Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Old 10-30-13, 11:35 PM
Banned

Re: Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I hope he gets sued into oblivion.
All the guy had to do was give credit and this would be a non-story. I liked Thicke before he started becoming too big for his britches but I'm such a huge Marvin Gaye fan I can't stand to see him get ripped off like this.
Old 10-30-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I feel like a lot of plagiarism cases are probably unintentional. I've seen plenty of musicians get something in their head, think it was theirs, only to find out that it was from a song they heard years and years ago.

But in this case, the fact that Thicke sued Gaye's estate first tells me he knew exactly what he was doing.
Old 10-31-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ice Ice Baby 2013
Old 10-31-13, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What does this mean for Thicke's upcoming single, "I Heard It Via A Plant On Which Grapes Grow"?
Old 01-22-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Marvin Gaye's family settles lawsuit with Robin Thicke over 'Blurred Lines'
Posted: Jan 19, 2014 1:13 PM PST

Marvin Gaye's children have settled claims against a music company owned by Sony over Robin Thicke's Grammy-nominated hit song "Blurred Lines."

The Gayes had accused EMI of not pursuing a copyright infringement case against Thicke because "Blurred Lines" has similarities to Gaye's "Got to Give It Up."

A Los Angeles judge on Tuesday granted Nona Marvisa Gaye and Frankie Christian Gaye's dismissal of their lawsuit against EMI, which is owned by Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Documents say the Gayes and Sony have an agreement and claims against Sony can't be brought again. A representative for the Gaye family said the terms of the settlement were confidential.

Dueling lawsuits between the Gaye family and Thicke remain active.

Thicke and his collaborators T.I. and Pharrell Williams asked a federal judge in August to rule they didn't copy "Got to Give It Up" for "Blurred Lines," which is nominated for record of the year and other awards at the Jan. 26 Grammy Awards. Their song has sold 6.6 million tracks and was last year's biggest hit. It spent 12 weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Gaye's children accused the performers in October of copying elements of his music for "Blurred Lines." Their lawsuit sought to block Thicke from using elements of their father's music in other songs and claimed Thicke improperly used Gaye's "After the Dance" for his No. 1 R&B hit "Love After War."

Representatives for Sony and Thicke didn't immediately reply to emails seeking comment on Tuesday. A representative for Gaye's children said in a statement they hope "the infringement claims will be resolved swiftly and in an appropriate manner."

Marvin Gaye, whose other hit songs include "Sexual Healing" and "Let's Get It On," was shot dead by his father in 1984. The family's statement said they plan on celebrating the late singer's 75th birthday this year.
Old 01-28-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thicke and his partners were 100% right to sue Gaye's family. Emulating the style of another artist isn't plagiarism, and he totally DID give credit to Gaye for being the primary inspiration for this song. I listened to both songs pretty closely and while I'd agree that Got To Give It Up is a much much better song, Blurred Lines is not the same song, nor does it sound sampled from Gaye's song at all. Granted the instrumentation sounds similar but the beat and melody and chords are totally different. It's a different song.

Then you have these talentless parasites, which unfortunately plagues the families of most great artists, running around calling Thicke a plagiarists. That shit's slander and it's defamation and while I don't like frivolous lawsuits, it's fair game to say they need to cut that nonsense out. Marvin Gaye was a great artist, but his family are publicity-seeking dummies. Hell, it was his own father who murdered him so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that whacked-out family has to say when it has no basis in reality. Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sins of the father, eh? You realize that Marvin Gaye was also part of that same family, right?

Gaye had more talent in one fingernail than Thicke has in his entire body. If Thicke did plagiarize (and it sounds like he did to me, but that's for a judge to decide), then he should pay up, and be forced to buy a copy of "What's Going On" for every person who ever hears "Blurred Lines".
Old 01-28-14, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
Thicke and his partners were 100% right to sue Gaye's family. Emulating the style of another artist isn't plagiarism, and he totally DID give credit to Gaye for being the primary inspiration for this song. I listened to both songs pretty closely and while I'd agree that Got To Give It Up is a much much better song, Blurred Lines is not the same song, nor does it sound sampled from Gaye's song at all. Granted the instrumentation sounds similar but the beat and melody and chords are totally different. It's a different song.

Then you have these talentless parasites, which unfortunately plagues the families of most great artists, running around calling Thicke a plagiarists. That shit's slander and it's defamation and while I don't like frivolous lawsuits, it's fair game to say they need to cut that nonsense out. Marvin Gaye was a great artist, but his family are publicity-seeking dummies. Hell, it was his own father who murdered him so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that whacked-out family has to say when it has no basis in reality. Just my opinion.
We're so thankful you agree that it is a much better song. Thicke really didn't give credit to Gaye. He and Pharrell have been constantly denying that they sampled the song so to me that is not giving credit. And as Supermallet said Gaye is part of the family so stating they are talentless really doesn't matter at this point. So every family of a deceased entertainer should hold back on suing because they don't have any talent or aren't as talented? Um no.
And pointing out that his father murdered him again has nothing to do with this lawsuit. You are bringing a lot of irrelevant points into this situation. The lawsuit is about the song not about Gaye's history or Gaye's 'talentless' family members. Give me a fucking break with this bullshit you came up with.
Old 01-29-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
We're so thankful you agree that it is a much better song. Thicke really didn't give credit to Gaye. He and Pharrell have been constantly denying that they sampled the song so to me that is not giving credit. And as Supermallet said Gaye is part of the family so stating they are talentless really doesn't matter at this point. So every family of a deceased entertainer should hold back on suing because they don't have any talent or aren't as talented? Um no.
And pointing out that his father murdered him again has nothing to do with this lawsuit. You are bringing a lot of irrelevant points into this situation. The lawsuit is about the song not about Gaye's history or Gaye's 'talentless' family members. Give me a fucking break with this bullshit you came up with.
The only bullshit in this matter is coming from Gaye's family. Thicke absolutely credited Marvin Gaye for inspiring the sound of this song and a lot of his other songs as well. I heard him saying as much on Howard Stern's show last summer. Has he "admitted" to sampling Got To Give It Up? Of course not, because he didn't. If he had, EMI would've sued the shit out of him and rightfully so. Gaye's family was actually pestering EMI to sue, but there were no grounds so EMI wouldn't, yet they continued to publicly slander an artist who was doing more to keep Marvin Gaye's music in the spotlight than they ever could, so he sued them and they had to settle because they were dead wrong. Case fuckin' closed.

I don't even like Robin Thicke's music (though I do like Blurred Lines, probably because he successfully mimicked Gaye's style, which is different from plagiarism), and I LOVE Marvin Gaye's work, but he's only had nice things to say about Marvin Gaye and that dopey family is just looking for a payday because they can't make anything for themselves and there's only so much you can milk from legacy recordings.

What are we gonna take Woody Allen to court for his bits where he mimics Ingmar Bergman? Is the family of Robert Altman gonna sue Paul Thomas Anderson for being inspired by his style? There's even less similarity between Blurred Lines and Got to Give It Up than there is between Madonna's Express Yourself and Lady Gaga's Born This Way and Madonna knew enough not to go around accusing Gaga of a crime in public. Artists are inspired by each other's styles all the time, but plagiarism is a very specific thing. Puh-LEEZE.

Last edited by lamphorn; 01-29-14 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 10:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

If you could successfully sue for simply having a similar sound, the entire music industry would shut down.
Old 01-29-14, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
If you could successfully sue for simply having a similar sound, the entire music industry would shut down.
Not really. There's a thing called clearance where you contact the artist you sample and get clearance from the artist or whoever owns the rights to that song to use that song for your song. And artist that don't do this get sued and artists that don't get clearance don't use that song.
Old 01-29-14, 10:47 AM
Banned

The only bullshit in this matter is coming from Gaye's family. Thicke absolutely credited Marvin Gaye for inspiring the sound of this song and a lot of his other songs as well. I heard him saying as much on Howard Stern's show last summer. Has he "admitted" to sampling Got To Give It Up? Of course not, because he didn't. If he had, EMI would've sued the shit out of him and rightfully so. Gaye's family was actually pestering EMI to sue, but there were no grounds so EMI wouldn't, yet they continued to publicly slander an artist who was doing more to keep Marvin Gaye's music in the spotlight than they ever could, so he sued them and they had to settle because they were dead wrong. Case fuckin' closed.

I don't even like Robin Thicke's music (though I do like Blurred Lines, probably because he successfully mimicked Gaye's style, which is different from plagiarism), and I LOVE Marvin Gaye's work, but he's only had nice things to say about Marvin Gaye and that dopey family is just looking for a payday because they can't make anything for themselves and there's only so much you can milk from legacy recordings.

What are we gonna take Woody Allen to court for his bits where he mimics Ingmar Bergman? Is the family of Robert Altman gonna sue Paul Thomas Anderson for being inspired by his style? There's even less similarity between Blurred Lines and Got to Give It Up than there is between Madonna's Express Yourself and Lady Gaga's Born This Way and Madonna knew enough not to go around accusing Gaga of a crime in public. Artists are inspired by each other's styles all the time, but plagiarism is a very specific thing. Puh-LEEZE.
Saying a song inspired you is not giving credit. Giving credit would be when you look at the album notes and it says that song the artist is using is being sampled on this album. Saying it and actually doing it are two different things. Thicke ripped off the song, knew he did and only started admitting it after getting called out for it. He definitely didn't give credit before that.
Old 01-29-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And getting Paula Patton to marry him is even worse. This song is annoying.
Old 01-29-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

To be clear, an artist doesn't have to sample a song in order for it to be plagiarism. George Harrison was sued for plagiarizing "He's So Fine" on his song "My Sweet Lord", and that was years before sampling even existed.
Old 01-29-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty funny to hear Jurassic 5 complain about having to clear samples "nowadays" in their song "W.O.E. is Me."
Old 01-29-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bootsy sounds so confident that RT sampled Gaye vs. just ripping off the style of the song. If he actually sampled something and did not give credit, he would lose. But he didn't. Nor did EMI think he ripped off enough to make it sue-worthy. So...
Old 01-29-14, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Bootsy sounds so confident that RT sampled Gaye vs. just ripping off the style of the song. If he actually sampled something and did not give credit, he would lose. But he didn't. Nor did EMI think he ripped off enough to make it sue-worthy. So...
First I'm always confident baby. Second I just can't stand guys like Thicke, who I actually liked before this record/album, just blatantly ripping off someone in this case a legend and not owning up to it. 'Nah man they sound the same but they're different man'. Just own up to it and move on. No one is going to think less of him. He's paying homage to a great artist. Wonderful he wouldn't be the first or last. People liked the song anyway but to keep it going like this when everyone knows you ripped it off is ridiculous. It just comes off like Arod or something 'I used steroids but I'm going to try to get off on a technicality'
Old 01-29-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How close can a musician get to having a similar sounding song before it crosses the line into plagiarism?

I know Lady Gaga's Born This Way sounded like Madonna's Express Yourself. People say that Katy Perry's E.T. had a similar sounding beat to Tatu's All The Things She Said.
Old 01-30-14, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First I'm always confident baby. Second I just can't stand guys like Thicke, who I actually liked before this record/album, just blatantly ripping off someone in this case a legend and not owning up to it. 'Nah man they sound the same but they're different man'. Just own up to it and move on. No one is going to think less of him. He's paying homage to a great artist. Wonderful he wouldn't be the first or last. People liked the song anyway but to keep it going like this when everyone knows you ripped it off is ridiculous. It just comes off like Arod or something 'I used steroids but I'm going to try to get off on a technicality'
Uh, except he didn't sample Gaye's song. I don't even think the two songs sound the same. There's a vague similarity in the mood it tries to set but they are totally different. They don't even sound like they're using the same instruments, melodies, chords, or anything else for that matter. This was a non-starter, which is why, of course, EMI didn't sue. Which is also why Gaye's family had to agree to a settlement for slandering him.

I'm no Robin Thicke fan, but at least he creates something even if it's not Mozart or Marvin Gaye, for that matter. He isn't running around suing actors for having a similar acting style to his dad to make a quick buck. Publicity-hounding barely-literate descendants of someone who was great half a century ago annoy me even more.
Old 01-30-14, 09:36 AM
Banned

Uh, except he didn't sample Gaye's song. I don't even think the two songs sound the same. There's a vague similarity in the mood it tries to set but they are totally different. They don't even sound like they're using the same instruments, melodies, chords, or anything else for that matter. This was a non-starter, which is why, of course, EMI didn't sue. Which is also why Gaye's family had to agree to a settlement for slandering him.

I'm no Robin Thicke fan, but at least he creates something even if it's not Mozart or Marvin Gaye, for that matter. He isn't running around suing actors for having a similar acting style to his dad to make a quick buck. Publicity-hounding barely-literate descendants of someone who was great half a century ago annoy me even more.
They did sample the song. Either that or they used the exact sound and recreated it. Either way they you don't have to sample a song to rip it off and that is what Thicke did and most importantly he refuses to give credit for it or give some half ass credit on Howard Stern. This is not hard to understand but for some reason you are having an extremely hard time understanding this. And yes the songs do sound the same. Get your freaking ears checked man. You sound as bad as Robin Thicke right now with these lame excuses. I'm glad that he got called out for it and maybe next time he'll think twice about doing something like this or at least give credit where it is due.

Last edited by bootsy; 01-30-14 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They did sample the song. Either that or they used the exact sound and recreated it. Either way they you don't have to sample a song to rip it off and that is what Thicke did and most importantly he refuses to give credit for it or give some half ass credit on Howard Stern. This is not hard to understand but for some reason you are having an extremely hard time understanding this. And yes the songs do sound the same. Get your freaking ears checked man. You sound as bad as Robin Thicke right now with these lame excuses. I'm glad that he got called out for it and maybe next time he'll think twice about doing something like this or at least give credit where it is due.
There's nothing to be excused. They're totally different songs. That's like saying Robert Altman should have sued P.T. Anderson for making Magnolia, which is kinda reminiscent of Short Cuts. Or Scorsese should have sued David O Russell for using DeNiro as a mobster in American Hustle (which felt a lot like a Scorsese movie, in addition). That's like saying Madonna should've sued Lady Gaga for Born This Way because it sounds like Express Yourself. Trust me, if the song was legally plagiarized the record company would've jumped all over it and the Gayes wouldn't have had to settle. The courts have spoken. You're in the wrong on this one.
Old 01-30-14, 01:38 PM
Banned

There's nothing to be excused. They're totally different songs. That's like saying Robert Altman should have sued P.T. Anderson for making Magnolia, which is kinda reminiscent of Short Cuts. Or Scorsese should have sued David O Russell for using DeNiro as a mobster in American Hustle (which felt a lot like a Scorsese movie, in addition). That's like saying Madonna should've sued Lady Gaga for Born This Way because it sounds like Express Yourself. Trust me, if the song was legally plagiarized the record company would've jumped all over it and the Gayes wouldn't have had to settle. The courts have spoken. You're in the wrong on this one.
OK
Old 01-31-14, 05:18 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Either that or they used the exact sound and recreated it.
It's not the same melody/harmony. The instrumentation and arrangement is very similar, yes, but that's not against the law. Back when the wrestling organization WCW was in existence they used to make their own theme music and more oftne than not they had themes that were 'legal ripoffs'... like one sounded very close to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but they changed a few notes around to avoid copyright issues. And those tracks sounded WAAAY more like the originals than the Thicke song sounds like Gaye.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
Old 07-07-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His new album doesn't deserve its own thread, but I did want to bump this one because his new album "Paula" is such a sad, pathetic attempt to win back his estranged wife that the song titles sound like subject lines from a stalker's email correspondence :

1. You're My Fantasy
2. Get Her Back
3. Still Madly Crazy
4. Lock The Door
5. Whatever I Want
6. Living In New York City
7. Love Can Grow Back
8. Black Tar Cloud
9. Too Little Too Late
10. Tippy Toes
11. Something Bad
12. The Opposite Of Me
13. Time Of Your Life
14. Forever Love
Old 07-07-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
His new album doesn't deserve its own thread, but I did want to bump this one because his new album "Paula" is such a sad, pathetic attempt to win back his estranged wife that the song titles sound like subject lines from a stalker's email correspondence :

1. You're My Fantasy
2. Get Her Back
3. Still Madly Crazy
4. Lock The Door
5. Whatever I Want
6. Living In New York City
7. Love Can Grow Back
8. Black Tar Cloud
9. Too Little Too Late
10. Tippy Toes
11. Something Bad
12. The Opposite Of Me
13. Time Of Your Life
14. Forever Love
The "separation" and album seem like one giant publicity stunt organized by his management and record company.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.