Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

iTunes turns 10!

Old 05-01-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 408 Posts
Re: iTunes turns 10!

Plus active Wi-Fi connectivity ameliorates data cap issues. Other than being on-the-road/run, almost everywhere has wi-fi these days.

That said, I love streaming and am a huge proponent of Spotify, but I'd still be lost without my iPod. Even with all the awesomeness you can get on your cell phone, my iPod still holds 160GB of audio. I can't get Phil Hendrie's "All You Can Eat Negro" on Spotify yet
Old 05-01-13, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always on wifi is great, except when the signal is weak or is overwhelmed by the amount of users.
Old 05-01-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 157 yacht rock tracks on Spotify, downloaded to my Android, ready to break out in a moment's notice in case I want... no, in case I *NEED* those smooth, easy vibes, like as if I were on my way out to Catalina, sweater vest, white wine, '70s-stache, '80s-hair, government cheese, astrolabe, ohhhhhh yeah...
Old 05-01-13, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

And for that, I applaud you. Yacht Rock 4eva!
Old 05-01-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
As more and more service providers cap data, streaming seems like more of a dubious long term proposition. Further, you can't always be assured that you'll have a good enough data connection to stream from a mobile device. Streaming is great, but I still want a local backup that I can access without a data connection.
Then there's also the matter of sound quality.

How many people stream while their device is connected in a car? That's my primary listening environment since I drive 40 minutes each way to work every day. I rip my CD's at 320 though the 256 official files from iTunes or Amazon MP3 usually sound fine in the car via the direct iPod connection.

I don't know what resolution streaming is done at, but if it's anything under 256, that's another reason I'd never use it, aside from not having a desire to have to have a constant network connection, cellular, or Wi-Fi, to hear what I want to hear.
Old 05-01-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 242 Likes on 173 Posts

There's no way it would let me store as much as I can fit on a 160 GB iPod classic.
Even that's not big enough for me. Until there's a 500gb I'll stick with cds, or they could drop the price and I get one for each genre.
Old 05-01-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stream in my car often. I'm at the $10/month Spotify plan (SO worth it) which allows you to stream Premium quality downloads. More often that not, I use the General quality (in the car, I can't tell the difference between the two) to not eat up so much bandwidth and hose my battery.

I've never had a problem with the sound. And I'm usually quite finicky about such matters. I got 157 songs, ALL of them featuring Michael McDonald is some capacity, and dammit I need to here his lack of enunciating vocals like he was sitting next to me, with a spittoon.
Old 05-01-13, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by rw2516
Even that's not big enough for me. Until there's a 500gb I'll stick with cds, or they could drop the price and I get one for each genre.
I have about 500 GB of music myself, but I don't necessarily need all of that at my fingertips at all times. 160 GB is fine for the music I listen to most frequently, and I reserve some of that space for music I'm trying out or haven't listened to in a long time.

But even if I wanted all of my music with me all at once, three 160 GB iPods are way easier to handle than the ungodly amount of CDs I would need for all of that.
Old 05-02-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 242 Likes on 173 Posts

I have about 500 GB of music myself, but I don't necessarily need all of that at my fingertips at all times. 160 GB is fine for the music I listen to most frequently, and I reserve some of that space for music I'm trying out or haven't listened to in a long time.

But even if I wanted all of my music with me all at once, three 160 GB iPods are way easier to handle than the ungodly amount of CDs I would need for all of that.
The one thing keeping me from getting a 160GB Classic is I can't decide exactly what to use it for. What to put on and what to leave off and how I want to organize it. The only thing I've been able to decide on is leaving off live albums, movie scores and prog/concept album stuff. The albums you want to sit back and listen beginning to end.
It's the shuffle I'm intersted in and look at an ipod as a portablr radio with a christmas channel, country channel, rockabilly channel, etc.
Old 08-16-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Fuck. Yeah.

I upgraded to 11, and had to downgrade. I have used and loved iTunes for a long time, but the features they took out of 11 were inexplicable and unwarranted. Glad I was able to revert, and I'll never upgrade it now.
I held out as long as I could, but unfortunately I think I'm going to have to "upgrade" to 11. For a month or two now I've been getting audio glitches in my podcasts, sometimes making them stop playing all of the sudden. (It's annoying to have to keep on checking how much time has progressed just in case this happens.) The glitches appear when I listen in iTunes, not just on my iPod Classic. I really don't know why it's happening, but I primarily listen to podcasts these days and fixing this is my priority. I figure the latest iTunes could do that. Hopefully.

(I was also getting errors when I plugged my iPod in, saying something to the effect of "this device could transfer faster if plugged into a USB 2.0 port" even though all of my USB ports are 2.0 and I've never gotten that error with my thumbdrive, external HD, TomTom, etc. I tried an older iPod cable I had and it largely got rid of the problem, but it still occurs every now and then.)

Even if it doesn't fix my bugs, a known issue in 10 is that it doesn't remember login info for podcasts that require it even if you tell it to and I recently got a premium subscription to Never Not Funny. Every morning and night when I refresh my feeds I'm prompted to login when it hits that podcast. If I don't get to it quickly enough, it cancels the downloads I have in progress.

The decision to ditch iTunes 10 for 11 has been agonizing. Really.

Last edited by DJLinus; 08-16-13 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't have gotten out of the Apple ecosystem fast enough. Being locked into iTunes was a nightmare...