Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel -- "Turn The Lights Back On" -- first single in 17 years

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 11:51 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Billy Joel will emerge from a 17-year recording hiatus February 1 with the release of “Turn The Lights Back On.” According to a press release, the song is a “classic Billy Joel-style tune, embodying the hallmarks of his signature sound and ushering in the next chapter of his story. In the lyrics, he asks, ‘Did I wait too long… to turn the lights back on?'”

“Turn The Lights Back” was produced by Freddy Wexler, who has worked with everyone from Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber to Kanye West, Blackpink, P!nk, Lil Wayne, Selena Gomez, and Celine Dion. It was written by Wexler, Arthur Bacon, Wayne Hector, and Joel.

Joel first hinted that new material might be coming late last year during a show at Madison Square Garden. “I have good news and bad news,” he said. “I’ll give you the bad news first. We don’t have anything new to play for you. The good news is you don’t have to sit through something you have no idea what it is. Although, we got a little something we’re working on you might hear sometime.” (A clip of this moment became the first post on Joel’s official TikTok account.)

There hasn’t been a Billy Joel album of any sort since 2001’s classical piano release Fantasies & Delusions where British-Korean pianist Richard Hyung-ki Joo performed instrumental works written by Joel. His last pop record was 1993’s River of Dreams. He’s toured heavily since then, but his only new singles were the twin 2007 releases “All My Life” and “Christmas in Fallujah.” The former song was a love ballad to then-wife Katie Lee, while the latter was a rock song featuring Cass Dillon on lead vocals. A live version with Joel on vocals was released in 2008.

In a 2019 interview with Rolling Stone, Joel talked about his decision to stop releasing new songs. “I still write music,” he said. “I just don’t record it, and they’re not in song form. It’s another kind of music altogether. It’s purely for my own edification. I don’t feel compelled to record it. I don’t feel compelled to make myself be relevant. Like I said, I lived the rock & roll life, and I’m not writing that anymore.”

He continued: “I have a lot of music that no one’s ever heard and no one may ever hear if I don’t decide to do something with it. It’s really about the creative process that’s important to me, not about having records on the charts or selling a lot of recordings. I’m learning all the time, and you never stop learning. That’s what’s good about the writing process. You always learn something new whenever you create.”

Joel’s next show is a headlining gig January 24 at the Tokyo Dome in Japan. He’s playing a series of One Night Only shows with Sting at U.S. stadiums throughout the year. And on July 25, he’ll wrap up his monthly Madison Square Garden residency after a decade-long run.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...on-1234950926/
Old 01-22-24, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Re: Billy Joel -- "Turn The Lights Back On" -- first single in 17 years

Wow. I hope this is actually the lead single from a new album. That would be amazing. It's been SO long, and the guy is still working and playing all the time. I still remember the first time I listened to my brand-new CD of River of Dreams and 'Famous Last Words' where he sings "These are the last words I have to say/ Until another age goes by'. I remember wondering how long was he thinking about taking off. Never thought it would be THIRTY YEARS!

I was pretty disappointed with 'All My Life', which was such a bummer after waiting all those years for anything. I haven't revisited that track in years.
Honestly, I never even heard of Christmas in Fallujah, though it doesn't sound like I was missing much there.
Old 01-22-24, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

My 19-year-old son said one of his wishes was to see Billy Joel before he died or retired so I bit the bullet and bought us tickets to the Billy Joel/Sting concert in Tampa at the end of February for his xmas present.

This is great timing!
The following users liked this post:
tasha99 (02-12-24)
Old 01-29-24, 02:53 PM

He's really putting together quite a push this year. He'll be performing at the Grammys on Sunday.
His Tour in 2024 is a bunch of football and baseball stadiums, all One Night Only appearances and no arenas besides his final monthly shows at MSG.

I just got a pair of fabulous Row 27 front section seats for Vegas where he'll be co-headlining with Sting. Those are two of my 4 favorite contemporary artists, so for me this was a no-brainer, though I've seen both guys at least 8 times and Billy probably more than 10. He has several dates with Sting, a couple more with Stevie Nicks, one with Rod Stewart, one with Chris Isaak opening (not co-headlining), and a few dates solo. He's looking to sell a lot of concert tickets this year.
Spiderbite, please let me know how the show was, especially the run times of each artist and any together appearance (that's what he did with Sir Elton, so I assume he'd do something similar here). My show isn't until November.
Spiderbite (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 03:25 PM

I have a 2nd row rear stage ticket for the final residency show at MSG. The resale on those is pretty wild. It's not like it's the last show ever.
Old 01-29-24, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’ve gained more appreciation for Billy Joel over the past couple years or so. I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan but he’s definitely a good artist and has some great songs.
Old 01-29-24, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I took a gander at Cleveland, and even upper deck seats are $300 before fees, crazy. I'm not fond of stadium concerts anyway, so I'll be skipping this one at these prices. I've had the pleasure to see him several times over the years, glad we are getting some new music.
Old 01-29-24, 03:57 PM

Really? There are lots of cheap seats for Allegiant stadium, Upper levels starting at $151 before fees
My front section floor seats were $375 before fees. With fees and taxes they came to about $1000 for 2.
Old 01-29-24, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I took a gander at Cleveland, and even upper deck seats are $300 before fees, crazy. I'm not fond of stadium concerts anyway, so I'll be skipping this one at these prices. I've had the pleasure to see him several times over the years, glad we are getting some new music.
There are plenty of the side uppers in the 500s for $140+fees.
The Cow (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 04:18 PM

Billy Joel and Sting is one thing. Billy Joel and Rod Stewart I wouldn't bother with either.
Old 01-29-24, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
There are plenty of the side uppers in the 500s for $140+fees.
Yep, you are right, I was mistakenly looking at the second level. Still insane to me for seats where you are watching on the screen.

$1000 for 2 seats in 20 rows back on the floor is crazy to me as well. I had 11th row center in 2021 at Great American ball park and we had 4 seats for around $800 total. Yeah, I get that Sting or Stewart is with him (and they will probably have a little bit more of a stage show than Joel I would think), but that's not worth it to me. Not judging others. Maybe if I had never seen them and it was a "last chance" kind of thing, but I doubt it, not for a stadium show.
Old 01-30-24, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yep, you are right, I was mistakenly looking at the second level. Still insane to me for seats where you are watching on the screen.

$1000 for 2 seats in 20 rows back on the floor is crazy to me as well. I had 11th row center in 2021 at Great American ball park and we had 4 seats for around $800 total. Yeah, I get that Sting or Stewart is with him (and they will probably have a little bit more of a stage show than Joel I would think), but that's not worth it to me. Not judging others. Maybe if I had never seen them and it was a "last chance" kind of thing, but I doubt it, not for a stadium show.
You'll probably be able to find some decent seats for cheap the week/days leading up to the show on resale. There are always so many tickets being dumped for stadium shows.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
[email protected] (01-30-24), The Cow (01-30-24)
Old 02-01-24, 06:56 AM

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
GuessWho (02-01-24), The Cow (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24, 10:24 AM

Wow, That is considerably better than I was expecting. His vocals are still very strong, which isn't a big surprise -- I saw him live just 2 years ago, but it's always different on a studio vocal recording. The arrangement is sparse and kind of a throwback, more like "She's Always a Woman to Me" than his The Bridge/Storm Front/River of Dreams stuff. He didn't really have a true piano solo on any of those records (besides a tiny one in "I GoTo Extremes"). Not gonna lie, I teared up a little. I've been waiting for a good new song from him for 30 years. Finally got one!
Old 02-02-24, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 422 Likes on 291 Posts

Same here... I heard it for the first time on SXM Classic Vinyl last night. Thought it was an older song but realized it was his new one. Going to have to setup a Billy Joel playlist on my phone now... haven't really listened to him in a long time.
Old 02-02-24, 11:38 AM

What's interesting is that this song was written by Freddy Wexler, Arthur Bacon, Wayne Hector and Joel. He never used collaborators before. In his entire discography, his only previous shared songwriting credit is this one song
Spoiler:
Code of Silence, co-written with Cindi Lauper

Old 02-05-24, 09:11 AM

For those who missed it during the Grammys last night, here's the introduction where the song's co-writer explains how he coaxed Billy to write it, followed by Billy's first live performance of "Turn The Lights Back On".
Old 02-06-24, 12:56 AM

Not an actual confirmation of a new album, but much closer to a confirmation than a denial.
Old 02-06-24, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

The two songs performed at Grammys:

Turn out the light
Don't try to save me
Did I wait too long
To turn the lights back on?
​​​​​​​

Old 02-06-24, 12:21 PM

^ But not in that order.
Old 02-12-24, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

CBS is going to air Billy's 100th MSG concert on April 14.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...bs-1235821721/
Old 02-12-24, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, a new album would be amazing.
Old 02-12-24, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
CBS is going to air Billy's 100th MSG concert on April 14.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...bs-1235821721/
Wonderful. I saw show # 74 or something like that. It's a great set and an amazing venue. Looking forward to watching this show, on Paramount Plus. without commercials.
Old 02-16-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 422 Likes on 291 Posts

Great video... they used AI to show him playing at various stages of his career. Really well done.

PEOPLE can exclusively reveal the legendary performer's music video for "Turn the Lights Back On." The video serves as his first in decades and finds the musician, 74, playing the track through different decades of his life with the help of groundbreaking technology from the artificial intelligence startup Deep Voodoo.

Directed by Warren Fu and Freddy Wexler, the video begins with a view of Joel flipping a notebook page displaying the lyrics for his song "Famous Last Words."

Seeing a new black page, he starts playing the piano to the tune of "Turn the Lights Back On." Once he begins singing, the video cuts to an older view of Joel.
https://people.com/billy-joel-turn-t...lusive-8583952
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathead:
Michael Corvin (02-17-24), Toby Dramit (02-19-24)
Old 02-16-24, 02:25 PM

That video is cool AF. Yes it's a little derivative of that new Beatles video, but it's still a treat for those of us who miss Billy's hair almost as much as he does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.