Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Music Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Sheep Loves You, Yeah Yeah Yeah! (Beatles Sheep)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-02-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 310 Likes on 260 Posts

Intro for first time players

Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

Player A gets zero points, unless unique bonuses are in play (refer to the Game-Specific Rules). The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong. If "Texas" is ruled incorrect, player C gets +4 points (two above the most common correct answer).

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules

Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a confusing sci-fi TV series." A good answer might be Lost and a bad answer might be Land of the Giants.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a show starring Nathan Filion." Castle might be a bad answer, but Drive might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, TV.com, previous Sheep games, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules

Spoiler:

• Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:

1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each

• Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:

• In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Since a few of these questions have a limited number of answers, {sd}s are limited to ONE on any given question.

• In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

• All questions relate to the musical group the Beatles, aka the Fab Four, and its four members (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr) unless otherwise specified. Note: I am not the world's biggest Beatles trivia expert and thus may be an unlikely Sheepmaster for this game. The intent here is not to stump but to get people thinking and talking about the Beatles and their music. I've tried to focus the questions more on the music than the personal aspects and the history.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. If you are playing a slamdunk on a question, add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Incorrectly formatted answers will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

However, slamdunk errors will be granted one "Help!" and may be corrected via PM once with no penalty. However, revisions simply because you "thought of a better answer" will not be allowed. I may PM you for answer clarification; no response often brings about the least-desirable result.

I will take somewhere in the vicinity of 20 participants (though will make special dispensations for anyone who has run a Sheep game in the past), and plan on starting some time during the month of September. Note that September 9, 2009, marked the release of Beatles Rock Band and a host of CD reissues so 9/9 is a potential target date.

The Questions

1. S: What is the Beatles' best song?
    2. S: What is the Beatles' best album?
    3. S: What is the most maddeningly overplayed Beatles song?
    4. S: What is the most criminally underplayed Beatles song?
    5. R: Name a song on the U.K. version of Rubber Soul that does not appear on the U.S. version.
    6. S: Cover me, part 1: What is the best Beatles performance of a song written by someone else?
    7. S: Cover me, part 2: What is the best performance of a Beatles song by someone who was not a member of the Beatles?
    8. S: What is George's best lead vocal?
    9. S: What is Ringo's best lead vocal?
    10. S: Which Beatles song has the best guitar solo played by a Beatle?
    11. S: Which Beatles song made the best use of an instrument not traditionally found in a rock band?
    12. R: Name someone who married one of the four Beatles.
    13. S: Other than George Martin, name the individual who was not a member of the Fab Four but had the most influence on them.
    14. S: Best Beatles album art?
    15. R: Name a song that appears on the album Abbey Road.
    16. S: Name the best album made by a Beatles member after the band broke up.
    17. R: 1 is an album released in 2000 that compiles nearly every #1 hit released by the Beatles in the U.K. and the U.S. Name a song included on 1 that lasts less than 2 and a half minutes.
    18. R: Name a song included on 1 that lasts longer than 3 minutes.
    19. S: The song that best epitomizes the Beatles' early years is....
    20. S: The song that best epitomizes the Beatles' late years is....
    21. R: Name a member of the Fab Four.

Last edited by davidh777; 09-02-13 at 01:39 PM.
    Old 09-02-13, 01:28 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
    Re: Music Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Sheep Loves You, Yeah Yeah Yeah! (Beatles Sheep)

Looks really good. I'll get some answers in after I mull the questions over in my head a little more.

I like how most of the questions allow casual fans to come up with answers. For me, I can see this game being a struggle between my honest answer and a sheep answer. For some of them, I may just punt the game and answer honestly. Especially for #4 ... a truly criminally underplayed song should not get many matches.

I like not having many reverses. Though some of the ones that are there will pose problems for me. For #5, the situation of "U.S. versions" of albums hasn't been an issue since the CD era began. Without cheating, I'll have to guess a song that looks like it could be placed elsewhere in their catalog ... and I'll probably guess wrong. And owning all their original albums (plus the "Past Masters", which gathers together all the remaining odds and ends), I paid no attention to compilations like "1". So it'll be a guess at a short and long popular Beatles song. Though I'll likely blow that one too, since my Billboard chart trivia knowledge of the 60's is spotty. And I know that songs that did the best on the charts at the time of release aren't always the ones that are considered the greatest as years passed.
    Old 09-02-13, 01:54 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Re: Music Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Sheep Loves You, Yeah Yeah Yeah! (Beatles Sheep)

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
    Looks really good. I'll get some answers in after I mull the questions over in my head a little more.

I like how most of the questions allow casual fans to come up with answers. For me, I can see this game being a struggle between my honest answer and a sheep answer. For some of them, I may just punt the game and answer honestly. Especially for #4 ... a truly criminally underplayed song should not get many matches.
    As I said, I'm not the most hardcore Beatles fan on this board, and didn't really want to do things like "In which song was the Fender Stratocaster tuned to blah blah" or "Which song was credited to X but really written/sung by Y?" For one thing, I myself would suck at that kind of question, and for another, it's not really that interesting to me. I'd much rather discuss what people like about the Beatles.

I like not having many reverses.
    Yeah, I think I may have overused reverses in some earlier games, which makes me disinclined to use them now since they tend to reward luck rather than skill. However, I couldn't resist #21 just because everyone should know every correct answer, so it's a question of strategy combined with luck.

For #5, the situation of "U.S. versions" of albums hasn't been an issue since the CD era began. Without cheating, I'll have to guess a song that looks like it could be placed elsewhere in their catalog ... and I'll probably guess wrong.
    This is probably the toughest technical question, but I wanted to include it because I love Rubber Soul so much. I got completely hooked on the U.S. release and now have to listen to the U.K. version.... hmm, unless I make myself a custom playlist.

And owning all their original albums (plus the "Past Masters", which gathers together all the remaining odds and ends), I paid no attention to compilations like "1". So it'll be a guess at a short and long popular Beatles song. Though I'll likely blow that one too, since my Billboard chart trivia knowledge of the 60's is spotty. And I know that songs that did the best on the charts at the time of release aren't always the ones that are considered the greatest as years passed.
    I find the history of the various compilations interesting, and the first LP I bought was some collection of 20 #1 hits, but in college I had become too much of a snob to buy the "red" and "blue" albums that everyone was listening to. I had drafted a question comparing the "red album" with Past Masters 1 but research showed it wasn't really that great a question. As you suspect, I used "1" because I was looking for a way to classify the #1 hits without getting too far into which country's charts to use, A- and B-sides, etc., and this album was an objective way to do that.

Since I don't always use my phone in my car, and have mixed results with burning my own CDs, I like having "1," especially for family listening.
    Old 09-02-13, 03:18 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Questionable answers have been sent. I have to say, this is maybe the most difficult sheep game (in which I could actually answer most of the questions) I've played yet. I'm not sure about my own opinions on many of them, let alone what could be considered sheepy.
    Old 09-02-13, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers sent.
    Old 09-02-13, 09:15 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 244 Posts

I answered 1 and 3 trying to guess the sheep. I answered 2 with my heart.
    Old 09-02-13, 09:53 PM
    DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Objection : There is no correct answer for Question 9.

But sure, I'm in. Give me a day or so to hammer out the answers.
    Old 09-02-13, 10:21 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
    Yeah, I think I may have overused reverses in some earlier games, which makes me disinclined to use them now since they tend to reward luck rather than skill. However, I couldn't resist #21 just because everyone should know every correct answer, so it's a question of strategy combined with luck.
    Yeah, a limited number of those crapshoot questions are ok. Especially when one answer will be unique (or unchosen) or the majority pick the same answer. Good times for all

I find the history of the various compilations interesting, and the first LP I bought was some collection of 20 #1 hits, but in college I had become too much of a snob to buy the "red" and "blue" albums that everyone was listening to. I had drafted a question comparing the "red album" with Past Masters 1 but research showed it wasn't really that great a question. As you suspect, I used "1" because I was looking for a way to classify the #1 hits without getting too far into which country's charts to use, A- and B-sides, etc., and this album was an objective way to do that.
    The red and blue compilations (on cassette) were my introduction to the band. I was just a kid, so hopefully music snobs will forgive me. I had heard them on the radio and asked for some Beatles music as a Christmas music. The following Christmas I asked for the rest of their cassettes!

Since I don't always use my phone in my car, and have mixed results with burning my own CDs, I like having "1," especially for family listening.
    After hearing their complete albums, compilations just didn't do it anymore (not counting the Past Masters and miscellaneous rarities releases like "Live at the BBC"). Their discography is surprisingly small for their gigantic influence (they only recorded for about 7 years). And there's very little filler.

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
    I answered 1 and 3 trying to guess the sheep. I answered 2 with my heart.
    And I answered 1 with my heart and 2 guessing for the sheep. I don't think we'll match

Last edited by brainee; 09-02-13 at 10:35 PM.
    Old 09-02-13, 10:35 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Submitted. Despite my long-time love and great knowledge of the Beatles I don't feel very confident. I think I'll have to fall back on the old "I'm right and the Sheep are wrong" excuse
    Old 09-03-13, 12:24 AM

Answers submitted.

David : I had to resubmit my questions to you. As you didn't mention the numbering penalty in the Game-Specific Rules, or highlight them in any way, I missed that information until after I sent the answers in. I corrected that mistake once I saw it later in your post. I think that should suffice in this case (but I encourage you to put important game-specific rules in the rules section).
    Old 09-03-13, 09:24 AM
    DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Answers submitted.

Great topic and really good questions. I'm looking forward to the answers from people since most have pretty strong feelings in regards to the Beatles.

Thanks for putting this together, davidh777.
    Old 09-03-13, 11:21 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
    Answers submitted.

David : I had to resubmit my questions to you. As you didn't mention the numbering penalty in the Game-Specific Rules, or highlight them in any way, I missed that information until after I sent the answers in. I corrected that mistake once I saw it later in your post. I think that should suffice in this case (but I encourage you to put important game-specific rules in the rules section).
    I won't penalize the resubmission, but I'm a little confused why the numbering rule is such a surprise. That's where I've put the rule in all my games this year (and I know you played college bball sheep), and most of the recent games did that too. And in my experience, Sheep games have never allowed numbers in the answer submissions--that doesn't seem specific to this game.
    Old 09-03-13, 01:55 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won't penalize the resubmission, but I'm a little confused why the numbering rule is such a surprise. That's where I've put the rule in all my games this year (and I know you played college bball sheep), and most of the recent games did that too. And in my experience, Sheep games have never allowed numbers in the answer submissions--that doesn't seem specific to this game.
    You just cut and pasted the same rules in the same places as every other sheep game for the last year. If someone didn't understand, it's not your fault.

The formatting rules (no numbering and one answer per line) may seem trivial but it can be a big deal to the sheepmaster. When someone numbers the answers, the SM has to manually cut them out so the answers sort properly for scoring. That's a pain.
    Old 09-03-13, 02:12 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll have answers in shortly. This is tough, as I don't really know what songs were on what albums. I'll volunteer to score near the bottom, make the other's scores look better.
    Old 09-03-13, 02:54 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can see I already messed up on a couple of my answers.

Regarding not having numbers in the answers, I would recommend using a text editor that displays a number for each line, such as Notepad++.
    Old 09-03-13, 03:32 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent my answers. I have actually listened to quite a lot of the Beatles in the last year or so. I expect to do really poorly.
    Old 09-03-13, 03:33 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the many years and dozens of sheep games, numbering your answers has always been a no-no.
    Old 09-03-13, 03:38 PM

Well, I remembered it in some previous games, but I just didn't see it in the rules in the original posting. I did note other rules have changed, and thought maybe this one had a s well(I always like having the numbers there at least initially to make sure I answered everything (sorta) correctly. I was scanning the post and trying to see what format to put the answers and just didn't see it initially -- because I was checking the beginning of the post and the spoilerized bullet points. Thanks for allowing the resubmission (and after this discussion, I'm sure nobody else will be confused).

BTW : I've done college and NBA sheep with you. I think you're an awesome Sheepmaster and appreciate the effort. Thanks.
    Old 09-03-13, 04:17 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Answers sent !
    Old 09-03-13, 10:26 PM

Can't wait. This is my first sheep in quite a long time.
    Old 09-03-13, 11:27 PM
    Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Answers sent. This will be the first Sheep game I've played in a while. I am already preparing for a fight on at least one of my answers.
    Old 09-04-13, 12:00 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
    I am already preparing for a fight on at least one of my answers.
    I'm sorry ... "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" is not the Beatles best song.
    Old 09-04-13, 12:29 AM
    Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duh, it's obviously "Wild Honey Pie".
    Old 09-04-13, 11:01 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Answers sent - hopefully I got in - huge Beatles fan!
    Old 09-04-13, 11:25 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

16 players so far, so we still have some more room if people want to play. I myself am not planning to play, partly because I suck at Sheep but mostly because I've already started reading the answers. It's just fun to read them and think about the Beatles. It's also interesting in that, unlike movies, this is not a topic we talk a ton about on this board so the sheepy answers are a little harder to predict.

hasslein
    Drexl
    Cabman Gray
    Jason (check your PMs)
    AaronHernandez
    Count Dooku
    brainee
    Decker
    Palaver
    Robot Rock
    Crocker Jarmen
    orangecrush
    Damfino
    Supermallet (check your PMs)
    cdollaz
    Shannon Nutt

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.