Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't believe this is the same guy who made College Dropout and Late Registration

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

I can't believe this is the same guy who made College Dropout and Late Registration

Old 11-27-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 186 Likes on 130 Posts

he sounds like a mental patient

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83697108/
Old 11-28-13, 01:18 PM

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Re: I can't believe this is the same guy who made College Dropout and Late Registrati

Old 11-28-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: I can't believe this is the same guy who made College Dropout and Late Registrati

That interviewer is fantastic! That other entity I can't stand.
Old 11-29-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He tries so hard to sound smart and articulate but ends up just sounding like an idiot. What a tool.
Old 12-01-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Kanye is insane, but the interview annoyed me a couple of times too with his own hypocrisy. He calls himself Charlamagne the God, but refers to Kanye as egotistical?

He also at one point drops the n-bomb casually, and then later says you can't turn the confederate flag positive just like you can't turn the n-word positive? Huh?
Old 12-01-13, 11:44 PM
Banned

Yet he still makes great music and has people like the OP making threads about him not matter how looney or a tool you all think he is.
Old 12-02-13, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Kanye is insane, but the interview annoyed me a couple of times too with his own hypocrisy. He calls himself Charlamagne the God, but refers to Kanye as egotistical
Yeah, but they both made good points. Charlamagne wasn't kissing his ass like many interviewers do musicians. Kanye sported a Confederate Flag because its controversial. It's not completely unlike how some pink rockers wore swatzikas. People like associating themselves with negative symbols.

But I see Kanye's points about rappers and/or minorities being marginalized and restricted from expanding into larger areas of consumer culture.

That said, he sounds ridiculous saying he and Kim aren't there yet financially, to keep their kid safe or secure. I totally agree with him when he says that it would be mutually beneficial for clothing companies to allow him more creative control or to take him more seriously. He's an artist and wants to have as big as an audience as possible and has proven successful in all his ventures. But claiming its all for his children sounds like an excuse I hear obscenely rich families say for themselves when excusing greed. He's aware of people being slaves to consumerism yet he not not only promotes material wealth, he wants to part of the problem that says expensive cars and clothing determines your value as a human being. But hey, if he's the one at the top, pushing that, that's progress right?

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
Yet he still makes great music and has people like the OP making threads about him not matter how looney or a tool you all think he is.
Yeah, Kanye's not stupid. He wears confederate flags to keep his name in the news, which further serves as free advertising for his latest album. Kinda like Miley doing a weird VMA performance and getting naked in videos to remind people she has an album.
I liked Yeezus. Charlamagnes crazy to say it was wack.
Old 12-02-13, 07:48 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Charlamagne said. Look up "narcissist" and "hypocrite" in the dictionary and you'll find pictures of Kanye, you won't find his picture next to "genius".
Old 12-02-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Best part is when he says the George Bush moment and the Beyonce/Taylor Swift moment were going to be written about in history books.

Guy thinks entertainment gossip is history.
Old 12-02-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with everything Charlamagne said. Look up "narcissist" and "hypocrite" in the dictionary and you'll find pictures of Kanye, you won't find his picture next to "genius".
What rapper isn't a narcissist?
Old 12-04-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
What performer isn't?
Old 12-05-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like Kanye's music. But he sounds like he's going to cry because Nike told him that his shoes weren't quite ready to come out. He does get his a-- handed to him during this and it's refreshing to hear someone not kiss a celeb's butt in one of these interviews.
Old 12-05-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another recent one where he went nuts on Sway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMSA5WlN8s#t=49
Old 12-05-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's pretty clear that he wants desperately not to fade out. And for most artists to do that they need to branch out into other areas in order to stay "relevant." And his only chance to get into another successful career is while his rap career is still hot.
Old 12-09-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 186 Likes on 130 Posts

Kanye is the gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_z1mgl41f/
Old 12-10-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 322 Likes on 276 Posts

I wonder how much of it is an act and how much of it is Kanye truly being an egomaniac that just so happens to be one of the most talented producers on the planet. I can't stand his personal antics but his latest album is the synthesis of several different styles of music from the past decade. He's this generation's Dr. Dre.
Old 12-13-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What in the holy blue hell is he blabbering about? Wow.
Old 12-13-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Best part is when he says the George Bush moment and the Beyonce/Taylor Swift moment were going to be written about in history books.

Guy thinks entertainment gossip is history.
Didn't W write a memoir about his presidency and list the Kanye moment as 'the worst moment in his term'
Old 12-15-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't know he put Chief Keef on his album. Kanye is talking about how the combined fortunes of himself and the Kardashians is not enough to keep his daughter safe and yet he sees no problem with having a piece of shit on his album who promotes gang violence in Chicago, raps about selling drugs, and brags about his music making the murder rate go up.
Old 12-15-13, 05:57 PM

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Old 12-15-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Kanye West declares that vanilla is now the number one favorite flavor of ice cream because he was photographed licking some.
Old 12-15-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's be honest too, his relationship with KK is bound to put him at the center of any and all publicity, she's a tabloid queen.

"Accusing a rapper of being arrogant is like accusing a politican of seeking power. Chuck D isn't the first asshole to front a great band. He's in a grand rock and roll tradition."
Robert Christgau
Old 12-27-13, 10:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PqONFv6PRig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-27-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kanye's really interesting. It goes without saying that he's a great producer and has a terrific ear, but he's absolutely terrible as an MC. I've said it before but don't get why so many critics give him a pass on his ridiculously sophomoric, misogynistic and phoned-in lyrics. In general, too often people give rap artists passes for idiotic, despicable crap and Kanye is exhibit A. I'm not easily offended, but when people are putting out dumb-ass shit like "The New Workout Plan" and critics are calling him a "genius" I think we have a problem. "Yeezus" made my head hurt it's so stupid, self-justifying and clueless. It's a shame because that album is unbelievably well produced.
Old 12-27-13, 12:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Google Play is currently offering Yeezus for free (as well as Chvrches' album). Just FYI.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.