Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite punk band ever

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Your favorite punk band ever?
Ramones
11.65%
The Clash
20.39%
Sex Pistols
0.97%
The Damned
0.97%
Black Flag
0.97%
Gang Of Four
0.97%
Dead Kennedys
5.83%
Green Day
2.91%
Husker Du
1.94%
Wire
5.83%
MC5
0%
The Stooges
0%
Bad Brains
1.94%
Rancid
1.94%
Social Distortion
3.88%
The Buzzcocks
1.94%
Misfits
18.45%
Minor Threat
0%
Minutemen
2.91%
Rise Against
0%
New York Dolls
0%
Bad Religion
0.97%
X
2.91%
Generation X
0%
Screw this, my favorite punk band isn't listed (Other)
12.62%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Your favorite punk band ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 06:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Your favorite punk band ever

Wire is definitely a punk band. Track down some of their live performances and you'll see.

They did move quickly into post punk on record, but Pink Flag is punk through and through.
Old 06-14-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Crass and Discharge should also be on that list. The Exploited and GBH too if it's a longer list.
Old 06-14-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about Paulina Murray with Penetration. They had one of my all-time favorite singles (this clip is from 2002, song is late 70s):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEdCMyuolkU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEdCMyuolkU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-14-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
I was 18 in 1973. Back then you could drink at 18. We used to hang out at CBGBs every week. I recall going there Thursdays for some reason. The Ramones, Patti Smith Group, Blondie, The Dead Boys, The Cramps, Television, Richard Hell and the Void Oids, The Miamis, Mink Deville, New York Dolls. We saw The Dictators at a club in Queens called Coventry. Coventry had 3 or 4 stages and there were 7 or 8 groups playing on some nights. We also hung out at Max's Kansas City, The Bottom Line, Club 57. We saw one show at The CBGBs Theater, Patti Smith Group on new years eve 1977. That was not open for very long. We saw many bands that we had no idea who they were. There was also a guy with an accordian who played Gloria. He called himself Tumbleweed and I could swear he was Weird Al. There is no way I would be able to pick any one group, it was the whole scene at the time.
Don't hear them mentioned nearly enough. (Don't recall who sang for them before "Handsome Dick" Manitoba, in 1973).

sounds like you saw some very cool shows.
Old 06-14-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One time we were staggering down the street early in the morning after a night clubbing in Queens when staggering the other way is Handsome Dick handing out Tator flyers. That was surreal.
Old 06-15-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Wire is definitely a punk band. Track down some of their live performances and you'll see.

They did move quickly into post punk on record, but Pink Flag is punk through and through.
I have everything they ever recorded and will grant you that their earliest recorded live performances were punk (although more accurately art-punk or some similar hyphenated term) but even Pink Flag was decidedly post-punk in sound and attitude. From there, they never looked back and if one had to give their music a label I think post-punk is the most apt. I just don't think it's accurate to call them a punk band. Pedantic? Maybe...
Old 06-15-13, 06:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Circle Jerks
Dag Nasty

and a shout out to 'Butt Trumpet'.
Old 06-15-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Certainly the most overrated American band of all time.

The Velvet Underground is easily the best American band of all time.
*cough* Doors *cough*

And the New York Dolls were glam, not punk, although they do have ties to the 70's New York punk scene.
Old 06-15-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I never understood why Television were considered a punk band. They played super long, intricate songs. Was it their production sound? Or just that they were contemporaries of punk bands?
I think the fact that they came from the same scene gave them the punk connection (like Blondie and Talking Heads, as Sierra Disc mentions). And when Richard Hell was in the band, they were kinda more punky. Afterwards when Tom Verlaine took complete control, they actually were more post-punk sounding. However you want to classify them, I love them.
Old 06-15-13, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wire.
Old 06-15-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grew up listening to a lot of youth crew/straight edge hardcore - most of that is not "considered" punk by those in the scene. Of those bands, my favorites are:

1. Quicksand
2. Judge
3. Gorilla Biscuits
4. Into Another
5. Killing Time (more of a NYHC band)
6. Integrity

Of the more "punk" bands, my favorites would be:

1. Bad Brains
2. Descendents
3. Dag Nasty
4. Circle Jerks
5. Minor Threat
Old 06-16-13, 12:18 AM

ive never heard the wire in my life. by the praise here it sounded like i was missing out on some great old punk. i looked them up on youtube and didnt really think they sounded punk at all. at least not what i think of when i think of punk.
Old 06-16-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm surprised The Misfits are ahead as i only put them on as an afterthought... I went Ramones myself although I have a huge love for Wire, Gang of Four and The Damned.

So Misfits fans, sell me on them, why do you think they're the best punks ever? Album to start with?
Old 06-16-13, 01:30 AM

i think the misfits are one of the best because they have very catchy and accessible songs compared to most old punk bands. "walk among us" is my fav cd of theirs and the one that first exposed me to them.
Old 06-16-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j_cCHM_bFN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-16-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I never understood why Television were considered a punk band. They played super long, intricate songs. Was it their production sound? Or just that they were contemporaries of punk bands?
New York punk rock was more about attitude and doing your own thing than being noisy and crude. It was the first and best "alternative" music scene.
Old 06-16-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I'm surprised The Misfits are ahead as i only put them on as an afterthought... I went Ramones myself although I have a huge love for Wire, Gang of Four and The Damned.

So Misfits fans, sell me on them, why do you think they're the best punks ever? Album to start with?
They're one of the first punk bands I listened to. I guess the coffin boxset would be what you'd want to get if you're deeply into them. I like them still but not my favorite I'd say. I guess I've heard the songs so many times I've become a little bored. The thing about them though is their live stuff is atrocious. I've heard some bootlegs and evil live and it all sucks in my opinion. The studio recordings seem to be all that's worth listening to.

Saw this on youtube, should give a pretty good overview of what they sound like

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/afexyq1jXlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PS - I don't think the Michael Graves 90s era of the band is that bad. I know it gets a lot of shit. It's no Danzig classic Misfits but it's okay for what it was. The Jerry Only version now is lame.
Old 08-29-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The punk rocker turned lifeboatman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23851982
Old 08-29-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, I talked to Steve about that a couple of years ago. He's very into it.
Old 08-29-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
They're one of the first punk bands I listened to. I guess the coffin boxset would be what you'd want to get if you're deeply into them. I like them still but not my favorite I'd say. I guess I've heard the songs so many times I've become a little bored. The thing about them though is their live stuff is atrocious. I've heard some bootlegs and evil live and it all sucks in my opinion. The studio recordings seem to be all that's worth listening to.
It's punk music. There's no such thing as a "good" live punk album IMO. Most of the time, it's energy, not musical chops, that make live punk albums cool. And I disagree on the Misfits' live stuff just for the fact that Danzig would be hilarious with his vamps in between songs.
Old 08-29-13, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
ive never heard the wire in my life. by the praise here it sounded like i was missing out on some great old punk. i looked them up on youtube and didnt really think they sounded punk at all. at least not what i think of when i think of punk.
To me, this is one of the most punk songs ever:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/098IhhIOJeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-29-13, 09:49 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I don't know a lot about punk.

But when I was thirteen, my friend's older brother made me a tape with Nevermind by Nirvana on one side and World's Apart by Subhumans on the other side. That one particular punk record has a special place in my memory bank.
Old 08-30-13, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
It's punk music. There's no such thing as a "good" live punk album IMO.
I would disagree. Bad Brains "The Young are Getting Restless" is outstanding and I also think their best album (and I'm a big Bad Brains fan).

Liveage (and do a lesser degree Hallraker) by the Descendents is hands down their best record and the versions of some great songs (which are good in studio versions) are perfect in the live versions.
Old 08-30-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I would disagree. Bad Brains "The Young are Getting Restless" is outstanding and I also think their best album (and I'm a big Bad Brains fan).
Two of the best live hardcore / punk records :

Old 08-30-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Clash.

Followed closely by Pennywise:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_n8TuSVmOrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.