DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/610496-robin-thicke-blurred-lines-music-video-t-i-pharrell.html)

EdTheRipper 08-10-13 04:54 PM

Re: Robin Thicke Blurred Lines Music Video with T.I. & Pharrell

I'm not a huge fan of Thicke or R&B stuff in general, but I'm fucking hooked on this song right now.

GuessWho 08-11-13 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11788523)
Its backing beats remind me of Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11788575)
It sounds to me like they took the drums from Funkytown, but redid them a bit and made it more tinny.

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 11788951)
am i the only one who can hear the bassline from "another brick in the wall" scattered throughout this song?

No stranger to sampling, this was his first single 10 years ago... it's one giant sample that may actually be considered a mashup today.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B7K7orMOHqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JZ1276 08-11-13 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11794673)
No stranger to sampling, this was his first single 10 years ago... it's one giant sample that may actually be considered a mashup today.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B7K7orMOHqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah Im familiar with that song. Heard it on The Rules of Attraction and have liked it since.

Supermallet 08-11-13 02:03 PM

Eh, it's no "Get Lucky". The Marvin Gaye song is, not surprisingly, far superior.

GuessWho 08-11-13 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 11788442)
Robin Thicke is indeed the SON of Alan Thicke from Growing Pains.

Quite a musical family... mommy & daddy wrote the themes to The Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes, with mommy singling lead on the former.

devilshalo 08-16-13 02:05 PM

Seems like I wasn't the only one to think it sounded like Marvin Gaye's hit....

Originally Posted by HollywoodReporter
Robin Thicke Sues to Protect 'Blurred Lines' from Marvin Gaye's Family (Exclusive)
6:13 PM PDT 8/15/2013 by Eriq Gardner
In order to shield "Blurred Lines," the hottest hit of the summer, Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris Jr. are going to court.

A lawsuit was filed Thursday in California federal court by the trio against Marvin Gaye's family and Bridgeport Music, which owns some of Funkadelic's compositions. At issue are complaints about similarities between "Blurred Lines" and at least two songs.

According to the suit, a copy of which was obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, "Plaintiffs, who have the utmost respect for and admiration of Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic and their musical legacies, reluctantly file this action in the face of multiple adverse claims from alleged successors in interest to those artists. Defendants continue to insist that plaintiffs' massively successful composition, 'Blurred Lines,' copies 'their' compositions."

The suit claims the Gaye family is alleging that "Blurred Lines" and Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" "feel" or "sound" the same, and that the "Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre, as opposed to a specific work."

As for Funkadelic, there's said to be claimed similarity between Thicke's hit and Funakedlic's "Sexy Ways."

"But there are no similarities between plaintiffs' composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements," states the lawsuit. "Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else's composition."

A New York Times critic has noted that "Blurred Lines" is "influenced heavily" by Gaye’s “Got to Give It Up,” but the lawsuit makes the point that "being reminiscent of a 'sound' is not copyright infringement. The intent in producing 'Blurred Lines' was to evoke an era."

The Gayes and Bridgeport are said to be threatening litigation should the plaintiffs not pay a monetary settlement. Rather than wait for such a lawsuit to proceed, the plaintiffs are going to court to determine the parties' respective rights and obligations.

In seeking a judgment, Thicke, Williams and Harris Jr. are not only looking for a declaration that their song doesn't violate the defendants' rights by copying their songs, but also that the "Gayes do not have an interest in the copyright to the composition 'Got to Give It Up' sufficient to confer standing on them to pursue claims of infringement of that composition."

And then...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>No sample of <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Funkadelic&amp;src=hash">#Funkadelic</a>'s 'Sexy Ways' in <a href="https://twitter.com/robinthicke">@RobinThicke</a>'s 'Blurred Lines' - yet Armen Boladian thinks so? We support <a href="https://twitter.com/robinthicke">@RobinThicke</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Pharrell">@Pharrell</a>!</p>&mdash; George Clinton (@george_clinton) <a href="https://twitter.com/george_clinton/statuses/368210216828932096">August 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Maxflier 08-16-13 02:56 PM

He was just on Stern recently and he said that when they were getting ready to make the song he told his producer or whatever that he wanted to make a song that sounded like Marvin Gaye. At least I THINK it was Marvin Gay, I could be wrong.

JTH182 08-17-13 03:01 AM

I can't believe that's 10 years ago already. Amazing what a stylist can do for a person's looks!

devilshalo 08-17-13 08:19 AM

The difference is that Beethoven is considered public domain, but Marvin Gaye isn't. :shrug:

Hmm.. interesting how Howard brought up JT sort of copying the Blurred Lines video with the naked chicks and Thicke's response.

Originally Posted by Howard Stern Show
I always thought that emulation is the highest form of flattery.

mickey65 08-19-13 11:28 PM

What a shitty song and a disgrace to Marvin Gaye's originality...JMO

GuessWho 08-20-13 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11801544)
The difference is that Beethoven is considered public domain, but Marvin Gaye isn't. :shrug:

Wouldn't Walter Murphy have something to say about it being his Billboard #1 hit disco arrangement?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0ouMaLRth-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sonic 08-22-13 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 11804153)
What a shitty song and a disgrace to Marvin Gaye's originality...JMO

:thumbsup:

wishbone 09-25-13 12:07 PM

'Blurred Lines' banned from campus bars at five UK universities
By Alexander Smith, NBC News contributor
9/25/2013

LONDON -- Five British universities have banned Robin Thicke's hit single "Blurred Lines" from campus bars, amid claims it "excuses rape culture."

The students’ union at London's Kingston University has become latest to refuse to play the song. It had previously been removed from playlists at Edinburgh, Leeds, Derby and West Scotland universities due to its allegedly misogynistic lyrics.

“The song hugely objectifies woman and excuses rape culture,” said Hollie O’Connor, president of the University of Derby Students' Union. “It is a man suggesting that there are ‘blurred lines’ when it comes to sexual consent and that is unacceptable. We felt we needed to take a stand.”

O’Connor told NBC News that since banning the song she has received many emails of support and “not one which comes close to a complaint.”

The R&B singer-songwriter performs his three-time platinum song "Blurred Lines," which many are calling the song of the summer.

She added: "If I had 1,000 students in one of our bars and only 10 percent felt uncomfortable with the song being played then we’d have failed them."

“Blurred Lines” has reached number one in 14 countries. It is currently enjoying its 23rd week in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, where it sits at number four.

However, the song has sparked controversy, with critics questioning the meaning of lyrics such as “I hate these blurred lines,” “You're a good girl,” and “I know you want it,” the latter being repeated no less than 18 times during the 4 minute and 23 second track.

One version of the music video for "Blurred Lines" features Thicke, accompanied by the songs co-stars Pharrell and rapper T.I., dancing with three naked women.

The ban at Edinburgh University came as part of the students’ association campaign to “end rape culture ... on campus.”

The campaign says that “a significant proportion of students and the wider population hold dangerous victim-blaming views about women who experience rape and sexual violence.”

Singer Robin Thicke chats with the TODAY anchors about the success of his song "Blurred Lines," as well as some of the controversy surrounding the hit, and performs another song from his new album, "Take It Easy On Me."

Alice Smart, education officer at Leeds students’ union, said “Blurred Lines” was banned there because “the lyrics of the song conflict with our core value of equality and our commitment to having zero tolerance of sexual harassment… we have asked our resident DJs to remove the song from their playlists."

Smart said she recognizes there are plenty of other songs with offensive lyrics “but ‘Blurred Lines’ was singled out in-particular due to its commercial success and the recent negative publicity surrounding it.”

In an interview with NBC's TODAY in July, Thicke said he "had nothing but the most respect for women."

He added: “We were just trying to make a funny song and sometimes the lyrics can get misconstrued when you’re just trying to put people on the dance floor and have a good time. We had no idea it would stir that kind of controversy, we only had the best intentions."

The "Blurred Lines" video spawned a parody by law students from Auckland, New Zealand, called "Defined Lines." It replaces the naked women with men, and the original lyrics with refrains such as “every bigot shut up."
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...k-universities

http://i40.tinypic.com/dlpd3m.jpg

Dean Frederick Whitcomb:&nbsp;&nbsp;"I Paid For Dinner"! [ reading card ] "She orders a steak and a shrimp cocktail." Strobel?
Mark Strobel:&nbsp;&nbsp;Not Date Rape.
Dean Frederick Whitcomb:&nbsp;&nbsp;Ohhh.. sorry! Helpern-Strauss, would you like me to finish the question?
Ariel Helpern-Strauss:&nbsp;&nbsp;Date Rape!
Dean Frederick Whitcomb:&nbsp;&nbsp;Correct!
Mark Strobel:&nbsp;&nbsp;Come on! Surf 'n Turf?! That's like forty BUCKS, man!

The '90s are back!

Supermallet 09-25-13 07:31 PM

I agree, it does excuse and perpetuate rape culture. Pretty gross, if you ask me. Of course, I'm not into banning stuff, but I'd definitely love to be at a bar where I know I won't hear it, because aside from the shitty message, the song itself bugs the shit out of me.

DaveWadding 09-25-13 09:52 PM

Rape culture? Seriously? Have you ever listened to the song?

Oliver Clothesoff 09-28-13 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 11848538)

you're joking right?

Supermallet 09-28-13 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 11848538)

Yes, I did listen to the song. It is what you might call a primary source.

cungar 09-28-13 09:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the same people who are complaining about this song promoting rape culture, thought it was really cool when Trent Reznor sang basically the same thing (much more explicitly) 20 years ago.

beavis69 09-30-13 07:31 AM

Way to take a big issue head on by banning a song. Getting right to the core of the problem. As usual, morons solving the big issues.

Oh, song annoys the shit out of me btw, but love the suits they are wearing.

devilshalo 10-30-13 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by HollywoodReporter
'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit: Marvin Gaye Family Now Claims Robin Thicke Stole Two Songs (Exclusive)
10:56 AM PDT 10/30/2013 by Eriq Gardner

In blockbuster new legal papers, the Gayes also target music publisher EMI for "conflicts of interest" and a decision not to ruin the "golden goose" that is the year's biggest hit song.

Marvin Gaye's family is responding in a major way to Robin Thicke's lawsuit claiming that "Blurred Lines" wasn't stolen from Gaye's "Got to Give It Up."

On Wednesday, the family went nuclear with counterclaims that allege that Thicke stole the summer mega-hit and also committed copyright infringement on Gaye's "After the Dance" to create his song, "Love After War." What's more, the new legal papers obtained by The Hollywood Reporter suggest that Thicke's "Marvin Gaye fixation" extends further to more songs in the Thicke repertoire.

Perhaps even more consequential, Gaye's family also has set its sights on EMI April, the song publisher now owned by Sony/ATV that has business relationships with both sides. According to the counterclaims, EMI has breached a contract and its fiduciary duty by failing to protect Gaye's songs, attempting to intimidate the family against filing any legal action, failing to remain neutral when faced with a conflict of interest and attempting to turn public opinion against the family. The penalty for those acts, says the Gaye family, should be that EMI loses all profits on "Blurred Lines" as well as rights to administer the song catalog of Gaye, known as the "Prince of Soul."

Full story here.

Supermallet 10-30-13 04:07 PM

I hope he gets sued into oblivion.

The Antipodean 10-30-13 08:47 PM

I finally listened to this song which I've managed to avoid and Marvin Gaye's ghost should rise up from the grave and administer a beatdown to Thicke's lame ass.

Groucho 10-30-13 08:52 PM

http://i.imgur.com/cZkBWQf.jpg

Why So Blu? 10-30-13 08:59 PM

I just saw the video for the unrated version of the song. Cool track but if he sampled the Gaye song without proper credit then he's toast.

Supermallet 10-30-13 09:24 PM

I don't know if it's a direct sample, but the argument is that it's plagiarism.