DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Prince suing his fans again [UPDATE: suit dropped] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/617597-prince-suing-his-fans-again-%5Bupdate-suit-dropped%5D.html)

lamphorn 01-27-14 08:22 PM

Prince suing his fans again [UPDATE: suit dropped]

There are articles everywhere if you're interested in the details, but apparently he's suing 22 Facebook users for millions of dollars for posting old bootleg videos of concerts from the 80's.

This is 100% foolish on so many levels, but it's mostly just another sign that he's a bitter shitheel. I remember the headlines "Prince: The Internet is Dead". He declared that the internet was a fad, like MTV, that will go away soon. And this wasn't in 1995.. this was in 2010!!! In 2007 he went and attacked his most loyal fans with crazy frivolous lawsuits, and not even over recordings. He claimed that his fansites had no legal right to use his image, likeness, or any of his lyrics. I mean, the man just hates being famous, maybe? Anyway, he's apparently banned his music from Youtube, and at least used to ban it from iTunes (I found some of his old stuff on there). Many other artists have figured out how to monetize Youtube with ad-support and allowing their older stuff to live online to keep themselves relevant. But Prince is an angry curmudgeon.

I get that in technical legal terms, an old grainy bootlegged video of a performance he did 30 years ago is copyrighted, but let's be real- he's not selling these videos. He doesn't bother to make any of this stuff available in any income-generating format and so he is NOT losing revenue from these videos (he was likely gaining new fans from them). Is that his right? Sure. Does he have the right to sue the couple dozen people (and the number must be dwindling) who still give a shit about his work and basically punish them for loving his work? I guess he has that right. He has the right to make himself irrelevant, hated, and forgotten by history. Kids are growing up now and have no idea who he is because he's locking his work away like J.D. Salinger. Well so be it. On behalf of his fans who've done nothing more than the same thing fans of every other recording artist does (and usually with their blessings): fuck Prince. I hope he performs his upcoming concerts to empty houses, because that seems to be what he wants. Hateful old coot.

Supermallet 01-27-14 08:59 PM

re: Prince suing his fans again [UPDATE: suit dropped]

Yeah, it's shitty, but I'll still pay top dollar to see him every chance I get. Because he puts on the best live shows I've ever had the privilege of seeing.

auto 01-27-14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11991932)
Yeah, it's shitty, but I'll still pay top dollar to see him every chance I get. Because he puts on the best live shows I've ever had the privilege of seeing.

Nope, fuck him. It's things like this that will be the reason I never see this amazing talent live.

Supermallet 01-27-14 11:06 PM

That's fine, better chance at good tickets for me!

Norm de Plume 01-27-14 11:11 PM

What an asshole. Good thing I'm not a fan.

brayzie 01-28-14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn (Post 11991915)

I get that in technical legal terms, an old grainy bootlegged video of a performance he did 30 years ago is copyrighted, but let's be real- he's not selling these videos. He doesn't bother to make any of this stuff available in any income-generating format and so he is NOT losing revenue from these videos (he was likely gaining new fans from them).

But how do you know, somewhere down the road he was going to release a collection on DVD of his old performances? Some people say that it's okay because the stuff is OOP or not available, but isn't that what eventually builds demand for old material?

That said, does he have to sue them? Can't he just ask Facebook to take footage down? People post stuff on youtube all the time and if there's a copyright complaint it just gets taken down.

In regards to Prince losing a new generation of fans by not having his stuff on youtube and so on, I see both sides of the issue. It's easy to just listen to music on youtube and hear it enough that you don't feel like you need to even bother buying the individual songs on itunes or amazon, let alone buying the actual album. When you don't have instant, repeated access to something like that, it makes you want to go out and buy the actual item.

On the other side of the coin Youtube is also how people check out new music, as well as older music. I've been checking out a lot of music on youtube, and it's where I finally listened to The Misfits and I ended up buying their first two albums and the second Collection album. There's A LOT of bands and singers I never would have heard of if not for Youtube. Checking out music on Youtube also reminds you how much you like a song or musician/group that you start finding out more about them and end up buying their product.

I never would have thought that videotaping parts of a concert and posting on you facebook page or youtube would get you sued. I see concert footage all the time on there and never thought anything of it.

maxfisher 01-28-14 05:48 AM

Did most concerts allow cameras in the 80s? It seems it would be difficult to film on the down low given the tech of the day and if the tapings were allowed, I'm not sure what claim he'd have. Definitely glad I never got into his music, as he really seems to like shitting on his fans. Didn't he urge people to destroy any of his albums they owned because he decided the labels putting them out hadn't paid him enough?

movieking 01-28-14 07:11 AM

I've seen a lot of concerts, and am a huge Springsteen fan, who I've also seen, but Prince was hands down the best concert I've ever seen. But he's still a dick.

inri222 01-28-14 08:28 AM

Saw him in 1985 on the Purple Rain tour with Shiela E. as the opening act. One of the greatest concerts I have ever seen. I used to own the VHS of the show they played in Syracuse, NY from this tour but it got swallowed up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Live_VHS.jpg

Here's the video :

<iframe width="530" height="400" src="http://video.naij.com/embed=iptqhemh" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stvn1974 01-28-14 11:02 AM

I wish I could sue all the assholes recording the shows that I go to with their phone. Bravo Prince, it is your music, sue them all.

cdollaz 01-28-14 11:53 AM

I used to have that VHS as well. I played the crap out of it.

Giantrobo 01-28-14 03:12 PM

It's his music and clearly/sadly he doesn't see it as "fan appreciation" so more power to him. Clearly, as already stated, his fans will still throw their money at him so either way Prince comes out on top, while coming all over the faces of loyal Prince Fans.

inri222 01-28-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 11992506)
I used to have that VHS as well. I played the crap out of it.

I also played it alot until one one of my VHS players got hungry and ate it.

brayzie 01-28-14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 11992196)
Didn't he urge people to destroy any of his albums they owned because he decided the labels putting them out hadn't paid him enough?

I didn't know that. I only heard that he didn't want people to buy The Black Album.

dvduser6 01-28-14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 11992270)
Saw him in 1985 on the Purple Rain tour with Shiela E. as the opening act. One of the greatest concerts I have ever seen. I used to own the VHS of the show they played in Syracuse, NY from this tour but it got swallowed up.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Live_VHS.jpg

Here's the video :

<iframe width="530" height="400" src="http://video.naij.com/embed=iptqhemh" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol:

auto 01-28-14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11992032)
That's fine, better chance at good tickets for me!

Not so fast. I'm still buying the good tickets but not attending. That'll show him. Empty seats!

Don't you dare sit in those seats!

Supermallet 01-28-14 06:42 PM

That's it, I'm suing you!

hanshotfirst1138 01-28-14 06:51 PM

Nothing new, there used to be tons of Dylan videos up on YouTube, now they're being taken down so fast heads will spin. Record labels understandably expect people to pay for their content, although this is just spitting on a fire-if people don't put this stuff on YouTube, it'll just kick around torrent sites and other places anyway. Shame too. I really liked the videos, and always do pay for CDs. I'm probably the last one who actually buys CDs. Now I want to get the new Dylan boxed set, but I seriously think that selling the old CDs will be impossible :p. I've been told that Prince puts on an electrifying live show, I've heard nothing but raves.

Josh-da-man 01-28-14 07:05 PM

Has anyone seen the stand-up Kevin Smith DVD where he talks about working with Prince?

It's funny as hell.

auto 01-28-14 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11993025)
That's it, I'm suing you!

Again?!

GuessWho 01-28-14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11993052)
Has anyone seen the stand-up Kevin Smith DVD where he talks about working with Prince?

It's funny as hell.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8LhcParuzpc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tommyp007 01-28-14 09:39 PM

"Chaka mad!"

brayzie 01-29-14 02:24 PM

I thought artists were using Youtube to show their music videos. Where does Prince air his music videos if he doesn't like Youtube or even the internet?

dvduser6 01-29-14 05:40 PM

Thanks for sharing the Kevin Smith story. Over the years, I've formed the opinion that Prince is in many ways a modern musical genius, but he is also completely out of his fucking mind. I'd love to know what his instructions are in his last will and testament regarding "The Vault".

Supermallet 01-29-14 07:12 PM

Prince has dropped the lawsuits.