cindy (yes, really, I'm so sorry), which is also the name of a track from last year's EP-1. Indie Cindy is comprised of the tracks from EP-1 and this year's EP-2, as well as the just-released EP-3. So at least we know what we're getting into here.

Former bassists Kim Deal and Kim Shattuck, as well as current touring bassist Paz Lenchantin, do not appear on the album. The trio of Black Francis, Joey Santiago, and David Lovering was joined by bassist "Ding", aka Simon Archer, for the recording.

The tracks were produced by Gil Norton, who also produced Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe Le Monde. It will be released via the band's own Pixiesmusic imprint on April 29 in North America, April 28 in Europe/internationally and April 23 in Japan. The artwork is by 4AD's legendary signature artist Vaughan Oliver, who also did all of the classic Pixies art.
A limited, 5,000-run deluxe edition of Indie Cindy available via the band's website will also feature a 13-track live album, Live in the USA, recorded on the band's recent tour with Lenchantin. The album is also available on CD, vinyl, and digital download, and as an expanded digital download with the live album. There will also be a special Record Store Day release.
Indie Cindy:
01 What Goes Boom
02 Greens and Blues
03 Indie Cindy
04 Bagboy
05 Magdalena 318
06 Silver Snail
07 Blue Eyed Hexe
08 Ring the Bell
09 Another Toe in the Ocean
10 Andro Queen
11 Snakes
12 Jaime Bravo

Live in the USA:
01 Bone Machine
02 Hey
03 Ana
04 Magdalena 318
05 Snakes
06 Indie Cindy
07 I've Been Tired
08 Head On
09 The Sad Punk
10 Distance Equals Rate Times Time
11 Something Against You
12 Isla de Encanta
13 Planet of Sound

-------

I once dreamed about this day, but now I'm just dreading it. I wish it was all new material and not the EPs.

Supermallet 03-24-14 06:23 PM

Re: Pixies -- "Indie Cindy" -- New Album -- April 29, 2014

I did not love the EPs. I did enjoy seeing them live again, but I think my love affair with The Pixies stops after their third album.

The Antipodean 03-24-14 07:20 PM

Kim Deal was an essential part of what made the Pixies work. For evidence, look at Frank Black's rather all over the show solo career - some great stuff, a lot of filler. I'd actually argue the Breeders have had a stronger post-Pixies career than Frank Black, myself. So yeah, this "Pixies" release isn't for me….

cdollaz 03-24-14 08:20 PM

The first 2 EPs have been very weak, so I'm not really interested in this.

Teenager Of The Year alone is many times better than the entirety of The Breeders catalog put together.

Cusm 03-24-14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 12055772)
Kim Deal was an essential part of what made the Pixies work. For evidence, look at Frank Black's rather all over the show solo career - some great stuff, a lot of filler. I'd actually argue the Breeders have had a stronger post-Pixies career than Frank Black, myself. So yeah, this "Pixies" release isn't for me….

This times 100. Not a single Frank release stands up to any of Kim's releases.

Supermallet 03-24-14 10:25 PM

Frank's made plenty of interesting music post-Pixies. However, none of that seems to have translated into his new Pixies material.

auto 03-24-14 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 12055813)
The first 2 EPs have been very weak, so I'm not really interested in this.

Teenager Of The Year alone is many times better than the entirety of The Breeders catalog put together.

Yep, that record is top notch.

nodeerforamonth 03-28-14 08:48 AM

Thanks for the info. This is the only place I could find this information!

Any idea what's different for the Record Store Day release?

nodeerforamonth 04-19-14 02:12 PM

The Record Store Day release does NOT come with a live album. :( That was the only reason I bought it!

nodeerforamonth 04-19-14 02:13 PM

It does come with a bonus 7" though.

The album's tracks are spread through the 2 LPs

dvduser6 04-25-14 07:50 PM

I streamed the album earlier this week. Not bad, but it obviously will be overshadowed by the excellent output of their peak years. I was checking out the website for the deluxe edition with the live tracks, but then saw the price. No way am I shelling out $40.00 for that. Hope they make the live album available in another format down the road...

Oliver Clothesoff 04-29-14 07:50 AM

This is a very good album, with moments of greatness (Greens & Blues, Indie Cindy, Andro Queen) that are much different from past Pixies albums. (Though Another Toe in the Ocean is one of BF's worst songs). Really miss that female counterpoint to Francis's fury, but hopefully the next album will have more of that if they make Paz a permanent member as rumored.

The negative reviews are excessively harsh and I'm not really sure why... some people are joyless fucks I guess and most of them are not even old enough to have a significant history with the band. If your first exposure to them was Fight Club, you probably shouldn't be criticizing.

dvduser6 04-29-14 07:27 PM

Listening to it again now. A much different experience getting to blast it in my car during the course of the day versus streaming it via the web last week. Very well done and an absolute steal at $7.99 thanks to Best Buy this week. Any casual Pixies fan should be pleased, although I agree with Oliver that Kim Deal's presence is sorely missed. Either way, a welcome return for a band that is 75% the Pixies.

kstublen 04-29-14 10:20 PM

Amazon is also offering it for $7.99 now, seems they've price-matched Best Buy.

EctoCooler 05-07-14 08:24 PM

No Deal = No deal.

dvduser6 05-09-14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by EctoCooler (Post 12100258)
No Deal = No deal.

In all seriousness, don't let Kim's absence dissuade you from checking this out. It doesn't sound like a Frank Black solo album with Pixies members doing guest spots. I'm really liking it.