DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Steve Hoffman-music engineer-why the big following? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/611911-steve-hoffman-music-engineer-why-big-following.html)

bunkaroo 07-09-13 01:26 PM

Re: Steve Hoffman-music engineer-why the big following?

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 11758959)
Which is kind of ironic, as anytime someone posts a new thread here (or any forum, for that matter) about any band/album, they are essentially doing rather the same thing as your example. You're throwing something out there into a large group of people and hoping someone else responds to it. Not really all that different when you think about it.

In regards to your edit, it should never stop you from trying. After all, isn't the whole point of forums to try find and engage conversation with (hopefully) like minded individuals? If you don't put it out there, you'll never know for sure one way or the other.

I agree here, except that the constant churn due to things like the umpteenth thread about what the Beatles ate during the Abbey Road sessions makes it harder to connect with like-minded individuals. Also, sometimes you don't go somewhere to specifically talk about something, but rather just see what the conversations are and jump in when interested. That's where the Hoffman forums are mostly useless me. Even I liked the Beatles or the Monkees, I sure as hell wouldn't need to post a new thread about them every week.

I know doing genre subforums is a slippery slope, but I think that place could really use some more organization.

bunkaroo 07-09-13 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11759080)
Please, I was watching Black Flag in a room with 40 people when you were buying Wham! 12".

And you wonder why your posts are frequently met with derision. You constantly play the "I've been around longer and know better than you card". It is beyond tired. Some might surmise you're bitter your time has come and gone. Shit, my time has come and gone, and I know I'm younger than you (but not young).

Time (and music) marches on. Without us in most cases.

CRM114 07-09-13 01:32 PM

And you just casually dismiss the instigating remark. I see how you work, man.

I was merely illustrating the ignorance of the guy's comment - implying that my breadth of knowledge of music is limited to FM radio. It's hilarious. If only he knew.

bunkaroo 07-09-13 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11759098)
And you just casually dismiss the instigating remark. I see how you work, man.

I was merely illustrating the ignorance of the guy's comment - implying that my breadth of knowledge of music is limited to FM radio. It's hilarious. If only he knew.

No, I saw his remark. Frankly, I wasn't convinced it wasn't accurate. I do know the stuff you mention liking is more popular and well-known than what I listen to regularly. I'm not trying to wear that as a badge of honor - it's just how it is. I like what I like, and I'm not going to find it on any radio, FM pop or otherwise.

CRM114 07-09-13 01:50 PM

Wilco and Foxygen are popular and well-known? To a certain extent, maybe? Well, whatever. I don't need to get suspended over something I didn't start and don't care to continue.

The Bus 07-09-13 01:53 PM

If you listen to music from after 1980, I don't understand why you think there's no new music. The two statements don't jive to me.

CRM114 07-09-13 01:57 PM

I never said that. That's what you want to read.

I said everything after 1980 (and I'm making a hyperbolic statement obviously) is built on influences of previous music. Foxygen is new but they are built on layers of Kinks, VU, and other psychedelic predecessors. They didn't create the sound out of thin air like those bands. The New York Dolls did. Roxy Music did. Etc, etc. That's all I'm saying.

Rockmjd23 07-09-13 02:01 PM

Music hasn't been good since [insert decade I graduated high school].

bunkaroo 07-09-13 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11759129)
Wilco and Foxygen are popular and well-known? To a certain extent, maybe? Well, whatever. I don't need to get suspended over something I didn't start and don't care to continue.

I've heard Wilco mentioned and seen them covered in music outlets more often than I'd ever want to.

So what if it's popular - if you like it, listen to it.

The Bus 07-09-13 02:15 PM

So is your statement:

<ul><li> Nothing great in music happened after 1980.
<li> Nothing new in music happened after 1980.
</ul>

Either of those statements seem patently false. Did you mean to say, "I don't like any music after 1980"?

bunkaroo 07-09-13 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 11759147)
Music hasn't been good since [insert decade I graduated high school].

That's hilariously true. It's not a surprise I view my time in HS as the golden era of thrash metal (1988-1992). So many classics in that timeframe. But I also don't listen to any of them nearly as much as I used to. I recognize that time was a building block on which some of my favorite music now is built upon - as it should be. Genres fragment and evolve. What comes out of that can be as interesting, and in many cases, more interesting than what the progenitors of the genre did.

This notion that the starting point was always the best makes me laugh. So should we always eat pizza the way it was first made? Drink beer the way it was first made? Watch movies in the manner they were first made?

arminius 07-09-13 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 11759061)
Music has not been diluted or relegated. Music, as an art, has been as healthy as ever. Media, however, has been fragmented. There are less communal media experiences (where you can talk with strangers). The chance of any one person having had the same pop culture / media experience as you the night before is much lower now than it was in the 70s.

And that's fine. That lets you pursue what you want, and I can pursue what I want, instead of having both of us be subject to something that is merely OK. I don't want to go back to the days of there being three channels of content and I have to make do with something mediocre just for the sake of being able to discuss it with a coworker the next day.

Same with music.

But once you go into the listener level of measuring "coverage", we're looking at individual measurements: You have 24 hours in a day now, same as you did (if you were alive) in the 70s.

In the 70s, the Stones coverage would have captured the majority of my attention, simply because it was on the front page of the newspaper and that would have been one of the few media outlets I would have had access to.

Cut to now. I get my news from a pretty wide variety of sources, and they rarely overlap. Sometimes, two or three places will talk about a story, but it doesn't go beyond that. Until recently, with the release of <i>Yeezus</i> when there was an article or viewpoint in every one of these sources.

And out of the six (or so), only one of them is even a pure music site.

So there are still stories and albums and events that can capture someone's attention or time. It just doesn't mean it will capture your neighbors.

(And for the sake of this argument, how many articles/reviews of that album were you exposed to?)

Not sure if you meant what I wrote about The Stones. It wasn't an album it was the 72 tour. And it wasn't reviews so much as front page coverage of the entire tour. It was treated as a major event and was in the papers almost every day. I don't think any tour today would get that kind of coverage because it wasn't just about the music but about The Stones, drugs, the law, partying, their own jet and so on. I've never seen news coverage of that intensity for any act before then or since.

The Bus 07-09-13 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11759265)
Not sure if you meant what I wrote about The Stones. It wasn't an album it was the 72 tour. And it wasn't reviews so much as front page coverage of the entire tour.

But you are talking about a single event. Not every tour of every band was written about, right?

arminius 07-09-13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 11759284)
But you are talking about a single event. Not every tour of every band was written about, right?

Correct, it was continual coverage of The Rolling Stones 1972 STP tour. In Canada and the US June and July.

cungar 07-09-13 04:05 PM

Funny that a thread making fun of the SHF has turned into a "I'm a bigger music snob than you" thread.

Rocketdog2000 07-09-13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 11759085)
I agree here, except that the constant churn due to things like the umpteenth thread about what the Beatles ate during the Abbey Road sessions makes it harder to connect with like-minded individuals. Also, sometimes you don't go somewhere to specifically talk about something, but rather just see what the conversations are and jump in when interested. That's where the Hoffman forums are mostly useless me. Even I liked the Beatles or the Monkees, I sure as hell wouldn't need to post a new thread about them every week.

I know doing genre subforums is a slippery slope, but I think that place could really use some more organization.

True, I'll give you that in both counts. I just tend to ignore most of those threads that are excessive.

Rocketdog2000 07-09-13 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11759339)
Funny that a thread making fun of the SHF has turned into a "I'm a bigger music snob than you" thread.

Now that's the best laugh I've had all day. It was much needed, too, so thank you. Sincerely.

printerati 07-10-13 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11758762)
Well, everything great in music did happen before 1980. ;) Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 11758827)
I also believe the 1970's was the greatest era for filmmaking as well.

So, basically, the Blaxploitation, pre-Rap era. I see where you're going with this, racist!

CRM114 07-10-13 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 11759182)
So is your statement:

<ul><li> Nothing great in music happened after 1980.
<li> Nothing new in music happened after 1980.
</ul>

Either of those statements seem patently false. Did you mean to say, "I don't like any music after 1980"?

Plenty of new things happened but nothing greatly innovative like glam, punk, new wave, psychedelia, or Lou Reed.

And regarding your last statement, hello, you must be new here. :lol:

CRM114 07-10-13 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by printerati (Post 11759893)
So, basically, the Blaxploitation, pre-Rap era. I see where you're going with this, racist!

Well, yeah. ;)

http://pictures.cdconnection.com/covers/809571.jpg

Pizza 07-10-13 09:23 AM

I feel like I'm reading a thread from the SHM forums.
Say what you want, but those forums are active. They may not be your cup of tea but this place isn't for everyone either. (And, I don't mean that in the negative sense but more like one man's trash is another man's treasure.)

bunkaroo 07-10-13 09:28 AM

I guess it would be one thing if say the first 5 pages there of threads were all different topics of which I a had little interest. The problem is a significant amount of threads are about a handful of artists. Maybe they should just create a Beatles/Wings/solo works subforum and a Monkees subforum. :D

Pizza 07-10-13 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 11759954)
I guess it would be one thing if say the first 5 pages there of threads were all different topics of which I a had little interest. The problem is a significant amount of threads are about a handful of artists. Maybe they should just create a Beatles/Wings/solo works subforum and a Monkees subforum. :D

People like talking about their favorite bands and there's not too many places to go to talk about such groups like the Monkees for example.
I see other bands get listed it's just threads fall off the main pages fast but they still get searched out.
Just start a thread or two on the bands/music you like, they will come.

cultshock 07-10-13 01:13 PM

Yeah, there are a lot of interesting threads there, you just have to hunt for them because it's such an active forum (I'll often open a thread on the first page and by the time I'm done reading it, the thread has already been pushed back to the second or third page).

EddieMoney 07-10-13 01:37 PM

I went to the forums and got distracted, spent about two hours there. I'm not paid for my productivity.