DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Question about Pandora's song lists (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/614324-question-about-pandoras-song-lists.html)

pbrstreetgang 10-08-13 10:03 AM

Question about Pandora's song lists

I have noticed that if I listen to a 'station' for a while it seems to eventually begin to unravel and go off genre, which I can understand.
For instance if I start Arcade Fire Radio and listen to it long enough Pandora will sneak in a Smoky Robison or The Beatles.
So my real question is that when I leave that station then go back to it later (even days later) sometimes it picks up where I left off with songs mostly off genre, and sometimes it apparently starts over back to what I would consider consistent with my seed selection. How does it decide? Is it a time thing? Like after not playing Arcade Fire Radio for a week it will start more or less from the beginning? Or is there a way to make it go back to the beginning?

Edit to add: I'll mention that I generally listen to Pandora with an iPhone, not sure if that makes a difference.

boc4ever 10-09-13 11:33 PM

Re: Question about Pandora's song lists

I don't know if this is helpful, but I noticed that if you like a lot of songs, it tends to shift much more quickly. Also if you retire them. I don't know about resetting it, but try deleting the station and clearing cookies and readding it. Good luck!

mndtrp 10-10-13 01:35 PM

I'm losing interest in Pandora. I'll pick an artist, and then over the course of 4 hours, never hear that artist once. It will play the same damn artist over and over, not the one I chose to start out with, up to the point where I'll have to start unliking songs to hear something different.

I have no answer the OP, though, just wanted to complain.

Rocketdog2000 10-11-13 12:23 AM

^I've never really cared much for Pandora, either. Too many times I've tried to create stations, and barely hear the artist I created it for, or keep hearing the same songs over and over again. I've had much better luck with Songza.

pjflyer 10-11-13 01:18 PM

I would think Arcade Fire fans or the band itself wouldn't have a problem being considered in the same genre as the Beatles or Smokey Robinson.

pbrstreetgang 10-12-13 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 11868026)
^I've never really cared much for Pandora, either. Too many times I've tried to create stations, and barely hear the artist I created it for, or keep hearing the same songs over and over again. I've had much better luck with Songza.

The problem I have had with Songza is that I tend to hear way more songs by bands that I never heard of, which is fine in general, I enjoy hearing new music. But jeez how about every once in a while throwing in a familiar song?!
I get the feeling that Songza can't pay as much for songs as Pandora and therefore you are less likely to hear a hit, or at least a fairly familiar song.

pbrstreetgang 10-12-13 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pjflyer (Post 11868520)
I would think Arcade Fire fans or the band itself wouldn't have a problem being considered in the same genre as the Beatles or Smokey Robinson.

I can't speak for the band but I don't start a station with Arcade Fire to hear classic rock, Motown or R&B. If I wanted to hear a song I have heard 10,000 times already I'll start a channel with something along those lines to begin with.
I'm more interested in newer indie stuff which is why I hope starting a station with a band like Arcade Fire will be a reasonable jump off.