Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dream Theater - (Self-Titled) - 9/24/13

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dream Theater - (Self-Titled) - 9/24/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Dream Theater - (Self-Titled) - 9/24/13

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
^ At least you can HEAR the drums on this album On their previous, it was buried in the mix
I agree the drums were not present enough on ADTOE, but all you could hear was guitar and drums when Portnoy was in the band, so it was kind of nice to see them not stomping all over everything (like the bass).

I listened to this at higher volume in my car yesterday, and it sounded better than on earbuds, but the snare is still not cutting enough. Pretty stark difference from listening to Soilwork's latest all week where the snare cuts through just fine but isn't obnoxiously bright or snappy on its own.

As far as the songs, I really like the first 5 tracks. After that the quality seems to wane. I usually like the long tracks and I liked "Count of Tuscany" quite a bit, but "Illumination Theory" seems thrown together. I like the pieces, especially the orchestral part, but they don't seem to make sense together to me.

I'm sure it will eventually grow on me with more listens, but I was hoping it would grab me quicker.
Old 06-20-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Dream Theater - (Self-Titled) - 9/24/13

Just got this (Late to the party, I know) and am giving the 5.1 disc a spin. So far I like what I hear. I skipped the previous album and, judging by a few comments here, I'm not missing much.