Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Lots of songs are influenced by other songs. And with the two songs in this lawsuit, I can't even hear a similarity.

I remember in 1984, when I heard Prince's "Take Me With U" for the first time, I thought it sounded a lot like "Summer Nights" from "Grease." But I still don't think it would justify a lawsuit:

Old 03-11-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I remember when Alice Cooper sued Kiss, because the song Dreamin' from Psycho Circus sounded like I'm Eighteen. I agree with Cooper. They settled amicably and are friends still.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZnkWBuBMFMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FQ3lB2B0bwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I remember when Alice Cooper sued Kiss, because the song Dreamin' from Psycho Circus sounded like I'm Eighteen. I agree with Cooper. They settled amicably and are friends still.
Actually I just recently converted my CD collection to digital (because my new car doesn't have a CD player) so I've been listening to my collection on shuffle, hearing a lot of stuff I haven't heard in years, and this Kiss song happened to come on, and I was like, "Holy crap, this sounds just like Eighteen."

Couldn't believe I had never noticed that before, but it was so obvious I had to look if there had been a lawsuit, and sure enough there was.
Old 03-11-15, 01:52 PM
Banned

The opening to the Clash's "Clash City Rockers" rips off the opening to the Who's "I Can't Explain." Time for a lawsuit!

Old 03-11-15, 04:18 PM
Banned

The opening bass line of Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is a ripoff of the opening bass line of Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay."

Old 03-11-15, 04:44 PM
Banned

The first seven notes of the opening bass line of "Maneater" by Hall and Oates is a ripoff of the first seven notes of the opening bass line of "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes.

When I used the word "ripoff" in these last three comparisons (Hall and Oates, Stevie Wonder, and the Clash), I actually think that all three were deliberate tributes. But today's legal climate could view them as ripoffs.

Old 03-11-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I remember hearing the Vanilla Ice song thinking it was the Queen/Bowie song:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kk6NhjD3Dbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Honestly from the moment Marvin Gaye starts singing, the song sounds nothing like Blurred Lines. That's a pretty hefty judgement for a backbeat, baseline and some Hi Hats. They needed a better attorney. I guess the whole "I was high on Vodka and Vicodin when I said that" defense doesn't play as well as it used to.
Old 03-11-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's possible to emulate an era of music without ripping it off. Look at Bruno Mars...his last two single releases were influenced by the late 70's and early 80's.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nPvuNsRccVw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OPf0YbXqDm0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think it's okay to copy as long as the original is credited. Justin Timberlake's Suit and Tie sampled this obscure song from the 70's but at least he credited it and made his version all his own.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7cMaw3MXmKo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by mrhan; 03-11-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I remember hearing the Vanilla Ice song thinking it was the Queen/Bowie song:
I always find it funny when there are audio/video clips putting these 2 songs back to back to show the similarities - as if it's hard to tell otherwise. It's almost like Vanilla Ice just dubbed over Under Pressure - it's that blatant.

As for Blurred Lines and the Marvin Gaye song - the similarities are too basic and generic for me to consider it a ripoff. There's just not enough evidence there.
Old 03-12-15, 12:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blurred Lines is such a huge rip-off of Marvin Gaye that you'd have to be deaf--or grundle--to not hear it.
Old 03-12-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Blurred Lines is such a huge rip-off of Marvin Gaye that you'd have to be deaf--or grundle--to not hear it.
The feel and groove of the songs are remarkably similar...but you can't copyright either of those things.
Old 03-12-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The feel and groove of the songs are remarkably similar...but you can't copyright either of those things.
Exactly. The jury got this one way wrong.
Old 03-12-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
The opening to the Clash's "Clash City Rockers" rips off the opening to the Who's "I Can't Explain." Time for a lawsuit!

Clash City Rockers is a different chord progression. Guns on the Roof, however:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/50XjoExO9YM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Marvin Gaye's family claim Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' sounds like 'Ain’t That Peculiar'

After winning their court case against Pharrell Williams, Robin Thicke and TI for copyright infringement of Marvin Gaye’s “Got To Give It Up”, the late singer’s family have now claimed William’s hit “Happy” borrows from Gaye’s “Ain’t That Peculiar”.

“I’m not going to lie. I do think they sound alike,” Gaye’s daughter told CBS News.

“I heard the mash-ups – but I didn’t really need to hear them,” said Gaye’s ex-wife Janis. “I know ‘Ain’t That Peculiar’ and I’ve heard ‘Happy.’”

However, the family – who inherited the copyright to the soul legend’s music following his death in 1984 – said they did not intend to bring about further legal action. “We’re just in the moment today and we’re satisfied.”

Williams and Thicke were ordered to pay $7.3m (£4.8m) to Gaye’s family earlier this week following a ruling at the US District Court in Los Angeles Court.

Nona, who reportedly wept when the verdict was read, said: “Right now, I feel free. Free from…Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke’s chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told.”

In a statement following the trial, Thicke and Williams’ lawyer Howard E King said: “There was no properly admissible evidence upon which the jury could have found copying. A comparison of the two songs readily reveals that there isn’t one note in the melody that’s the same, there isn’t one chord in the entire song that’s the same, and there are no more than three notes in the bass lines, out of 26 notes, that are the same.”

He added: “This matter is not finished by any stretch of the imagination”.

“Blurred Lines” earned more than $5m each for Thicke and Williams. Although both are credited as its songwriters, Williams reportedly wrote the song in about an hour in 2012, and the pair recorded it in one night.

William's hit single “Happy” became the best-selling song of 2014, selling more than 1.5m copies in the UK and 6.5m in the US.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gFER9-JvKdg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ntEPjw2IGbA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y6Sxv-sUYtM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh FFS, quite while you're ahead.
Old 03-13-15, 02:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see the elements that sound similar, but IMO it's not nearly similar enough.
Old 03-15-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I can see the elements that sound similar, but IMO it's not nearly similar enough.
but they are incredibly close. Exact same beat and song structure and extemely close melody line. Personally I think these types of lawsuits are crap, but it was clearly influenced by the Gaye song. I would have hung the jury despite that, they are different songs.
Old 03-16-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, the family won the first suit, why not try again since they have the momentum? Of course, had Pharrell not made his comments, maybe they would have left well enough alone.
Old 03-17-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I think its time for the Gaye family to have a seat.
Old 05-15-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Growing Pains alum Alan Thicke, who told Us Weekly that when he and his wife hit the sheets it's often to his son's music.

"When we do get freaky, we love [Robin's song] 'Sex Therapy,'" Tanya Callau, Thicke's wife of 10 years, and Thicke told Us Weekly. "You have to admit, it's a great song to get in the mood."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...icke-sex-music
Old 05-15-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Old 01-13-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beavis69
I think its time for the Gaye family to have a seat.
JANUARY 12, 2016 10:15am PT by Eriq Gardner
Hollywood Docket: Marvin Gaye Family Wants $3.4 Million More in "Blurred Lines" Lawsuit

Although the copyright dispute over "Blurred Lines" is now headed to an appellate court, there is one big issue remaining for a trial court in the dispute between Marvin Gaye's family and Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke.

On Monday, Richard Busch and other attorneys representing the Gayes submitted a motion to a California judge requesting about $2.66 million in attorneys' fees and $777,000 in allowable expenses.

The Gayes emerged mostly victorious at a trial last March when a jury came back with a $7.4 million verdict. The judge later trimmed the amount to $5.3 million and granted a request for an ongoing royalty rate of 50 percent of songwriter and publishing revenues.

In the motion yesterday, Nona and Frankie Gaye proclaim themselves the prevailing party entitled to their fees and expenses. They say they originally reached out to Thicke's camp to discuss the belief that "Blurred Lines" was copied from Gaye's 1977 hit "Got to Give It Up," and rather than working out a licensing deal, the other side hit them with a lawsuit seeking a declaration of non-infringement.

"They made a brave decision to fight when sued and to protect the copyright to one of the most iconic songs of all time, despite being threatened themselves with an award of fees, which would have been economically disastrous to them," states the motion.

Busch's firm says it spent 6,033 hours on the case, and there's also money being requested for others. For instance the $3.4 million requested covers the work of transactional lawyer Mark Levinsohn and experts including Gary Cohen, Nancie Stern and Judith Finell who testified.
Old 01-13-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They want the money to cover legal fees that would otherwise have to be covered by them directly. Makes sense.
Old 01-13-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They want the money to cover legal fees that would otherwise have to be covered by them directly. Makes sense.
I don't practice IP law but I believe the statute gives them the right to seek it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.