Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the most overplayed rock song?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What is the most overplayed rock song?

Old 08-06-13, 05:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: What is the most overplayed rock song?

Blinded by the Light-Manfred Mann
THIS

Also, I think I've heard enough Red Hot Chilli Peppers that if I didn't hear a note of their music for 30 years I might then, and only then, be interested to hear one of their songs again. But I have had an ass full of their music. ENOUGH
Old 08-06-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 242 Likes on 173 Posts

Everything from High N' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria gets over played.

Highway To Hell (the song)

Why Can't This Be Love-Van Halen

All Of My Love - Zeppelin
Old 08-06-13, 07:00 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 363 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Well, sometimes they play "Godzilla."
I'd rather hear Veteran of the Psychic Wars or Joan Crawford from Extraterrestrial Live.
Old 08-06-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 633 Posts

Hell yes to Veteran of the Psychic Wars.
Old 08-06-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Everything from High N' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria gets over played.
Other than "Bringin' On The Heartbreak", not a single track from High N' Dry gets ANY airplay.

Which is a shame, because it's their best album.

EDIT: Sometimes they *might* play Switch 625, but only because it's an instrumental outro that comes out of Heartbreak. And that's a rarity anyhow. Panties
Old 08-06-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Also consider songs used during political "campaigns" (sic).

I thought I'd throw up if I heard "We Take Care of Our Own" one more time. Besides being the weakest track on the album, it was painful to hear Bruce repeatedly mispronounce "cavalry", especially in front of all of those school kids being used as props.

I think there should be a ban on all songs used as themes for political efforts to get elected (whether "Born in the USA" or "We Won't Get Fooled Again"). The groups spend billions of dollars; let them hire people or bands to create original songs. If artists want to go out and do benefits or make appearances with candidates, fine...just don't play the same canned music at every stop.

I'd make an exception for "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?", "Satisfaction", "Money", and "Help!"

But it's hilarious when politicos use Won't Get Fooled Again. "Meet the new boss...same as the old boss."
Old 08-06-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
If I never hear Tom Cochrane's “Life is a Highway” again, I will have listened to it enough times.
Cochrane's one of my favourite musicians, but I've never liked that song, especially after it was played to death. However, the album on which it originated, Mad, Mad World is superb, with a number of great songs like, first and foremost, "Sinking Like a Sunset", as well as "No Regrets", "All the King's Men", "The Secret Is to Know When to Stop", and "Washed Away".
Old 08-06-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Led Zeppelin: Stairway To Heaven

I'd say "anything by Pink Floyd", but I don't consider them a rock band. They're more like "easy listening".
Old 08-07-13, 02:05 AM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kenny G is easy listening. Pink Floyd are not.
Old 08-07-13, 03:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

The difficulty of definition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Led Zeppelin: Stairway To Heaven

I'd say "anything by Pink Floyd", but I don't consider them a rock band. They're more like "easy listening".
FWIW Britannica says:
Dictionary definitions of rock are problematic, not least because the term has different resonance in its British and American usages (the latter is broader in compass). There is basic agreement that rock “is a form of music with a strong beat,” but it is difficult to be much more explicit. The Collins Cobuild English Dictionary, based on a vast database of British usage, suggests that “rock is a kind of music with simple tunes and a very strong beat that is played and sung, usually loudly, by a small group of people with electric guitars and drums,” but there are so many exceptions to this description that it is practically useless.

Legislators seeking to define rock for regulatory purposes have not done much better. The Canadian government defined “rock and rock-oriented music” as “characterized by a strong beat, the use of blues forms and the presence of rock instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, electric organ or electric piano.” This assumes that rock can be marked off from other sorts of music formally, according to its sounds. In practice, though, the distinctions that matter for rock fans and musicians have been ideological. Rock was developed as a term to distinguish certain music-making and listening practices from those associated with pop; what was at issue was less a sound than an attitude. In 1990 British legislators defined pop music as “all kinds of music characterized by a strong rhythmic element and a reliance on electronic amplification for their performance.” This led to strong objections from the music industry that such a definition failed to appreciate the clear sociological difference between pop (“instant singles-based music aimed at teenagers”) and rock (“album-based music for adults”). In pursuit of definitional clarity, the lawmakers misunderstood what made rock music matter.
A conundrum, to be sure, although seriously seeking to place prog rock stalwarts Pink Floyd outside any reasonable definition of what constitutes "rock" to me would constitute a vain and pointless exercise.
Old 08-07-13, 09:00 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Why Can't This Be Love-Van Halen

What a wretched song. Almost as bad as "When It's Love" or "Feels So Good" or "Dreams."
Old 08-07-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any song that anybody else likes that I don't. I hate those songs. Even playing them once is too much.

And what about that "classical" music? I mean it's hundreds of years old. Ain't nobody got to listen to dat agin.
Old 08-07-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok. Never heard that before. Not to sure about that.
Old 08-07-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 409 Posts

I know you're baiting with this comment, but come on
Old 08-07-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So according to this thread:
Baha Men - rock
Pink Floyd - not rock
Old 08-07-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Other than "Bringin' On The Heartbreak", not a single track from High N' Dry gets ANY airplay.

Which is a shame, because it's their best album.
Old 08-07-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 303 Posts

Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun

Not only is it a shitty fucking tedious bore of a song, for some reason it got massive airplay when it came out (both on Mtv and radio), and still gets a ridiculous amount of plays on the radio still.

from hatesong:
for length
Spoiler:

Anthony Jeselnik: You know, I read The A.V. Club a lot, and as soon as I saw the HateSong thing, I immediately thought, “Oh my God, ‘Black Hole Sun’ by Soundgarden.” And then I got really bummed last night because I had to listen to it and watch the video again, and it’s… the worst song in the world.

The A.V. Club: Do you remember the first time you heard it?

AJ: I guarantee I was a kid… it came out in what, 1994?

AVC: Yeah, it was May 1994.

AJ: It was toward the end of MTV’s heyday, when people would just watch videos all the time, and they played the bejeezus out of “Black Hole Sun.” They tried to make it the hit of the summer, and I guess it was, but I just remember that video and it just being played constantly. The video is awful.

AVC: The video makes no sense at all.

AJ: No sense, and it’s like someone who worked on that video discovered that they could make people’s eyes and mouths bigger and thought they were James Cameron doing Terminator 2 and just threw it everywhere. It’s awful, just aggressively boring, annoying, and uncomfortable.

AVC: After the song became a huge hit, Chris Cornell said that he’d written it in about 15 minutes.

AJ: I totally believe that. I don’t believe that Soundgarden likes that song. Like, I remember Eminem once said that he knew his song “My Name Is” was going to be a huge hit because the first time he heard it he was annoyed. It’s something about an annoying song that just grabs onto people. But I don’t think that anyone likes “Black Hole Sun.” I’ve never heard of anyone who likes it. I don’t understand why it gets played so much. It’s become a summer jam, and it’s not a summer song at all.

AVC: Kim Thayil called it the “Dream On” of their set.

AJ: But I like “Dream On”—I fucking love that song. Every key of this song is designed to annoy. It’s aggressively annoying. The pacing of it—it’s over five minutes long, which is inexcusable. It should be two minutes, then maybe I wouldn’t hate it so much, but it’s the one song where every time it comes on the radio I will dive for the dial and change it.

AVC: There’s a story in New York Times Magazine about Jason Everman, who got kicked out of Nirvana and then Soundgarden, and ended up as a Special Forces soldier.

AJ: Yeah, I heard about that.

AVC: Getting kicked out of Nirvana is one thing, but getting kicked out of Soundgarden sounds like a blessing in disguise.

AJ: Absolutely, maybe he wasn’t ugly enough to fit in with the rest of the band and they had to get rid of him, and then he had to go to war to get “Black Hole Sun” out of his head.

AVC: Did the song get progressively more annoying to you as it went on, or was it just immediately something you hated?

AJ: I never would’ve thought about it again, the first time I heard of it, except they just played it all the time. It’s almost Pavlovian, you just hear the keys start to come up and hear him start to say, “Black hole sun, won’t you come” over and over again, and it’s this malaise that infects your brain. I think the more I hear it, the worse it is. The first time I heard it, if I’d never heard it again, I would never think of it. It’s just a bad song that got way overplayed and it’s still overplayed. It’s the one song I’ll hear all the time, still.

AVC: It’s on alt-rock radio all the time.

AJ: It crosses all barriers, and it sucks every time.

AVC: Cornell called the lyrics “the closest to just playing with words for words’ sake” of anything he’s written. And reading them now, that makes sense.

AJ: Absolutely, they’re completely nonsensical and—I don’t know a lot about music, but the tune is terrible. If you just heard the instrumental version, you’d want to kill yourself. And when you hear the words, the lyrics are brutal, and the way he sings them. If you watch the video, look at the band while they’re playing the song. They have the look on their faces that everyone has when they listen to the song, of just pure unadulterated boredom and annoyance.

AVC: That video is particularly abysmal.

AJ: It’s just trying too hard. I don’t know what they were doing, if they were trying to make a commentary on something about people in the suburbs, but every character is annoying in their own way, they all have this dumb look on their faces. It’s like, “Okay, you’re chopping up a fish, or you’re combing your hair,” but they do it as hard as they can. It’s just this slow draw from beginning to end, there’s no story, there’s nothing you could ever enjoy. Every single person in that video sucks, every actor sucks, and the director sucks. Everything about it just sucks.

AVC: It has all those canted-angle shots of the band with those terrible green screen clouds behind them.

AJ: Oh, it’s the worst green screen. And then the black hole shows up. I read a little bit about it, and they said that they had done two versions of the video. One version was kind of lo-fi with a little bit of effect, but then when it started to get a lot of airplay, they did another one with even more stretched-face effects. But you never see one and think, “Oh, that’s cool.” I’ve never reacted so badly to a special effect before, and they use it over and over again.

AVC: Then that black hole starts sucking everything up by the end.

AJ: It looks like someone spilled a Pepsi on a projector, is what it looks like. It just doesn’t look like anything remotely resembling a black hole, or that you would ever be scared of, or that these people somehow deserve whatever fate they’re getting by being pulled into a sun. I assume that’s like the physical embodiment of the experience of listening to “Black Hole Sun”—being yanked out of your life toward a black hole.

AVC: Is it just this Soundgarden song, or do you hate all of them?

AJ: I don’t like Chris Cornell’s voice. Some people are like, “You must not like Eddie Vedder or Scott Weiland,” but I love both those guys. It’s just something about Chris Cornell, that everything he sings sounds awful and the same. He sings everything the same.

AVC: Does that affect your opinion of Audioslave as well, even with the guys from Rage Against The Machine?

AJ: Oh absolutely, Audioslave was ruined for me. I even hate “Spoonman.” But something about “Black Hole Sun” slowed him down enough for maximum atrocity. I hate it. It wasn’t even a question of what to pick. My only fear of doing this segment was that you would say someone else just did “Black Hole Sun,” and then I wouldn’t know what to do.
Old 08-07-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well MTV overplayed a lot of songs in the 90's.

I know they overplayed "Breathe" by The Prodigy and "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead.

I grew to like "Breathe" again (still not a favorite song of mine), but I never liked Radiohead...so overplaying the song didn't change a thing.
Old 08-07-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Not that piped-in grocery store music is the same as radio, because there are a lot of songs that get played a lot, but...

I was thinking of this thread today at work, and I was thinking how, of all the songs that get played over the store's speakers, I seem to hear Aerosmith's "Angel" quite a lot, probably once a day. Other songs maybe play every two or three days, but that one seems to play every fucking day...

...and sure enough, not five minutes after thinking of this thread and that song, what song starts playing? You guessed it..."Angel". What are the fucking odds?
Old 08-07-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Cochrane's one of my favourite musicians, but I've never liked that song, especially after it was played to death. However, the album on which it originated, Mad, Mad World is superb, with a number of great songs like, first and foremost, "Sinking Like a Sunset", as well as "No Regrets", "All the King's Men", "The Secret Is to Know When to Stop", and "Washed Away".
"Brave and Crazy" is my favorite on that album.
Old 08-07-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some more aside from More Than a Feeling:

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

Yes - Roundabout

Always on the classic rock radio here everyday for the past 20 years, ughhh...

I don't think pink floyd is overplayed maybe aside from just tracks from Darkside of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall. I don't really hear so much of their other output otherwise. They certainly wouldn't ever play any of their 60s stuff for example.
Old 08-07-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how could I forget this one too, The Who - Baba o'Riley
Old 08-08-13, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Another vote for In The Air Tonight.
Old 08-08-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by statcat
how could I forget this one too, The Who - Baba o'Riley
You go to hell. You go to hell and die!

Old 08-08-13, 10:36 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Anything by Steve Miller Band comes to mind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.