Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 07-25-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I have the Zerostat gun as well. It absolutely works as long as you use it correctly. The method I use is as follows:
  • Point the gun at a point near the edge of the record about 8 to 12 inches above it. Squeeze the trigger slowly and then release the trigger slowly. If you hear it click, you went too fast.
  • Repeat over two more equidistant points along the edge of the record (the three points would form the corners of an equilateral triangle).
  • Then point the gun over the center of the record, squeeze the trigger slowly, but move the gun off the record and point toward the ground before releasing the trigger slowly.
This assuredly removes static build-up on the record.

Old 07-25-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

^Yes. That's how I do it, too. Seems to work well, to me.
Old 07-26-19, 10:01 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting. I assume those steps are repeated on both sides for a total of 8 trigger pulls per record?
Old 07-26-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Anyone ever use these?

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Record-Cleaner-Anti-Static/dp/B071Z2GZ5N/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=zerostat+gun&qid=1564156846&s=gateway&sr=8-6 https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Buddy-Record-Cleaner-Anti-Static/dp/B071Z2GZ5N/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=zerostat+gun&qid=1564156846&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Old 07-26-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Interesting. I assume those steps are repeated on both sides for a total of 8 trigger pulls per record?
Yes, that is what I do.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've never seen that, but two things concern me... If it picks up dirt, it must be either sticky, or statically charged. Static could be dealt with the Zerostat gun. If it's sticky, I would be concerned about residue. Reading more, it does say it's a 'sticking effect' with no adhesive, so it must be static. As it looks like plastic, that would make sense.

I also don't like the idea of putting something on the surface of my LP that could potentially scratch it, assuming it's hard plastic.
Old 07-27-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Yeah, I'd be kind of wary of using that as well for the same reasons.

My Onzow ZeroDust arrived yesterday and it's pretty neat. Very easy to use, and no way you can damage the stylus with it. Recommended.
Old 07-27-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm probably gonna get that Onzow ZeroDust this week.
Old 07-28-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I have the Onzow Zerodust also and it's great. Definitely grabs all the gunk off of the stylus and is very safe to use. I have used the DIY Magic Eraser method in the past, but it has potential to damage the stylus I don't think it was as effective as the Zerodust is.
Old 07-29-19, 07:33 AM

Another Zerodust fan here as well. Switched from the Magic Eraser a couple months back and am glad I did.
Old 07-30-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Hey, what are you guys using to clean your records (wet or dry)? I've been using a Spin Clean, and it's a bit of a PITA and I'm not amazed by the results, so I'm curious about what the rest of you folks use.

For my stylus, I just ordered the Onzow ZeroDust, looking forward to trying it out.
I use a Spin clean, fill it up with "distilled water": and a capfull of the spin cleaner solution, then i let air dry and wipe down with an antistatic cloth, i then place the record in a new sleeve most of the time, the mofi ones from amazon are about $22 for a 50 pack, and they are first rate.

I have cleaned well over a thousand records like this so far.... I've become a bit obsessed with vinyl in the past 2.5 years...
Old 07-30-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Are you SOBs gonna make me go out and buy that Zerodust thingy?

(actually, I have a record swap to go to this weekend, so I'll probably save my money for that. But next paycheck.....?)
Old 07-30-19, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Are you SOBs gonna make me go out and buy that Zerodust thingy?
It is worth every penny.
Old 07-30-19, 07:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yeah, the Zerodust is a no-brainer.
Old 07-30-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when I was a dumb teenager and I would use my fingers to "clean" my stylus. Gah, what an idiot!
Old 07-31-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

I remember when I was a dumb teenager and I would use my fingers to "clean" my stylus. Gah, what an idiot!
Or think nothing of the big ball of lint picked up by the needle after playing a record, and just pulling it off with my fingers.
Old 07-31-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for the record (pun sort of intended), I hate each and every one of you*. My Zerodust will arrive later today.

* - opinion may change after actually using the Zerodust.
Old 07-31-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Or think nothing of the big ball of lint picked up by the needle after playing a record, and just pulling it off with my fingers.
Oh yeah, I did that plenty of times too. Ugh!

Just for the record (pun sort of intended), I hate each and every one of you*. My Zerodust will arrive later today.

* - opinion may change after actually using the Zerodust.
You'll thank us!
Old 08-02-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I had a last minute change of heart and ended up getting the Momila version of the ZeroDust for $16.95 earlier this week (it has since gone up to $19.95), but this thing is fantastic. I was surprised to see that my needle had very minimal dust, but the Momila did its job for half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBCMYYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBCMYYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-05-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my Zerodust last week. And it's....ok. I wasn't blown away by it, I can barely see any gunk on it after using it, and I play a LOT of used records. I'm not sure it's doing an exponentially better cleaning job than a Magic Eraser. Plus, I gotta mount something to the bottom of it; it sits too low for me to dip into it, if I put it on the platter itself it sits too high. I wanna use the tonearm lifter to dip into it, and right now I have to do it manually which increases the possibility of introducing some side-to-side motion.

Went to the record swap on Saturday. Won't list everything I got, but the highlight was a 70s era pressing (I don't think it was the FIRST pressing) of Queen's A Night at the Opera for $10. The cover was totally thrashed (hence the price), but the vinyl itself was remarkably clean. Sounds real nice. Also a mint copy of the La Bamba soundtrack, which had been on my radar since I saw Los Lobos in December. I was dead-set on not having to go online to Discogs, Ebay, or Reverb LP to find what should be an easy title to pick up. And as always happens, when I stopped by one of my favorite local shops afterwards, one I've been to at least half a dozen times since December, NOW they had a copy. D'oh.

One thing I noticed at the swap is that original Bowie records seem to be appearing. I went to one right after he died, and the only records available were a couple of scratched-to-hell copies of Young Americans and Pinups. By the time I decided to pull the trigger on them anyway, someone else had bought them. But now there were several original copies of Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, and other records available. Almost got an original pressing of Aladdin Sane, but it was a little pricey and I go to these things with a strict budget limit. Usually.
Old 08-05-19, 11:07 AM

Paff - for the Zerodust mount...I actually cut out a chunk of Magic Eraser and adhered it to the bottom of the Zerodust for that exact purpose. That way, I can flip it to use the other side if needed. The irony.

Funny regarding the record swap how albums appear to show up in cycles. I too prefer to buy local when I can - at quarterly record shows or my lrs, before resorting to discogs or ebay.

Regarding Los Lobos - I recently picked up their first 2 albums on the Slash label for a few bucks. Slash released some awesome stuff back in the 80s. LL is good stuff!
Old 08-05-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thanks, I'll try the Zerodust/Magic Eraser marriage.

I like buying in person to give the local shop the cash, like you say, but also for the more selfish reason of digging through tons of crap to find that one gem you've been looking for for six months. There's something cathartic about it. My only online purchases in the last year have been that sealed Michael Guthrie record I mentioned a few posts up, the second album from 4 Out of 5 Doctors (gave up hope of finding it locally...meaning I'll see it in a store in the next week or two), and Claws, a compilation of 80s Boston indie bands I'm highly unlikely to find in a West Coast record store.
Old 08-06-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other records I picked up from the swap, other than the aforementioned Queen and Los Lobos:

Buzzcocks - Live at the Roxy '77
Pretty raw stuff from the arguable inventors of pop-punk, so a lot more punk than pop. Not sure if I'd be a fan from listening to this first, but it's good to hear the origins of their sound

20/20 - Sex Trap
70s/80s power pop. I have their first two records, and honestly thought that was all they ever produced. This was a bit of a surprise just to see it existed. And it's just as good as the other records I have from them

Digney Fignus
Boston musician, most known for "The Girl With the Curious Hand" (on this record) which won a Basement Tapes contest on MTV. I like the song, but man this screams 80s

The Who - Join Together
Collection of B-sides and unreleased material. Unfortunately it's in bad shape, so a repurchase of a better copy will happen someday.

TacocaT - NVM
I like tacos, cats, and palindromes. And girls who rock.

Guadalcanal Diary - Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man
If you haven't figured out I like jangly 80s power pop yet, you haven't been reading my posts.
Old 08-09-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, what are you guys using to clean your records (wet or dry)? I've been using a Spin Clean, and it's a bit of a PITA and I'm not amazed by the results, so I'm curious about what the rest of you folks use.
I just ordered the Record Happy "Premium" LP cleaning kit from Amazon. I was planning on getting the Groovewasher, but a Google search of "Best record cleaners" turns up a few lists with the Record Happy kit at or near the top. I'll give it a review here once I try it out.
Old 08-09-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered the Record Happy "Premium" LP cleaning kit from Amazon. I was planning on getting the Groovewasher, but a Google search of "Best record cleaners" turns up a few lists with the Record Happy kit at or near the top. I'll give it a review here once I try it out.
Thanks man, I'd be happy to hear what you think of it.
Old 08-09-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So here's one of those life's little victories, vinyl-wise.

Like most of you, presumably, I have a want-list on Discogs. Kind of a bad thing, as it will throw something at you that you probably shouldn't spend your hard-earned on. Too tempting. Last week I received a notice of a copy of the Ramones' Rocket to Russia for just $15. I jumped on it, and only after finalizing payment did I see the fine print from the seller: "Does not include original sleeve". D'oh! That's the most important part, as it includes the John Holmstrom artwork for every song!

Decided I don't want to be THAT guy who cancels an order. Still nice to have a 70s pressing of Rocket to Russia anyway, as all I have is a current reissue.

Record arrives today, and sure enough, it's in a replacement sleeve. But after I take the replacement sleeve and record out, there's the original still inside the jacket! So I have my Holmstrom artwork, and a great record too!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.