Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Mikael79
What part of the country do you live in? As mentioned above, dryness in the air can really create a lot of static. I'm in Iowa, and I just finally bought a Milty Zerostat 3 to help with static. I also wet-clean my records with my Record Doctor V before playing, and the combination has taken care of almost all the static.
Nah thats what Im doing man. I wet-clean all vinyls (new with just water - used dirty ones with water and drop of dawn) AND I keep a humidifier going now. I live in Colorado with nil humidity and that why I am going this route - but damned if things dont sound worse.

Weve also dropped in temps (we were 5 degrees the other night) so I am almost thinking temps are affecting place until they "adjust"

I might go that damn Zerostat route as well - but good god, I love accessories but that is too much
Old 11-21-17, 09:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should not need a new stylus after six months unless you’re treating your player’s arm like shit and just dropping it on records. Also many stylus guards suck and can actually damage the stylus. Only use the stylus guard if you’re transporting the player/cartridge or changing carts.
Old 11-21-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I live in Colorado with nil humidity and that why I am going this route - but damned if things dont sound worse.
A few years ago, I took a work trip to Colorado in December. I woke up with a bloody nose every morning from the dryness, and my lips felt like plastic. My wife and I landed in Iowa, it was a lot colder outside, but we both stood in the cold air just to breathe in the normal air!!

I seriously couldn't live there. Beautiful as it gets, but the dry air doesn't like me.
Old 11-21-17, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
A few years ago, I took a work trip to Colorado in December. I woke up with a bloody nose every morning from the dryness, and my lips felt like plastic. My wife and I landed in Iowa, it was a lot colder outside, but we both stood in the cold air just to breathe in the normal air!!

I seriously couldn't live there. Beautiful as it gets, but the dry air doesn't like me.
Haha, I believe it! My wife gets bloody noses a lot but luckily I never have. Chapped lips all the time though. It really sucks but we love Colorado. We live in the Rocky Mountains at 7700 ft in a town of 5k. Couldn’t do it if In the cities. It’s beautiful here but they’re too crowded.

And I take care of my goods Sup. I spun some vinyl today and all was well. I don’t know wtf is going on.
Old 11-22-17, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

I figured you weren’t trashing your equipment, just making a point about how short six months is for a stylus.
Old 11-22-17, 09:13 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Nah thats what Im doing man. I wet-clean all vinyls (new with just water - used dirty ones with water and drop of dawn) AND I keep a humidifier going now. I live in Colorado with nil humidity and that why I am going this route - but damned if things dont sound worse.

Weve also dropped in temps (we were 5 degrees the other night) so I am almost thinking temps are affecting place until they "adjust"

I might go that damn Zerostat route as well - but good god, I love accessories but that is too much
The only thing I can think of is that using regular water might cause problems. I haven't wet-cleaned any of my records yet, so I have no idea, but I assumed distilled would be the only way to go. Just be sure you're not strapping nickles and dimes to the cartridge this time

On a personal level, I do kind of miss the dry air that comes with those higher elevations.
Old 11-22-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Waxwork announced their 2018 Subscription.

Details here: https://waxworkrecords.com/blogs/new...n-announcement

Included are Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), The 'Burbs, Drag Me to Hell, and Get Out, along with a bunch of tchotchkes and exclusives.

Price is $250, up $45 from last year and $55 from the year before. Wonderful.
Old 11-22-17, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
The only thing I can think of is that using regular water might cause problems. I haven't wet-cleaned any of my records yet, so I have no idea, but I assumed distilled would be the only way to go. Just be sure you're not strapping nickles and dimes to the cartridge this time

On a personal level, I do kind of miss the dry air that comes with those higher elevations.
Haha, so yea Sup, I don’t abuse my goodies..... anymore!!! Lol

I should maybe go
Distilled but than it’ll be a whole ordeal of filling a tub and this and that. I might as well buy a that spin clean. And mybmethod was an attempt to skip that and save money. But it’s been seeming so up and down. One day a record is spotless. A few days later, noisy. Ugh

I’m excited for that waxwork sub, I’m getting it.
Old 11-23-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

So U-Turn has this now:

https://uturnaudio.com/products/record-weight

That price tag is steep, though.
Old 11-23-17, 10:48 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Decent sale on amazon.de
It's a 3 for the price of 2 sale. Fairly decent selection. Even with overseas shipping I saved over 100 bucks compared to the us amazon site.
Old 11-23-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazon is currently buy one, get the second 50% off. Supposedly only good for one use but I’ve made several purchases.
Old 11-24-17, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by auto
Amazon is currently buy one, get the second 50% off. Supposedly only good for one use but I’ve made several purchases.
Is there a code I have to enter?
Old 11-24-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. Just add two records and discount is applied at checkout.
Old 11-24-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Just got the new Rhino all-analog remaster of T.Rex's Electric Warrior.

It's literally one of the best sounding vinyl records I've ever heard - no joke!

There's a few different versions of it out there, so make sure you get the one with this label on it:

Kevin Gray's the same guy who did the Kinks mono records, and we all know how those turned out, and this one's even better!
Old 11-24-17, 01:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

For fans of Thrice, they're finally re-releasing the Alchemy Index box set. Orders are open through Monday:
https://thrice-us.myshopify.com/coll...lchemy-box-set
Old 11-24-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Apparently Walmart carries a small selection of vinyl now. Stopped out a bit this afternoon for some Black Friday shopping and saw a handful of catalog titles. I was a bit surprised seeing as they’ve cut back on a lot of music and media in general.
Old 11-24-17, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Nope. Just add two records and discount is applied at checkout.
Very cool. Thanks man! I ordered just 2 things. I’ve spent wAy too much this bf lol
Old 11-25-17, 01:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

It's literally one of the best sounding vinyl records I've ever heard - no joke!

There's a few different versions of it out there, so make sure you get the one with this label on it:

Kevin Gray's the same guy who did the Kinks mono records, and we all know how those turned out, and this one's even better!
Nice. I already have two versions of this on wax but may have to add a third. One of my favorite albums.
Old 11-25-17, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by slop101

Kevin Gray is a guaranteed win. I’ve yet to hear a mastering of his that was less than excellent.
Old 11-26-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if anyone needs speakers, but the KEF ls50s have good reviews and are currently $1000 marked down from $1500. I ordered a set directly from KEF off Amazon. Will use in my home office.
Old 11-27-17, 01:22 AM

If anyone is looking to blow some cash (some have spent $400+) than Waxworks is doing a Cyber Monday sale right now. Stuff is pretty cheap (trick r treat $28 when it was $42, Evil Dead II is $19 when it was $28, etc). Pretty much their whole site is on sale. I spent WAY more than I should have. All it did was solidify that I will NOT buy shit from them next year, lol. Just wait for the sale.
Old 11-27-17, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Apparently Walmart carries a small selection of vinyl now. Stopped out a bit this afternoon for some Black Friday shopping and saw a handful of catalog titles. I was a bit surprised seeing as they’ve cut back on a lot of music and media in general.
In the music section? I ask because I went looking for vinyl in Best Buy recently and was about to leave after not finding anything in the music section. On a whim I decided to take a look in the audio equipment section and sure as shit, there they were.
Old 11-27-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The vinyl section at Best Buy (yes, in the audio equipment section) is not only pathetic, but WAY over-priced. A waste of time to even browse.
Old 11-27-17, 11:32 AM

If anyone is looking to blow some cash (some have spent $400+) than Waxworks is doing a Cyber Monday sale right now. Stuff is pretty cheap (trick r treat $28 when it was $42, Evil Dead II is $19 when it was $28, etc). Pretty much their whole site is on sale. I spent WAY more than I should have. All it did was solidify that I will NOT buy shit from them next year, lol. Just wait for the sale.
Thanks, for the heads up. Nabbed Creepshow and Trick r Treat.
Old 11-27-17, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Picked up 10 albums for $100 with this deal today..

EXTRA 25% OFF WHEN YOU SPEND $50 OR MORE

On Top Hits with Free Shipping

https://www.ebay.com/sme/get_importc...=1&_udlo&_udhi

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.