DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The 'Shiny Toy Guns' Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/618944-shiny-toy-guns-thread.html)

Why So Blu? 03-21-14 11:53 PM

The 'Shiny Toy Guns' Thread

I scooped up their latest album called "III" and I really dig the band! I love synth-pop, new wave, dance, indie rock, etc., and they fully encapsulate the various styles.

Hell, I didn't even know that their current lead singer was not their former lead singer, so that's pretty cool. They had a 'Major Tom' cover with the old singer that was really popular, too.

This is their track from III:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yv3RVVi8Zrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like I will be checking out Metric next since that's who everyone keeps saying is somewhat similar to these cats.

Jason 03-22-14 10:33 AM

Re: The 'Shiny Toy Guns' Thread

"Le Disko" was a free download on iTunes ages ago, and it has somehow found it's way into my big random playlist on my iPod. Fun, if nothing else.

This song is very 80's, but other than that it doesn't do much for me.

UAIOE 03-22-14 12:53 PM

I really liked their song "Ricochet", but I know that song isn't really indicative of their overall sound.

nickdawgy 03-25-14 04:20 AM

Great band. Season of Poison (the one that has Ricochet with Sisely Treasure instead of Carah Faye) isn't a bad album, but III and We Are Pilots are better.

Why So Blu? 03-25-14 11:00 AM

This track is pretty killer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jJH38M723aU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UAIOE 03-25-14 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 12056105)
Great band. Season of Poison (the one that has Ricochet with Sisely Treasure instead of Carah Faye) isn't a bad album, but III and We Are Pilots are better.

I'm a KMFDM fan, and "Ricochet" didn't stray too far from some of their early 2000's sound (actually closer to MDFMK). Which might be why I liked it so much.

majorjoe23 04-21-14 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JoellHamby (Post 12083239)
sounds great

Bumping Old threads and adding nothing. You're going to spam us, aren't you?

Why So Blu? 09-11-14 11:25 PM

Was listening to some STG earlier and saw that they did a Blue Oyster Cult cover of "Burning For You," which sounds awesome, in my opinion. It's very synth pop-ish and that's why I like it!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3y4Zj60xcDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Other Self 09-11-14 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12231231)
Was listening to some STG earlier and saw that they did a Blue Oyster Cult cover of "Burning For You," which sounds awesome, in my opinion. It's very synth pop-ish and that's why I like it!

If you liked that, their version of Major Tom is my favorite cover of the song (and is better than the original, IMO):

Funny, I was thinking about this thread the earlier today when the original Major Tom was on Pandora while I was at work. I'm glad there's some appreciation for them. :up:

Why So Blu? 09-11-14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 12231234)
If you liked that, their version of Major Tom is my favorite cover of the song (and is better than the original, IMO):

Funny, I was thinking about this thread the earlier today when the original Major Tom was on Pandora while I was at work. I'm glad there's some appreciation for them. :up:

The STG cover of Major Tom along with Powerman 5000's cover are EPIC, IMO.

My Other Self 09-11-14 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12231250)
The STG cover of Major Tom along with Powerman 5000's cover are EPIC, IMO.

Not to derail, but P5K's cover of Relax is amazing.

Why So Blu? 09-12-14 12:04 AM

Indeed. They also put out an entire album full of covers and it rocked!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pRvWdRE2wQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stellar stuff!

Matthew Chmiel 09-12-14 03:02 PM

Powerman 5000?

What fucking year is this? 1999?

Why So Blu? 09-15-14 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12232104)
Powerman 5000?

What fucking year is this? 1999?

And that album (from '99) rocked!