Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Black Keys - Turn Blue - Out May 13th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-21-14, 04:23 PM

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,129 Posts

We now have the name and release date for The Black Keys’ eighth studio album, and you can thank former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson. As Pitchfork points out, Tyson tweeted out a link to a teaser trailer for the album, revealing the May 13th release of Turn Blue. Watch it below.

As previously reported, the band is expected to reveal the album’s lead single, “Fever”, this coming Monday.

Turn Blue marks the follow-up to 2011′s El Camino. In support, the band has already lined up several festival dates this summer, mostly in Europe. At the moment, their only confirmed American date is an appearance at Hangout Music Festival in May.
<iframe width="806" height="484" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zq40vTdaa2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's been 3 years since El Camino?? Damn... well... they were one of my favorites, but they are waaaaaaaaaay too overexposed these days.
Old 03-24-14, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Black Keys - Turn Blue - Out May 13th

Yea, supposedly their new song debuts today.
Old 03-24-14, 12:39 PM

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Yup:

<iframe width="806" height="484" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iZZUY32iCzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-24-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Not bad, but nothing special.
Old 05-15-14, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

another good record from this band. i'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 05-15-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On first listen, I was thinking they should have named the album Turn Pink, as the opening track "Weight Of Love" and "Bullet To The Brain" borrow heavily from "Breathe" off of Dark Side Of The Moon.
Old 05-15-14, 01:17 PM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

That single sounds like MGMT, and not in a good way. I hate it.
Old 05-15-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
That single sounds like MGMT, and not in a good way. I hate it.
I don't think it sounds like MGMT much at all. Then again, MGMT have changed their sound so much since their debut, who knows. I think I listened to their last album once, and none of it stuck with me.
Old 05-18-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to admit their strategy of not allowing the album on spotify got me to pony up for the LP. At $22.99 I would have waited for a deal but I was interested to hear it sooner rather than later.

I'm enjoying it more than the reviews would suggest.

Last edited by auto; 05-19-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 150 Posts

I initially liked Black Keys because they didn't sound like all the other lightweight hipster bands out there; their songs had some heft and weight. Some of this new stuff is starting to sound like those weightless hipster bands (like the aforementioned MGMT), and it's not what I listen to BK for.
Old 05-19-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I initially liked Black Keys because they didn't sound like all the other lightweight hipster bands out there; their songs had some heft and weight. Some of this new stuff is starting to sound like those weightless hipster bands (like the aforementioned MGMT), and it's not what I listen to BK for.

I have to agree with this, there are some good moments, but I think it is a pretty big slide from their previous work.
Old 05-19-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by auto View Post
Have to admit their strategy of not allowing the album on spotify got me to pony up for the LP. At $22.99 I would have waited for a deal but I was interested to hear it sooner rather than later.

I'm enjoying it more than the reviews would suggest.
The vinyl comes with a CD!? Why wasn't I told this? Would have made my decision much easier.
Old 05-19-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, I guess I'm in the minority but I like it much better than El Camino which never caught me like their earlier work. The single is the worse thing on the record.
Old 06-06-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Had to look up MGMT as I thought it was an abbreviation for a band....don't like them at all.

Turn Blue on the other hand....I think it's their most in depth work to date. It may not be as fast as their other albums but it's their most refined - seems like they finally found their sound with danger mouse.

It's also a step up from the formulaic El Camino - an album at which first you love but then realize how short and repetitive it is.

I'm not getting into slower music either as I get a tad older - I'm just becoming more patient with what I listen to. this album grew on me a bit and I'm hoping it continues to do so.

I don't think they are hipsterish either.
Old 10-25-14, 05:28 PM

Finally got around to listening to this album, and I'm not sure why I waited so long. I'm really digging it and actually like it better than El Camino as well.