DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Radio personality Casey Kasem reportedly gravely ill, missing & found, Dead: 6-15-14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/614610-radio-personality-casey-kasem-reportedly-gravely-ill-missing-found-dead-6-15-14-a.html)

DJariya 10-21-13 07:22 PM

Radio personality Casey Kasem reportedly gravely ill, missing & found, Dead: 6-15-14

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...0/post_87.html

DETROIT, MI - Popular radio personality and voice actor Casey Kasem, a Detroit native, reportedly suffers from advanced Parkinson's Disease reportedly has only a few months to live, according to a representative for his wife.

News of Kasem's failing health surfaced Saturday on the celebrity news website TMZ and came about a week after the New York Daily News reported that three of his children went to court to seek conservatorship over the ailing radio icon.

The children are reportedly in a bitter feud with their stepmom Jean Kasem over his medical care.

An excerpt from the New York Daily News story that surfaced earlier this month:

"We've heard nothing, absolutely nothing from her, and we're very worried," said Kerri, 41.

"My worst fear is that there's neglect and isolation going on," she said, claiming that Jean fired her dad's two favorite caretakers and won't allow his friends to visit, either.

Casey Kasem, 81, was the host of the Top 40 countdown radio show "American Top 40" and the voice of Shaggy in the Saturday morning cartoon franchise "Scooby-Doo." He was born in Detroit and is the son of Lebanese immigrants.

Kasem is a graduate of Detroit's Northwestern High School and Wayne State University. He worked as a DJ for FM 98 WJLB and lived in at least two buildings in what's now known as Detroit's Midtown area.

A book called "Home in Detroit: Where They Lived ... in the Motor City" says Kasem lived in an apartment at 454 Alexandrine, located west of Woodward Avenue, and 3230 Taylor on the city's west side.

The book also mentioned the Kasem lived at 646 Alexandrine, a building that is no longer standing.

Figured this was the best place to put this. Sad news.

Hokeyboy 10-21-13 07:36 PM

Re: Radio personality Casey Kasem reportedly gravely ill, close to death

Casey Kasem... the sound of every Sunday morning on local Top-40 radio. Robin on Superfriends. And Shaggy!! Man... :(

Sad to hear Lo-retta is shutting his kids out. Someone call Dan Hedaya.

Giles 10-21-13 09:26 PM

honestly I didn't realize he was still alive (barely).

sad news about his health and the inner squabbles in regards to his family.

PerryD 10-21-13 09:54 PM

http://www.futuredude.com/wp-content...-eagle-ken.jpg

Alan Smithee 10-22-13 12:36 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/seCkv_aqSF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

inri222 10-22-13 09:05 AM

I used too like him until I found out he was an Arab. No child of mine will ever watch Scooby-Doo.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/uploa...11/sarcasm.gif

JasonF 10-22-13 09:17 AM

I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a fucking up-tempo record every time we do a goddamn deathwatch post!

movieking 10-22-13 12:23 PM

I listened to his countdowns every weekend when I was growing up, and still listen to them on Sirius on the 70s channel every now and then. I'm a child of the 80s, so I really miss hearing his countdowns on 80s on 8.

SCREW YOU 80s on 8 FOR USING YOUR MORONIC MTV VEEJAYS TO DO THE COUNTDOWNS INSTEAD OF AIRING CASEY'S ORIGINAL VERSIONS.

wm lopez 10-22-13 01:24 PM

What year did he stop doing his countdown?
Had to be in the 90s' cause that's when pop music began to suck.

dolphinboy 10-22-13 02:39 PM

I remember being at camp in northern Michigan and listening to the countdowns on the weekend. I can still remember Casey talking about how Rosanna (by Toto) was stuck at #2 for another week and being disappointed. I just looked it up and that was where the song peaked...never making it to #1.

No one did it better than Casey.

coreylane 10-22-13 06:16 PM

I grew up listening to him

GuessWho 10-22-13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11880193)
I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a fucking up-tempo record every time we do a goddamn deathwatch post!

What happened to the pictures I was supposed to see this week?

Lastdaysofrain 10-23-13 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 11880444)
What year did he stop doing his countdown?
Had to be in the 90s' cause that's when pop music began to suck.

Shadoe Stevens took over American Top 40 in 1988 I believe. He hosted it until 1994 or maybe 1995 when they stopped doing it for a while (I think they brought it back recently with Ryan Seacrest?) Casey had a rival countdown show after that called "Casey's Top 40" that lasted until about 1993 or so.

Lastdaysofrain 10-23-13 07:17 AM

Also, I have a tumblr that is just transcriptions of real American Top 40 Long Distance Dedications, if that is of interest to anyone
http://retroldds.tumblr.com/

Matt 10-23-13 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11880910)

Boy, this is fucking ponderous, man, ponderous! Fuckin' ponderous!

:rip: Snuggles

EddieMoney 10-23-13 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 11881080)
Also, I have a tumblr that is just transcriptions of real American Top 40 Long Distance Dedications, if that is of interest to anyone
http://retroldds.tumblr.com/

That is awesome!

Michael Corvin 10-23-13 10:57 AM

Wow, that is pretty cool.

JasonF 10-23-13 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11880910)

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 11881158)
Boy, this is fucking ponderous, man, ponderous! Fuckin' ponderous!

:rip: Snuggles

:lol: Man, that tape is one of the all-time great rave-outs.

For anybody who isn't familiar:

Alan Smithee 10-23-13 03:48 PM

Always wondered what song was dedicated to the fucking dog dying.

I have a few complete shows on records (stations got them that way and played them on the air), ones before 1982 don't include commercials on the records though which was a bit disappointing. Found one show from 1971, which also had a guest host as Casey was out doing a movie.

Matt 10-23-13 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 11881759)
Always wondered what song was dedicated to the fucking dog dying.

It was probably either Barry Manilow's "This One's For You" or "Theme from Mahogany" by Diana Ross.

http://i.imgur.com/cKHRpGZ.png

Because of the Negativland track, I had always assumed it was U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," but I guess that's not the case. Besides, those guys are from England and who gives a shit?

JeffTheAlpaca 10-23-13 04:21 PM

I remember he had a top 20 countdown show on TV in the 80's that would air on Saturday mornings.

mickey65 10-24-13 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 11881788)
Because of the Negativland track, I had always assumed it was U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," but I guess that's not the case. Besides, those guys are from England and who gives a shit?

U2 is from Ireland.

Lastdaysofrain 10-24-13 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 11881807)
I remember he had a top 20 countdown show on TV in the 80's that would air on Saturday mornings.

I believe it was called "America's Top 10" and I think it stopped airing around 84 or 85 once MTV and Friday Night Videos really kind of took over that stuff.

I have about 300 episodes of American Top 40 I collected from original LPs and radio station CDs. They are fun to revisit (that's also how I got all the Long Distance Dedications to transcribe)

DRG 10-24-13 09:09 AM

I have a few of those top 40 records as well, I think they were from 1983-1985 (since that's the era I listened to the show religiously). Picked them up at a flea market about 18 years ago. Totally forgot about them until now.

Pointyskull 10-24-13 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11880193)

Classic...