Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The 'Ghost B.C.' Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The 'Ghost B.C.' Thread

Old 11-02-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,565 Posts
Re: The 'Ghost B.C.' Thread

Oh yeah, those are great, I've watched them a bunch of times. Here's a good acoustic version of Ghuleh/Zombie Queen, where Papa unleashes the "Kazoo of Destiny"

Old 11-03-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, for those who have seen one of the shows on this tour, who is the opening act and how were they?
Old 11-03-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 785 Likes on 378 Posts

I believe there have been at least 4 different opening acts on this tour. The first week or so of dates they were with Zombi. Then for a week or two, they were with Carpenter Brut.

Most of the rest of the tour, they have been with Marissa Nadler, but for the 2 dates in LA, I think that they were with Deafhaven.

I saw them with Carpenter Brut, which is a European techno group. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I've never been to a techno show before, but they had a live guitar player and a drummer in addition to the guy on the tables, and it was a really good set.
Old 11-03-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, thanks, with a little googling (I guess I should have just done that in the first place!) it looks like Marissa Nadler will be the opening act at the show I'm going to. Interesting choice, a "gothic folk musician", I'm going to try familiarizing myself with some of her work before the show. I wasn't that fond of their opener when I saw Ghost last April (I forget who it was).
Old 11-10-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday was a bit surreal for me, waking up to the surprising election results and ending the day with a Ghost concert (Papa made some unkind comments about Trump, he's obviously not a fan ). They put on a great show as usual. It was my first time at this venue (Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Toronto) but it was a great, intimate setting, I had scored nice front balcony seats that were a lot closer to the stage than I was expecting.

Opener Marissa Nadler was cool too, she has a great voice and nice songs, even threw in Danzig and Sabbath covers at the end of her set. The weird thing was that there was no lighting on her, the stage was dark except for some atmospheric low color lighting, but it looked pretty cool.

Ghost sold out the theatre so fast they added a second show for tonight. I met some folks that were going to be at both shows, I wish I could have!
Old 11-20-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

Since the official Meliora tour (2nd leg of the tour) ended on 11/12 - the ministry is already touting the arrival of Papa Emeritus IV.

Old 01-19-17, 11:34 AM

Ghost will be opening for Iron Maiden on the their US tour dates this summer. No Detroit stop.
Old 01-19-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Gives me an extra hour in the bar before Maiden come on.
Old 01-31-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,144 Likes on 698 Posts

This just "popped" up at the Ghost Store. It is limited edition so I figured everyone one will want to pick one up as soon as possible. They are becoming the new KISS as far as marketing goes.

NSFW
Spoiler:

Phallos Mortuus Dildo Bag Set
$ 100.00

http://shop.ghost-official.com/produ...eid=09f43889ae

There are also Ghost condoms as well.
Old 01-31-17, 10:39 AM

I haven't been to the store, but I saw that in a facebook post from the band today with the heading "Valentine's Day Gift Guide" . I sort of did a double take for a second when I saw it among the other items there, and was like, "Is that what I think it is?"
Old 01-31-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Wonder if they'll be selling the dildos at the merch stand at the Maiden shows.
Old 02-02-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it will give Maiden the idea to sell Eddie dildos.
Old 04-07-17, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So some of the "Former Ghouls" are suing Papa.

Former GHOST Members Accuse Singer Of Trying To 'Shamelessly' Turn 'Band' Into 'Solo Project'

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/for...fWP23hceQdD.99

**This story has been updated to include a lengthy statement that BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received from the four "Nameless Ghouls" who have filed the lawsuit against GHOST frontman Tobias Forge.**

Former members of GHOST have spoken out publicly on the lawsuit they have filed against the band's frontman and founder Tobias Forge, who performs as Papa Emeritus. The quartet of former Nameless Ghouls have accused Forge of cheating them out of their rightful share of the profits from the group's album releases and world tours.

In a statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, the four musicians said: "As of yesterday, we, four signatories from the band GHOST, have filed a lawsuit with the Linköping District Court. We are suing Tobias Forge ('Papa Emeritus') – the band's lead singer who has also been responsible for the finances of the band since its founding.

"As of the filing of this lawsuit we are requesting that the court, under penalty, oblige Tobias Forge to declare the incomes as well as expenses of the band concerning the years between 2011 and 2016.

"Throughout all the years we have been on tour with GHOST (between 2011- 2016 some of us have performed something like 500 shows with the band) and throughout the band's album recordings, we have neither been allowed to share in the profits of the band, nor have we seen any of the incomes accounted for. The only thing we have received have been minimal advance payments to allow the band to keep going. This despite the fact that we had an agreement that any profits should be shared fairly between the members of the band.

"When we have attempted to raise the issue of the band's finances with Tobias Forge his sole response has been that there are so far no profits to be share, but that everyone will be generously compensated once the band turns a profit.

"The reason that this lawsuit is now being filed is a contract dispute that has escalated during the previous year (2016). Over the last year we have received multiple proposed contracts from Tobias Forge in which he seeks to redefine his role in the band.

"Since the conception of GHOST, our common understanding and agreement has been that we are a band on equal terms, but that Tobias will act as band leader and manage the band's finances through his own companies.

"Through contracts received from Tobias and his lawyers during 2016, Tobias has attempted to make us sign an agreement that implies we are merely consultants working for his company, an agreement also stating that we would receive less that a minimal wage for our contributions to the band. According to this proposal, furthermore we would renounce any and all rights to music royalties. All above despite the fact that some of us have been members of the band since its foundation, investing all of our time in the band during the past five years, with as much right to the recordings and trademark of the band GHOST as that of Tobias Forge.

"Our vocalist and former friend is now attempting to, in an underhanded and shameless way, transform GHOST from a band into a solo project with hired musicians. Naturally, this is not something we can accept.

"When, in connection with the 2016 United States tour, approached a lawyer in order to sort out the situation of the contracts, we were informed that Tobias Forge no longer wanted us to participate in upcoming tours. Thus, Tobias Forge is now going ahead with the tour, which started March 24 2017 and is set to end in the U.K. on August 12, on his own together with rented musicians who have replaced all other band members. Tobias Forge has chosen this path of action without any permission from us to carry out the tour on his own. This under the name GHOST, which we regard as our commonly owned trademark.

"The actions of Tobias Forge amount to nothing less than unabashed dishonesty, greed, and darkness. Not the darkness of which GHOST sings, but a darkness that pushes a person to betray his best friends when fame and fortune appear within reach.

"We are terribly sorry that this afflicts the fans of the band as well, and that they too should suffer because of this betrayal and greed.

"We who are suing Tobias Forge are:

Simon Söderberg (Alpha) - member of GHOST since 2010
Mauro Rubino (Air) - member of GHOST since 2011
Henrik Palm (Eather) - member of GHOST since 2015
Martin Hjertstedt (Earth) - member of GHOST since 2014

"The Nameless Ghouls"

Swedish guitarist Martin Persner, who revealed recently that he had played in GHOST and quit in July of last year, is not one of the musicians who filed the lawsuit.

Asked for his reaction to the lawsuit by Swedish outlet Corren, Forge said, "I can't comment on it because it is a legal process. The lawsuit will be answered fairly soon by my legal counsel."

Since the musicians wear masks and are only identified as Nameless Ghouls, personnel changes in the group over its seven-year existence have gone unannounced.

Forge does most of the group's interviews disguised as a Nameless Ghoul.

The new lineup of GHOST is rumored to include musicians who have previously played with THE SISTERS OF MERCY, KORN, PENDRAGON and BLOODBATH.

Old 04-07-17, 09:47 PM

Yeah, that sucks, but if you really think about it, when you design a band such that really only the frontman is irreplaceable (or even identifiable) what do you expect to happen?
Old 04-07-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I was under the impression that Ghost was Papa Emeritus and a group of session musicians.

So, pretty much a solo act and not a full band.
Old 04-07-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True that. Now, if they didn't have it in writing, in theory, Papa is fucked. Hopefully he consulted Gene Simmons on the business end of Ghost.
Old 04-07-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
True that. Now, if they didn't have it in writing, in theory, Papa is fucked. Hopefully he consulted Gene Simmons on the business end of Ghost.
Naw. If he had talked to Gene, he would of ended up owning Ghost and then you would see Ghost B.C. caskets selling at a Costco near you.
Old 04-07-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea.... pretty shitty. Its dampened my love of Ghost.... for now lol It probably depend on the next album
Old 04-08-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was under the impression that Ghost was Papa Emeritus and a group of session musicians.

So, pretty much a solo act and not a full band.
Though I read Papa didn't write any of the music (that a couple of the Nameless Ghouls write everything). If Papa depends on the Ghouls for songs he can't be treating them all like shit, can he? Maybe it's the non-writing Ghouls who are effectively sessions players.

I'm shocked band identities was able to be kept a secret for as long as it was.
Old 04-08-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. That sucks. And it totally sucks that the rest of the members had to out themselves.

Last edited by starseed1981; 04-08-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been reading up on the suit. The other members have a lot more writing credits on the 2nd and 3rd album than most people think. Tobias seems kinda screwed here.

Also, I always thought Alpha was so well spoken in interviews on YouTube and with the press in general. And very kind in giving interviews to Little Punk People and Kids Interview bands. Turns out that it was always Tobias in a Ghoul costume giving all the interviews. Very interesting stuff.
Old 04-12-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I've been reading up on the suit. The other members have a lot more writing credits on the 2nd and 3rd album than most people think. Tobias seems kinda screwed here.

Also, I always thought Alpha was so well spoken in interviews on YouTube and with the press in general. And very kind in giving interviews to Little Punk People and Kids Interview bands. Turns out that it was always Tobias in a Ghoul costume giving all the interviews. Very interesting stuff.
I really hope they can keep the vibe going on the next record with all the changes.

I absolutely love Meliora and I am concerned that the musicians involved with writing the material will no longer be involved.
Old 04-12-17, 11:01 AM

I already knew about Tobias/Papa doing all the interviews.
Old 04-13-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

I absolutely love Meliora and I am concerned that the musicians involved with writing the material will no longer be involved.
Yeah, this is something I worry about too.

I also had no idea that interviews with a Nameless Ghoul were actually Papa in a Ghoul outfit.
Old 04-13-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I already knew about Tobias/Papa doing all the interviews.

Me too. Once folks started to pick up that it was him whenever he'd do an interview they would modulate the voice. I remember the Amoeba Records "what's in my bag" segment and wondered why the nameless ghoul's voice had been tweaked and then I was like -- oh shit, that's Papa.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.