Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Not really a vinyl post but since this is sort of the catch-all thread for two channel audio I figured I’d post it here.

I recently went with my wife to buy a punching bag set from a guy off Craigslist. While we were there he mentioned he was also selling a pair of tower speakers and he’d offload them for $40. I figured for that price I could take a chance on them being crap. Got them home and inspected them and discovered that they aren’t crap at all, they’re Infinity Crescendo CS 3009s from the mid-90s. The drivers are in good shape, just need some refoaming. I set them up in my living room and moved my two channel system in there. I pulled out my Onkyo HT receiver to drive them as it was the only thing powerful enough for them. They sound excellent, with high quality ribbon tweeters and two 10” bass drivers.

Now I just need to upgrade my turntable, DAC, and probably the amp and I’ll be set.
Congrats!

I have a similar find for an old pair of DBX Soundview V's. I bid on a subwoofer for $1 on an online auction with a pickup about 30mins from my house, these were a throw in, no one wanted them my $1 bid was enough.

I got them home, threw them in my garage and they blew me away. I made room in my basement set up and they continue to astound me, apparently back in the day sometime in the 70s when these were originally bought they went for $2k-$3k, they got a bad rep from a lot of folks I think as the original company was bought out and they thought these models were overpriced.

For me, they are one of my greatest $1 finds, nothing like slapping on some old classic rock on vinyl cranking through these bad boys.

btw, I never connected the subwoofer so no idea if it's any good.
Old 10-10-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Album is excellent; I've been listening to it on Spotify. I'm hoping Mondo carries it so I can get it for a bit cheaper. Ordering direct seems... expensive. Sad I missed out on the colour version, though.
Yeah, I missed out on the color variant, too -- got the regular one via the preorder that ended at the tail end of September. It was about $30 shipped from Denmark, so no VAT for me.
Old 10-10-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Nice! Did you get it from Amazon or Newbury? They had a real cool variant, but Amazon ended up dropping to $14 and that was a sweet price. I heard its a dirty vinyl and should be cleaned first but that it was remastered and sounds great! I cant wait to hear mine.
Amazon -- Newbury's was priced higher. I lucked out and Amazon lowered it to $14 and change, so that locked me in for the lowest price.
Old 10-10-17, 12:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I missed out on the color variant, too -- got the regular one via the preorder that ended at the tail end of September. It was about $30 shipped from Denmark, so no VAT for me.
Oh right! Forgot that VAT gets taken off at the end. I'll have to order that soon.
Old 10-10-17, 12:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Congrats!

I have a similar find for an old pair of DBX Soundview V's. I bid on a subwoofer for $1 on an online auction with a pickup about 30mins from my house, these were a throw in, no one wanted them my $1 bid was enough.

I got them home, threw them in my garage and they blew me away. I made room in my basement set up and they continue to astound me, apparently back in the day sometime in the 70s when these were originally bought they went for $2k-$3k, they got a bad rep from a lot of folks I think as the original company was bought out and they thought these models were overpriced.

For me, they are one of my greatest $1 finds, nothing like slapping on some old classic rock on vinyl cranking through these bad boys.

btw, I never connected the subwoofer so no idea if it's any good.
Nice! A true “I’d buy that for a dollar!” scenario.
Old 10-10-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good shit on those Infinities, Mallet. Especially at that price.
Old 10-10-17, 03:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I just noticed Supermallet's reflection in his TV. New avatar!

Spoiler:
Old 10-13-17, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats very horror movie!! Haha

Got my Terrortron in and its fantastic! Real good release and pressed real well. I am happy! I also got ALLLLLLLLLL those other releases I ordered in. I had to buy new shelves for all that my collection has been growing. The crazy thing is these two shelves that will old 300 records combined, was cheaper than buying two soundtracks on Waxwork Records..... shit.
Old 10-17-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did not know Tim C. from Prophets of Rage and RATM started a couple of side projects -- I ordered the vinyl for:

It was only $7 shipped via Discogs.

I watched the videos and listened to the tunes and I like what heard/saw.
Old 10-20-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Here are the releases for next month's Black Friday Record Store Day.

Nothing I'm particularly interested in. Last year there were at least 5 releases I wanted (and got).
Old 10-20-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101

Nothing I'm particularly interested in. Last year there were at least 5 releases I wanted (and got).
Yeah not much for me. I will probably go for the doors release and that’s it. Maybe Neil Young.
Old 10-20-17, 02:56 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, not much. Of slight interest might be the Waylon Jennings new material and The Turtles mono.
Old 10-20-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm mildly interested in Chuck Berry and that Game of Thrones picture disc looks hot but I'd probably never listen to it. Not really enough to draw me into stores.
Old 10-20-17, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Yeah not much for me. I will probably go for the doors release and that’s it. Maybe Neil Young.
Same for me.

But what happened to their meet your maker releases? I really liked the first one.
Old 10-25-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Phenomenal vinyl!

This is the "The Fog Over Antonio Bay" edition from Amoeba.

Old 10-25-17, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Mondo has a complete* Nightmare on Elm Street set up for sale...

It looks gorgeous, but at $250 for 8LPs? I can't justify it.

*films 1 thru 7. None of that remake shit.
Old 10-25-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought it. Had to. I've been dying to get these scores on vinyl.

I'm assuming the first is two records? Mondo never said. Sometimes they're so fucking cryptic with details; as a buyer it's extremely frustrating.
Old 10-25-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

There's a PledgeMusic for Bruce Dickinson's solo albums - they have a box-set for all of them, but I just went for Chemical Wedding, which sounds great!

There's only a few of most of them left.
Old 10-26-17, 03:39 PM

Phenomenal vinyl!

This is the "The Fog Over Antonio Bay" edition from Amoeba.
I saw this at my local store for $35 and ALMOST pulled the trigger. Glad I didnt as I was able to get it online for $19! Looking forward to it! BTW, how does it sound? I have been hearing/reading that a lot of folks are getting noisy/bad pressings.

Also for you LA folks, Waxwork records is releasing the Exorcist exclusively today at Amoeba records and you can get it signed by Friedkin.
Old 10-26-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I saw this at my local store for $35 and ALMOST pulled the trigger. Glad I didnt as I was able to get it online for $19! Looking forward to it! BTW, how does it sound? I have been hearing/reading that a lot of folks are getting noisy/bad pressings.

Also for you LA folks, Waxwork records is releasing the Exorcist exclusively today at Amoeba records and you can get it signed by Friedkin.

My copy sounds great. I do have that vinyl brush I posted pics of before and I give them a surface sweeping on each side before playback. I only read one complaint on an FB users group and it was against the black LP version. I also have the sacred bones anti-god green but that one is staying sealed. I have a buddy who has the deluxe halloween version and that one is going for almost $200 on the secondary market.

Yeah, I saw that Waxworks event at Amoeba but it's hot as balls right now and I don't care to spin the Exorcist -- that's a scary score/soundtrack.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-26-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 04:19 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The Waxwork Exorcist pressing looks stellar. Then again, I pretty much already have the soundtrack in the form of Oldfield's Tubular Bells.
Old 10-27-17, 02:44 PM

There's a PledgeMusic for Bruce Dickinson's solo albums - they have a box-set for all of them, but I just went for Chemical Wedding, which sounds great!

There's only a few of most of them left.
So whats the deal with "pledgemusic"? I saw this..... I really want Chemical Wedding too, but its on Amazon for cheaper
Old 10-27-17, 02:46 PM

My copy sounds great. I do have that vinyl brush I posted pics of before and I give them a surface sweeping on each side before playback. I only read one complaint on an FB users group and it was against the black LP version. I also have the sacred bones anti-god green but that one is staying sealed. I have a buddy who has the deluxe halloween version and that one is going for almost $200 on the secondary market.

Yeah, I saw that Waxworks event at Amoeba but it's hot as balls right now and I don't care to spin the Exorcist -- that's a scary score/soundtrack.
Good God!! Thats a lot of cash. I heard from some folks their deluxe Halloween was bad, nothing on the fog variant so far. Mine will arrive....on Halloween!

I am in no rush for the exorcist but I have gotten into the bad habit of getting all WW releases...... grrrrrr
Old 10-28-17, 06:09 PM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I've spent so much on records the last two weeks.
I ordered that Nightmare on Elm St. Set, picked up the Fog today same one as Blu posted. The new release of the Golliwogs catalogue, Motorhead cover album as well as the recent reissues of their 90's albums. David Bowie Who Can I Be Now box and the Sabbath Ten Year War set.
Old 10-30-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.