Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Yeah, I just meant to say AT cartridges are nice, I do have that one tho...
Old 04-17-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
A line of 50 at noon? Sheesh! My store (which had plenty of product), had about 5 people inside the store when I went there at 9am (they had opened at 7, which I wanted to skip).
So I finally went to that store yesterday (RSD stuff was picked clean) and got the explanation: He didn't open early for RSD, he opened at his normal time of 11AM on a Saturday. I'm guessing some people hit other stores in the morning then headed over there, thus the big line at noon.
Old 04-17-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Opening at 11 on RSD? What a lazy fucker!
Old 04-17-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know! All he has is a clean, well-organized store with constant new stock, good prices, and only records in good condition. He's doomed. Doomed, I tell you!
Old 04-21-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back to hardware talk for a bit, I got my Ortofon 2M Red yesterday. Obviously, it needs a break-in period (darn. That means I have to listen to records while it breaks in. The sacrifices I make...), and I'm not 100% sure I have the alignment right, but it's a vast improvement over the Shure M97xe. So much so that I believe I got a bum Shure, otherwise there's NO ONE who would ever say anything positive about it when you can get such massive improvement with only $20 more.

If you're looking for a decent cart at a good price, I highly recommend it. Anyway, back to listening to records.
Old 04-21-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Back to hardware talk for a bit, I got my Ortofon 2M Red yesterday. Obviously, it needs a break-in period (darn. That means I have to listen to records while it breaks in. The sacrifices I make...), and I'm not 100% sure I have the alignment right, but it's a vast improvement over the Shure M97xe. So much so that I believe I got a bum Shure, otherwise there's NO ONE who would ever say anything positive about it when you can get such massive improvement with only $20 more.

If you're looking for a decent cart at a good price, I highly recommend it. Anyway, back to listening to records.
The 2M series of carts is excellent. I've had the Blue on my Music Hall MMF-2.2 for the last couple of years and I love it.
Old 04-21-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^I am also happy with my Blue, on my Rega P1.
Old 04-21-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Good to hear these reviews. I've been thinking about upgrading to an Ortofon cart for my turntable.
Old 04-22-19, 08:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
The 2M series of carts is excellent. I've had the Blue on my Music Hall MMF-2.2 for the last couple of years and I love it.
I have the Blue on a Pro-Ject DC. I do like it quite a bit. Subtle improvement over the Red, IMO.

I have my eyes on the MMF 3.3 that comes out in a couple months and upgrading once more to the Ortofon Bronze. Have heard great things about it.
Old 04-22-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I just don't want to get caught up in an endless cycle of cart/stylus upgrades. I don't recall where, but somewhere someone was praising the 2M Red, and asking if he should change it out for a Blue, and the reply was "No, use that $189 that you'd spend on the Blue to buy more records instead". I like that philosophy.
Old 04-22-19, 10:46 AM

^ Agree, good advice. Just don't spend it on 6 new records that labels are charging $30 a piece for these days!

I was able to get the Blue at an incremental amount from the Red, so took advantage of it. Likely wouldn't have upgraded otherwise.
Old 04-22-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to upgrade from the red to the blue, at a later date, I believe it's just a stylus change.

Same thing applies from bronze to black.
Old 04-22-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
If you want to upgrade from the red to the blue, at a later date, I believe it's just a stylus change.

Same thing applies from bronze to black.
That is indeed true. I'll do that when my Red stylus wears out, so not for several years I hope.

The only reason I even upgraded from the Shure is that the right channel dropouts were getting more and more frequent, I had to take off the cart and reseat the stylus to fix it. But it was getting to a point where that wasn't always working, and I had to do it several times just to listen to a record. Or the dropout would occur mid-record. It's possible a new stylus would fix it, but I just didn't want to take the chance.
Old 04-22-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I have the Red on our U-Turn Special. Very happy.
Old 04-26-19, 10:13 AM

Question: how often do you guys clean your stylus and what method do you use?

I've been using the DIY approach with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I typically use it before playing any record.
Old 04-26-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Discwasher stylus brush that I probably don't use often enough. Maybe every 5-10 sides played.
Old 04-26-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm a Mr. Clean person myself.

This weekend I'm gonna fine tune my Ortofon a little more; got a Technics gauge, supposedly better than using protractors. We'll see. Then I'm gonna pack the inside of the turntable with modeling clay. I've heard it's a pretty good DIY mod. I'll let y'all know.
Old 04-26-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I've been kind of curious how well this type of stylus cleaner would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Onzow-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6GMY0PUJM6JA&keywords=stylus+cleaner&qid=1556312065&s=gateway&sprefix=stylus+cl%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Onzow-ZERODUST-ZeroDust-Stylus-Cleaner/dp/B00ERPWAK2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6GMY0PUJM6JA&keywords=stylus+cleaner&qid=1556312065&s=gateway&sprefix=stylus+cl%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-3
Old 04-27-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Hey, it's RSD tomorrow!

What you all getting?
I ended up with:

Motorhead “Rockaway Beach” and Motorhead double picture disc singles for “Overkill” and “Bomber.” These picture go great with my Motorhead “Heroes” RSD picture disc. Got the only or last copy of “Rockaway Beach” my store got.

The Crow soundtrack. And, good god, is this a lovely package. The white vinyl is a thing of beauty, and the etched side of the black vinyl is gorgeous, too. I’m a bit afraid to play it too much, as I’m not sure how durable the white vinyl will be in the long run.

I ended up,passing on the Green River live album and the MCR live album. The Green River album was kind of short (only seven songs) and probably not worth the price tag. It would be a no-brainer at $10-$15, but not for thirty. And the MCR live was already released on CD, and probably not justified by the price tag, anyway.

Old 04-27-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As mentioned before, I couldn't get to any participating RSD stores that day, and the ones I went to afterwards were picked clean.

But today, I found myself in Temecula CA and after a fruitless stop at Old Town Records, I headed to another place I haven't been yet, Spindles. LOTS of RSD exclusives still in stock, so I was able to get The Alternative Fleetwood Mac and Green Day Live at Woodstock '94. Then in the punk section, I found the '18 RSD-exclusive Ramones Leave Home Rough Cuts, alternative versions of songs from their sophomore record. They also have some of the live Ramones RSD records, but I still balk at buying those, considering that while they're all from the "golden" era of Ramones (I.E., the first three records), that era is wonderfully rendered live on the It's Alive release which I already have.

Still, a good day (also in the used section, I found an import single from The Beat, before they became The English Beat stateside, a Bangles record that includes interviews, and The Enigma Variations, a compilation of Enigma Records' artists which includes the unreleased "Stupid Maryann" by The Dead Milkmen)
Old 04-29-19, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
I've been kind of curious how well this type of stylus cleaner would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Onzow-ZERODUS...s%2C200&sr=8-3
Yes, I've had my eye on this as well. It looks to be pretty basic (a gel/plastic bubble) from the description and hard to justify spending $40 for it.
Old 05-13-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

https://waxworkrecords.com/products/cruising

Waxwork Records is thrilled to present CRUISING Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Score. Available for the first time, the original 1980 soundtrack release has been expanded to include the complete film music. Spanning three LP’s, Waxwork worked closely with director William Friedkin, Sony, and Universal Pictures to locate and unearth the original masters that include the original Jack Nitzsche score sessions, the Germs recording sessions, and all music recorded for the film featuring The Cripples, Barre Phillips, Mutiny, and many more. This is the long awaited and definitive CRUISING soundtrack release requested by fans of the film, punk rock, and the counter culture for decades.

CRUISING is a 1980 erotic crime thriller directed by William Friedkin (The Exorcist, Sorcerer) and starring Al Pacino and Karen Allen. It is loosely based on the novel by the same name about a serial killer targeting gay men associated with the underground leather and S&M scene in New York City. The production and shooting of CRUISING was plagued with protests and petitioning to stop the filming by gay rights activists. The movie was received poorly upon release, however, CRUISING has gone to amass a large cult-following and is now considered to be a wildly underrated and thought provoking film that was years ahead of it’s time. CRUISING and director Friedkin unapologetically explored topics that were largely considered at the time to be taboo, noncommercial, and dangerous.

Director William Friedkin’s renegade approach at documentary style filmmaking took him to the darkest corners of the underground where his research and discovery of crime, lifestyle duality, and the burgeoning gay leather scene sparked the creation of a landmark film that is a topic of intense conversation and examination to this day.

Waxwork’s CRUISING Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Score features the complete music recorded for the film pressed to 180 gram Blue, Black, and White colored vinyl, a 12”x12” booklet featuring an exclusive essay by director William Friedkin on the intense making of the film and creation of it’s music, album design and layout by Aesthetic Apparatus, triple gatefold jackets with satin coating and spot UV gloss, and all music sourced and re-mastered from the original master tapes.

CRUISING Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Score:

The Complete Soundtrack and Score Session Recordings
180 Gram Blue, Black, and White Vinyl
Exclusive Essay By William Friedkin
12”x12” Booklet
Design By Aesthetic Apparatus
Triple LP Gatefold Jackets with Spot UV Gloss
Old 05-13-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Does that vinyl come with the Cruising playset...

Old 05-13-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone use a clamp/weight on their turntable?

I was in a high-end shop over the weekend (got to see what a $14K turntable looks like....seriously that's more than my yearly mortgage), and they had clamps on their demo players. Decided to grab a $16.99 one from Amazon last night.
Old 05-17-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

HUGE ass long shot. But if anyone is still finding the Crow soundtrack in their local stores, anyone willing to hook me up? eBay flippers are fucking insane.
I've exhausted my resources

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.