Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AWOLNATION's "Megalithic Sympony"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

OK, so I know this has been out for a couple of years, but I don't keep up with most new music or listen to the radio, so I didn't have occasion to listen to this until recently. I notice no thread regarding this release was ever started here.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this. To me it's a noteworthy album of eccentric but catchy electronic pop and indie-rock tunes accentuated by front man Aaron Bruno's distinctively high-pitched, screechy-scratchy vocals, but the two 30-second stream-of-consciousness spoken tracks are completely incongruous and would have been better off elided.
Many here will be familiar with the heavy hit "Sail", but my favourite cuts are, first and foremost, the resonant "People", followed by "Not Your Fault" and "Jump on My Shoulders".
I look forward to the next release by this outfit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1pfqQ5q0Ca8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hjZVxgDQ2Vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hEzubO8dKdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: AWOLNATION's "Megalithic Sympony"

Just noticed I misspelled "symphony" in title; would appreciate a mod fixing it. Thanks.
Old 03-15-14, 01:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been listening to this album for the last few weeks as well. I agree about the spoken word tracks. I can see this band getting better with the next release. This album is pretty darn good for what it is. It surprises me that a lot of the other songs besides "Sail" haven't garnered much radio attention, or maybe I just haven't noticed.
Old 03-15-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks for the input, nasesco417.
Old 03-20-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I love "Kill Your Heroes" too. There's also a good Guilty Filthy Soul remix with Wale on RE/Sail remix album.