Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 01-27-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Just hit a garage sale at Lunch, was able to score The White Album, Hard Day's Night and CSNY 4 Way Street.

Need to clean them up and give them a Spin over the weekend!
Old 01-27-17, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Sleeve City order of 50 pack of the 2.5s! Excited to sit on my ass, hear records and pack em up!

So I know I hate to ask again, what might be an ignorant question. By why the need for a mat (my table has the little rubber stoppers) and why need a center weight? Is it to prevent warping or just to help balance what is warped?

Again, if theres a generic website that talks accessories or basics or anything that y'all recommend, please share!
Old 01-27-17, 04:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I know the real experts will reply, but in terms of mats, we're talking about a slipmat that goes between the turntable platter and the record itself, not under the turntable, although I've seen rubber mats under turntables as well. Slipmats can be rubber, cork, felt, or other materials, even. My understanding is that they help with vibration absorption and static, mostly. My UTurn has an acrylic platter, and I've been using a felt slipmat on it. In my case, the slipmat's not required, but a weight/clamp can help (which I literally just bought, and it arrived today, so I'll try it out)

Center weights or clamps seem to serve the purpose of ensuring that the record is pressed against the surface of the mat or platter. If you have a severely warped record, not all of the surface area is touching the platter. From what others have said, a center weight won't totally flatten a warped record, but it can help, at the very least. Center weights also help reduce vibration, which can improve sound quality. If a record has a slightly large center hole, for example, and it's warped, it may slip on the mat/platter while it is spinning. The weight can help to reduce that from happening.

Or so they say.

edit: well... boo. The weight I bought is too tall, so my UTurn Orbit dust cover won't close all the way when it's on there. Guess I'll return it and look for one with a lower profile.

Last edited by Dan; 01-27-17 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-27-17, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of turntable accessories are designed to decrease vibration and increase isolation.
Old 01-28-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
I know the real experts will reply, but in terms of mats, we're talking about a slipmat that goes between the turntable platter and the record itself, not under the turntable, although I've seen rubber mats under turntables as well. Slipmats can be rubber, cork, felt, or other materials, even. My understanding is that they help with vibration absorption and static, mostly. My UTurn has an acrylic platter, and I've been using a felt slipmat on it. In my case, the slipmat's not required, but a weight/clamp can help (which I literally just bought, and it arrived today, so I'll try it out)

Center weights or clamps seem to serve the purpose of ensuring that the record is pressed against the surface of the mat or platter. If you have a severely warped record, not all of the surface area is touching the platter. From what others have said, a center weight won't totally flatten a warped record, but it can help, at the very least. Center weights also help reduce vibration, which can improve sound quality. If a record has a slightly large center hole, for example, and it's warped, it may slip on the mat/platter while it is spinning. The weight can help to reduce that from happening.

Or so they say.

edit: well... boo. The weight I bought is too tall, so my UTurn Orbit dust cover won't close all the way when it's on there. Guess I'll return it and look for one with a lower profile.
Not so fast! Most people recommend running the TT without the dust over to reduce vibrations.
Old 01-28-17, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I should clarify that those rubber nipple stopper things are on the actual turn table and resemble the kind of stoppers you would see under a pot, lab top, etc. I still have the problem of some of my albums losing the right channel. I still cant figure out why. Closest I gather is that constant play loosens the wiring to the stylus.

So I hit up an AWESOME record store today in the small mountain town of Minturn, CO. I found A LOT of stuff that I had been looking for. Downer was he just sold new stuff but he is in good with RSD folks he was saying because they had stuff I never expected to find.

Goblin - Susperia $20
Side x Side - Type O Negative/Deep Purple (I think from the first year they did sxs) $5
Side x Side - Dio/Kill Switch Engage $5
Side x Side - Devo/Flaming Lips $5
The Kinks Kinksize $12
The Kinks Sessions $12
The Doors LA Woman Singles $30 (pricey but Doors fanatic)
Hawkwind - Back on the Streets $12
Miles Davis - Blue XMas $8
The turtles - Happy Together Mono $10 (limited to 800)

I also ordered this release last night. I LOVE The Doors and its a bit pricey for what it is (7 live songs - only 1 original) but I really love the songs they're covering.
Old 01-31-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some things I've purchased over the last few months that I'm currently playing. Thought this was a bit more fun than a list.

Old 02-01-17, 02:48 AM
Suspended

Old 02-07-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Now, in the proper thread - I ordered my turntable this morning:

https://checkout.shopify.com/3392397...f1b230bd13efb8
Old 02-07-17, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

Is that link suppose to take me to a paypal checkout?
Old 02-07-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Is that link suppose to take me to a paypal checkout?

No, the item I bought is on the upper right hand corner. Since it's a custom build there's no specific link to that item since it's custom. If it were one of their other stock items then the page would be cleaner.
Old 02-07-17, 03:52 PM

No, the item I bought is on the upper right hand corner. Since it's a custom build there's no specific link to that item since it's custom. If it were one of their other stock items then the page would be cleaner.
Ahhh, well it looks awesome. Im thinking of going white when i upgrade.
Old 02-07-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing I'll need to buy next is either a cleaning system of some kind and the 45 RPM adapter that I forgot to include in my order.
Old 02-07-17, 04:03 PM
Banned by request

Noice!
Old 02-07-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Question - is this an acceptable amount of warping?

That's not my record/video, but I have a couple records that are warped very similarly, and while they doesn't knock the needle out of the groove, it's disconcerting. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-17, 05:01 PM

Sweet, enjoy!
Old 02-07-17, 11:03 PM

So I decided to order a stabilizer. I got the sleeve city stainless steel one but I am beginning to be a bit worried..... I live the idea of reducing vibrations and better sound. The other day I played a record at a lower volume and it sounded amazing. Better than when I have em louder. I'm just worried that my turntable won't handle the weight. I always wipe a record with a brush as it spins and on some occasions I have noticed the turning of the record slow down. I find it hard to believe I am applying more than a pound of pressure!
Old 02-08-17, 02:35 AM
Banned by request

I don't know what your brush manual said, but mine said to not apply any pressure beyond the natural weight of the brush on the record, perhaps you're pushing too hard?

What turntable do you have again?
Old 02-08-17, 02:57 PM

I found my old (32 year old) turntable, a Pioneer PL-560.

It was still in working order, I just finished cleaning it up and cleaned off the stylus with some air. After a little go round it started working nice.

Found an old receiver in the garage that has a phone input and some old speakers and I tested it out, sounds great. The thing is pretty nice as well, has an auto return.

Going to use this as my backup system in my basement. I scored a $1 pair of old DBX soundview V speakers at an estate sale, they are huge, but I hooked them up in my system in the basement and they sound amazing.

I ordered another pre-amp to get the turntable working down there on my old panny HT receiver, gonna be a fun listen, can't wait to hear what the records sound like on those speakers.
Old 02-08-17, 03:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

So I decided to order a stabilizer. I got the sleeve city stainless steel one but I am beginning to be a bit worried..... I live the idea of reducing vibrations and better sound. The other day I played a record at a lower volume and it sounded amazing. Better than when I have em louder. I'm just worried that my turntable won't handle the weight. I always wipe a record with a brush as it spins and on some occasions I have noticed the turning of the record slow down. I find it hard to believe I am applying more than a pound of pressure!
Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't know what your brush manual said, but mine said to not apply any pressure beyond the natural weight of the brush on the record, perhaps you're pushing too hard?
This.

Also, the weight of the stabilizer shouldn't affect the RPMs. Assuming it is a turntable that doesn't have a precise speed adjuster (a little dial, not just a 33/45 switch or whatever), it will compensate for the extra weight by pumping more power into the motor. It might take a few extra seconds to get up to speed, but it should maintain that speed. You can use the RPM app (assuming you have a smart phone) to double-check. You just put your phone on the turntable and let it spin. It'll show you the speed as it goes around.
Old 02-09-17, 10:17 AM

This is my player here. Now before any negs, I had told my wife I was wanting a record player and she surprised me with this wonderful gift. Though its not some high end player like you audiophiles may have, I love it and its a wonderful start into a great hobby.

Having said that. I've had this player since Dec '16

Old 02-09-17, 10:21 AM

The only thing I'll need to buy next is either a cleaning system of some kind and the 45 RPM adapter that I forgot to include in my order.
Yea, Ill be going after a cleaner next as well!

To follow up about my brush, I didnt think I applied that much pressure but I probably do. I am a bit of a "lug" lol And yea Dan, I got a smart phone. Just cuz I collect records doesnt mean I am that far in the stone age..... but I live in a place with no internet or cell coverage so the app wont work perhaps lol
Old 02-09-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

A Company Will Press Your Ashes into a Working Vinyl Album

For me, it might have to be Queen's The Game. Beside the clever pun of "Another One Bites The Dust", The Game was one of my first ever records.
Old 02-09-17, 12:07 PM
Banned by request

This is my player here. Now before any negs, I had told my wife I was wanting a record player and she surprised me with this wonderful gift. Though its not some high end player like you audiophiles may have, I love it and its a wonderful start into a great hobby.

Having said that. I've had this player since Dec '16

The reason I asked about your player is because I wanted to know if it was belt drive or direct drive. AFAIK one should not use a center weight with direct drive turntables. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-09-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that was covered before, but I'm not digging through buried pages and my question is a bit more specific...

I, like some of you, bought both of the Twin Peaks records from Mondo. Problem is, the jacket is so big it won't fit in a standard plastic sleeve. And with the precarious OBI strip sitting on top and the velvet-y finish to the exterior I'd like to keep these things protected.

Can anyone recommend where to buy larger sleeves that will fit these records?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.