Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt (New Album) - 10/15/2013

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt (New Album) - 10/15/2013

Old 10-16-13, 02:48 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt (New Album) - 10/15/2013

I truly believe every album they have put out is rock solid.

Even Binaural. Even Riot Act. Those are fun to revisit.
Old 10-16-13, 03:40 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Amazon Gold Box says there's a Pearl Jam deal in twenty minutes:

Upcoming Deal - 4:00pm CST
A Lightning Deal to Celebrate Pearl Jam’s new album, Lightning Bolt.
Old 10-16-13, 04:09 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Oh. It's a SiriusXM radio for the car. Because there is a Pearl Jam station. Huh.
Old 10-17-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I truly believe every album they have put out is rock solid.

Even Binaural. Even Riot Act. Those are fun to revisit.
Yeah I agree. I admittedly am a Pearl Jam fanboy but I think their albums are all pretty solid and none of them are truly bad. I think the weakest of their albums is probably Binaural though. Surprised to see someone put Vitalogy as one of the worst Pearl Jam albums.

As far as Lightning Bolt, I haven't actually got my copy yet. My local Target was out of it and Walmart had no copies so I had to order it from Amazon. The times I've listened to it on iTunes I've enjoyed it though. Really wish I was able to see them on tour but they aren't anywhere remotely close to where I'm at.
Old 10-17-13, 07:25 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I agree. I admittedly am a Pearl Jam fanboy but I think their albums are all pretty solid and none of them are truly bad. I think the weakest of their albums is probably Binaural though. Surprised to see someone put Vitalogy as one of the worst Pearl Jam albums.

As far as Lightning Bolt, I haven't actually got my copy yet. My local Target was out of it and Walmart had no copies so I had to order it from Amazon. The times I've listened to it on iTunes I've enjoyed it though. Really wish I was able to see them on tour but they aren't anywhere remotely close to where I'm at.
Binaural is one I listen to every so often. Some pretty underrated stuff on there. Even at their worst, they're really good.
Old 10-17-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Binaural is probably my favorite album since Yield. It's so raw, so intimate.
Old 10-17-13, 10:10 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by Raul3
Binaural is probably my favorite album since Yield. It's so raw, so intimate.
"Nothing As It Seems" is just epic.
Old 10-17-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Revisiting the contemporary "lesser" PJ albums...I'm game for that...might even have something controversial for you guys.

Binaural and Riot Act were both a little bit underwhelming at first but really grew on me and have withstood the test of time, especially Binaural. At any rate, both albums have at least 4-5 classic songs on them with just a bit of experimental stuff and filler, and Lightning Bolt feels like it will fit that same mold.

Backspacer is a cut above those IMO. Just listen to "The End"...I mean really listen...such a powerful song.

But the one that I loved at first but don't care for now: Pearl Jam (Avocado). At the time, it felt like a real return to form, but after some time to reflect on it, all of the albums surrounding it were far superior IMO. I couldn't pick out more than a couple of songs that I still like on that album and it doesn't work as a conceptual whole either. /controversy

At the end of the day, I'm not sure any of these are on par with Ten, Vs., Vitalogy or Yield; but Binaural and Backspacer are at least on par with No Code.
Old 10-17-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No controversy here. I actually had to check the song list, and no I don't want to hear any of those songs live. There may be a couple that I may listen from time to time in my iPhone but that's it.

BTW I just fell in love with Future Days, I know I'm late to the party. Also I think I don't like Yellow Moon. *runs away*
Old 10-17-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I haven't listed enough to Binaural to really judge it fairly I guess. I have to revisit it, I don't remember disliking it just that it seemed somewhat forgettable even though it has one of their best songs (Nothing As It Seems).

Have to say I disagree about the self titled Pearl Jam though. It has what may be one of my top three or four Pearl Jam songs, Come Back. That song to me is just absolutely beautiful yet sad at the same time. Also like the rockers on it such as Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, and Big Wave. I think overall it's a really solid album and one I've listened to many times over.

Backspacer is really good too. It has a good balance of good rocking songs but also some nice melodic/ballad songs. Favorite tracks off it are probably Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Just Breathe, Unthought Known, Amongst The Waves, and The End.
Old 10-17-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I haven't listed enough to Binaural to really judge it fairly I guess. I have to revisit it, I don't remember disliking it just that it seemed somewhat forgettable even though it has one of their best songs (Nothing As It Seems).
The trick with Binaural is to start at track 4, as it has the weakest opening of any of their albums.

The next 6-7 songs are top-notch PJ.

Backspacer is really good too. It has a good balance of good rocking songs but also some nice melodic/ballad songs. Favorite tracks off it are probably Gonna See My Friend, Got Some, Just Breathe, Unthought Known, Amongst The Waves, and The End.
Good choices. This album reminds me a lot of Yield, and that's a very good thing. I actually really like The Fixer as well, even if it's not cool to like it.

I'm not prepared to defend my dislike of "Self-Titled", especially since I probably posted how much I loved it at the time, but I just have to say that it's lost its luster for me. All of the rockers feel a little bit lacking in hindsight compared to other albums.
Old 10-17-13, 01:59 PM

I have to say this album is really growing on me after the third listen. Nothing stands out as awesome just yet, but the album as a whole is very good.

If anyone is interested, next week is Pearl Jam week on Jimmy Fallon. He will have various bands covering PJ and then performances by PJ on Thursday and Friday. My DVR is set.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-fallo...201230490.html

They are also going to be the "soundtrack" to the World Series on Fox.
Old 10-17-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
The trick with Binaural is to start at track 4, as it has the weakest opening of any of their albums.

The next 6-7 songs are top-notch PJ.
I definitely plan on revisiting both this one and Riot Act. I like Riot Act a bit more but it and Binaural are the two I've listened to the least probably.

Good choices. This album reminds me a lot of Yield, and that's a very good thing. I actually really like The Fixer as well, even if it's not cool to like it.
I actually have no problem with The Fixer. I just would say it's my least favorite single off the album. It's not a terrible song or anything though.

I'm not prepared to defend my dislike of "Self-Titled", especially since I probably posted how much I loved it at the time, but I just have to say that it's lost its luster for me. All of the rockers feel a little bit lacking in hindsight compared to other albums.
I don't know I really think this is a solid album. Like I mentioned Come Back I still think is one of the best Pearl Jam songs of all time. I absolutely love that song. The rockers to me are good because it feels like Eddie is putting a lot of power and passion into the vocals when he's singing them.
Old 10-17-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I definitely plan on revisiting both this one and Riot Act. I like Riot Act a bit more but it and Binaural are the two I've listened to the least probably.
The opening 3 songs of Binaural are so weak, it's easy to miss or forget how solid the rest of the album is, or at least that's my theory.

Highlights for me:

4. Light Years (those lyrics)
5. Nothing As It Seems
7. Insignificance (among their best rockers)
8. Of The Girl (experiment that worked)
9. Grievance (another great rocker)
13. Parting Ways (winds album down in classic fashion)

For my money, Grievance/Insignificance are a better 1-2 punch than anything on "Pearl Jam", and Light Years/Nothing As It Seems are among their best ballads.

Of The Girl is just a personal favorite...may or may not have broad appeal.
Old 10-17-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think I don't like Eddie's voice in the Avocado album. Come Back is great though, that's one of the two or three that I revisit from time to time.

But I really like Eddie's voice in Binaural. So let's start with the parts I agree with chess. Light Years, yep, it breaks me every time. I'm not that big fan of NAIS but it's a solid song. Insignificance and Grievance are great in the album, but live, oh man, they rock so hard when they play those songs live. I can scream those lyrics. No opinion on Parting Ways but Soon Forget is one of my favorites.

Now, WTF!!! Breakerfall is great in the album and same live. I'm listening to the Washington, DC 9-4-00 (that I attended!) and they are having so much fun playing it. Memphis 8-15-00 now, Eddie mumbles more than usual, but I just love his voice in this song. Some interesting guitar too. Listening to the Paris bootleg now, great drums intro, I just love that Eddie scream at the beginning.

God's Dice... yeah I don't like that one. LOL!

Evacuation. It's not a bad song, it's just that God's Dice is probably one of their worst album songs, they needed something stronger. Checking two live versions I have now. Paris first, yeah, live sounds good to me. Nothing really big, music is ok, lyrics are ok. Not a bad song, nothing great either. Lisbon doesn't sound better either.

It will probably be a long time before we hear these songs live again though.

Edit: Well I checked the official site and:

Breakerfall:
FIRST PLAYED: Wed 10 May, 2000 - Mt. Baker Theatre Bellingham, Washington
LAST PLAYED: Thu 5 July, 2012 - O2 World Berlin, Germany
TIMES PLAYED: 80

God's Dice:
LAST PLAYED: Mon 2 July, 2012 - O2 Arena Prague, Czech Republic
TIMES PLAYED: 47

Evacuation:
LAST PLAYED: Wed 28 October, 2009 - Wachovia Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
TIMES PLAYED: 28

Yeah, I don't think we will hear Evacuation soon.
Old 10-17-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, WTF!!! Breakerfall is great in the album and same live. I'm listening to the Washington, DC 9-4-00 (that I attended!) and they are having so much fun playing it. Memphis 8-15-00 now, Eddie mumbles more than usual, but I just love his voice in this song. Some interesting guitar too. Listening to the Paris bootleg now, great drums intro, I just love that Eddie scream at the beginning.
I get liking Breakerfall live, but the studio version is a little bit too...I don't know...clean...overproduced...not sure how to describe it.

It kind of reminds me of one of my greatest PJ disappointments. Before Vitalogy came out, I'd gotten some live versions of the new songs and absolutely loved the live version of Satan's Bed. In fact, the live version is still one of my absolute favorite PJ songs. But the studio version was really clean and overproduced with cheesy whip sound effects. I was mortified, and it turned out to be one of my least favorite songs on Vitalogy...and there was some really experimental crap on Vitalogy.

How Satan's Bed is supposed to sound...raw and gritty:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-CRK3vDiARg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chess; 10-17-13 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I myself will never understand why people say that Pearl Jam is such a great band......For whatever reasons they just fell into such a generic state - their songs sound so recycled, almost to the point where you would hear their tunes being used in jingles.

With that said...I found myself buying into the hype for a while - I honestly now think it was because when you think about it....there are barely any decent rock bands out there (yes, including non-mainstream as well).

But with this album, while they're still trying to shake off the generic sound cobwebs (Unfortunately, it still remains) I was very surprised at how much I like (honestly like) the song Pendulum (a song that didn't make it onto Backspacer) - didn't know they had that in them still.

I dig the first 3 songs as well as infallible - the rest of the album is a throw away for me (Yes, put me in the camp that thinks sirens is pretty terrible).

For any fans interested - here is a link of each track with the bands notes:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/re...and-commentary
Old 10-17-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also I think I don't like Yellow Moon. *runs away*
Something about that song was bugging me.

Listen to it and Low Light from Yield back to back.
Old 10-17-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I've only given it a couple of listens, but so far, Lightning Bolt seems like a step backwards, or down from Backspacer. That album was immediately accessible to me, but I feel as if the new one will likely be a grower, and really have to work it's charms on me. More so than it's managed to yet.
Old 10-17-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Well, I've only given it a couple of listens, but so far, Lightning Bolt seems like a step backwards, or down from Backspacer. That album was immediately accessible to me, but I feel as if the new one will likely be a grower, and really have to work it's charms on me. More so than it's managed to yet.
In my opinion Pearl Jam is a band that makes albums that are growers often. I don't see Lightning Bolt as a step backwards it more seems like they tried something new rather than just falling into a routine. Some people aren't going to like that and will dismiss it and others will probably learn to love this album the more listens they give it.

Originally Posted by Rival11
I myself will never understand why people say that Pearl Jam is such a great band......For whatever reasons they just fell into such a generic state - their songs sound so recycled, almost to the point where you would hear their tunes being used in jingles.

With that said...I found myself buying into the hype for a while - I honestly now think it was because when you think about it....there are barely any decent rock bands out there (yes, including non-mainstream as well).
I don't know if I really agree with this. I think Pearl Jam went through a stage in their career early on where they were trying to be a bit more mainstream which maybe made them seem a bit generic but that's long since faded if you ask me. To me they seem more like a band now that makes music the way they like to and don't really care whether it's got a lot of mainstream appeal or not as they know that they have a bunch of loyal fans as is.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-17-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 910 Likes on 553 Posts

Now, WTF!!! Breakerfall is great in the album and same live.
Thank you - I've been thinking the same thing every time I see the first three write-off bit.

Now, Evacuation....that can go for sure!
Old 10-18-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the 90s I used to say that Nirvana was my favorite band but I knew that Pearl Jam was the better band.
I became a hardcore Pearl Jam fan until the bootlegs. Their albums are crap compared to their Live performances.

And yeah, although I'm a hardcore fan now, I do think they are a great rock band in general. They are not the Beatles, Led Zepp, or the Stones. They are more like their favorites, The Who. With that I mean that they didn't change music, or people don't associate them with that. I mean everyone thinks that Nirvana did that. We know that it was several bands that did that, but the public in general thinks always of Nirvana.

But, for better or worse, there were more PJ/Eddie clones in the 90s than clones from any other band/singer. I think that affected them and that's why they released those albums after Vitalogy.

Oh and I like "Low Light".
Old 10-18-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I was surprised to hear "Mind Your Manners" used in this week's Sons of Anarchy episode. I don't know if that's a good get for SoA or slumming it for PJ, or a little of both.
Old 10-18-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are actually putting the songs in different shows now. Future Days was in fucking Grays Anatomy.
Old 10-18-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the 90s I used to say that Nirvana was my favorite band but I knew that Pearl Jam was the better band.
I became a hardcore Pearl Jam fan until the bootlegs. Their albums are crap compared to their Live performances.
PJ was always my favorite from that scene, and I don't think Nirvana was even second. I felt like Nevermind was a great album, but it always seemed obvious that they didn't have another one in them. Dave Grohl may have proven me wrong though, as he's done some really memorable stuff.

And yeah, they've always been amazing live, which is a rarer trait than a lot of people realize.

And yeah, although I'm a hardcore fan now, I do think they are a great rock band in general. They are not the Beatles, Led Zepp, or the Stones. They are more like their favorites, The Who. With that I mean that they didn't change music, or people don't associate them with that. I mean everyone thinks that Nirvana did that. We know that it was several bands that did that, but the public in general thinks always of Nirvana.
More controversy: I think PJ is the most prolific American band.

It's been 23 years and 10 albums, and they are still going strong, and they have probably 50+ truly classic songs along with at least a couple dozen traditional hits. Not to mention definitive covers like Crazy Mary and B-sides like Yellow Ledbetter and movie tracks like State of Love and Trust or Man of the Hour.

Thank goodness MP3s came along, because I'd given up on making mix CDs.

But, for better or worse, there were more PJ/Eddie clones in the 90s than clones from any other band/singer. I think that affected them and that's why they released those albums after Vitalogy.
And this is why some people think they sound generic. A ton of bands have borrowed or emulated PJ over the past 2 decades.

Oh and I like "Low Light".
Me too! I was just making the point that Yellow Moon sounds similar.

Last edited by chess; 10-18-13 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.