DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Lou Reed undergoes liver transplant (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/611096-lou-reed-undergoes-liver-transplant.html)

Mr. Salty 06-01-13 01:23 PM

Lou Reed undergoes liver transplant

From The Associated Press:

Lou Reed's Liver Transplant Went Well; Wife Says He's Recovering After Nearly Dying

LONDON — Rock icon Lou Reed is recovering after a life-saving liver transplant in the U.S., according to an interview with his wife published Saturday in a British newspaper.

Laurie Anderson told the Times of London that Reed "was dying" before the operation several weeks ago at Ohio's Cleveland Clinic.

She said 71-year-old Reed isn't back to full strength, but "he's already working and doing t'ai chi.

"I don't think he'll every totally recover from this, but he'll certainly be back to doing (things) in a few months," she said.

"I'm very happy. It's a new life for him."

Anderson, a musician and performance artist, praised the Cleveland facility – one of the leading transplant centers in the U.S. – and said hospitals in the couple's hometown of New York were "dysfunctional."

Reed, who has spoken of his past alcohol and drug use, co-founded influential 1960s group The Velvet Underground, whose songs included the addiction-themed "Heroin" and "I'm Waiting for the Man."

Solo works include "Walk on the Wild Side" and "Perfect Day."

Reed had earlier canceled a series of dates planned for April. His management didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Antipodean 06-01-13 04:08 PM

Re: Lou Reed undergoes liver transplant

Hope he gets well soon, one of my all time favorite artists, and I'm one of the 10 people on the planet that didn't think "Lulu" was all that bad.

astrochimp 06-01-13 04:21 PM

Get well soon Lou.

Supermallet 06-01-13 05:23 PM

I didn't realize he and Laurie Anderson actually tied the knot. Good for them. And I'm glad he's going to be okay.

Nick Danger 06-01-13 06:03 PM

I'm a fan of both Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson. But I don't like this. He's a guy in his 70s who deliberately blew up his liver through decades of smoking, drinking, and drugs.

On the other hand, I used to date a woman in her 30s who had gotten hepatitis C while she was a dental assistant in the Army. She hoped to get a new liver, but honestly didn't expect to live long enough to see her teenage daughters graduate from college.

But Lou, because he was a big rock star, got to stroll to the top of the waiting list.

auto 06-01-13 06:38 PM

How do you know he wasn't waiting for years?

Hope he gets better soon. Will be a sad day when he's gone.

Mr. Salty 06-01-13 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 11714216)
He's a guy in his 70s who deliberately blew up his liver through decades of smoking, drinking, and drugs.

The smoking (does that have anything to do with liver problems?), drinking and drugs were deliberate. The liver damage undoubtedly was not.

And I concur with auto. You have no idea how long Reed has been sick or waiting for a liver.

Decker 06-01-13 07:37 PM

Hope he's doing well. New York is one of my favorite albums. It's mind-blowing.

The Antipodean 06-01-13 10:33 PM

But Lou, because he was a big rock star, got to stroll to the top of the waiting list.

Assume much? Back up your conspiracy theory with some evidence first.

arminius 06-01-13 11:50 PM

He's 71, it should have gone to someone younger.

Traxan 06-01-13 11:56 PM

I'm a fan of both Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson. But I don't like this. He's a guy in his 70s who deliberately blew up his liver through decades of smoking, drinking, and drugs.

Meanwhile, 49-year-old Jeff Hanemann never made it to his 50th.

Mr. Salty 06-02-13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11714448)
He's 71, it should have gone to someone younger.

It should have gone to the best match with the greatest need.

rexinnih 06-02-13 11:12 AM

Any-whoo - wish Lou a quick recovery.

ResIpsa 06-03-13 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 11714520)
It should have gone to the best match with the greatest need.

Ah, but it never does, comrade, it never does.

Mr. Salty 06-03-13 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa (Post 11715276)
Ah, but it never does, comrade, it never does.

Again, in this case, evidence?

EddieMoney 06-03-13 01:21 PM

It's a natural reaction to collaborating with Metallica.

CRM114 06-04-13 08:02 AM

So happy I got to see Lou in 2000 touring for his last great album, Ecstasy. I still think it was the loudest concert I've ever been to in my life.