Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 12:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Decided to pass on Gremlins, but ordered Ninja Scroll and The Boy and The Beast.
Old 11-30-16, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't even know what the "Black Album" is but you need that because it has "Days" - one of the finest Kinks songs ever.

As for mono/stereo, I was once berated by an old guy in a store when I was holding an original copy of "Something Else" - I was told that it was crap and only the mono was worth listening to. I have two stereo copies - monos are hard to find as they are only UK I believe.

Haha. I was just reading a back and forth between Andy Partridge (XTC) and Robyn Hitchcock on Twitter debating what was the greatest psych album of all time: Satanic or Piper. (Andy chose Satanic, Robyn Piper) Andy believes (and I tend to agree) that the Stones get a bad rap for that record - it's actually really good and original stuff.

That being said, I don't buy any reissues if the originals are accessible. I make exceptions - for example, I've yet to find a quiet copy of Love's Forever Changes so the reissue is welcome.
The Black Album was a compilation, which is fine and it does have some essential non-album tracks as you mentioned, but they could have included a Past Masters style comp that only included tracks not already on the main albums.

As for Satanic, I actually think it's quite overrated. It was panned as a "me too" album after Sgt. Pepper, which is a little unfair, but I think this reappraisal of it as an all time great psychedelic album is giving it too much credit. Also Andy and Robyn are both wrong, the best psychedelic album of all time is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
Old 11-30-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

As for Satanic, I actually think it's quite overrated. It was panned as a "me too" album after Sgt. Pepper, which is a little unfair, but I think this reappraisal of it as an all time great psychedelic album is giving it too much credit. Also Andy and Robyn are both wrong, the best psychedelic album of all time is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
I don't know what I'd pick as best psych album, there's so many. The first album and Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators deserve a nod. Pretty Things SF Sorrow should be up there too.

I thought Satanic is pretty universally hated but it's got to be at least in a top 10 of 60s psych albums. Some of the songs are crap but 2000 Light Years, Citadel, 2000 Man etc. are great. She's a Rainbow is a total rip of She Comes in Colours by Love but I like it. I agree Piper is way better.
Old 11-30-16, 05:31 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

The Black Album was a compilation, which is fine and it does have some essential non-album tracks as you mentioned, but they could have included a Past Masters style comp that only included tracks not already on the main albums.

Solid analysis. They essentially needed to combine tracks taken from The Black Album, The Kinks Kronikles and the Lost Kinks album. That should have pretty much covered everything. I agree...I could listen to 'Days' for, well, days.

Piper is tough to beat for psych. I actually think Satanic is a worthy entry in the genre. I also think The Byrds 5th Dimension deserves some credit for its influence.
Old 11-30-16, 07:00 PM
Banned by request

Got my VPI up and running. I know I haven't got it dialed in with 100% accuracy but I think it sounds pretty damn good.

Edit: Actually I think it sounds great. This is the best some of my music has ever sounded, and I haven't even gotten my new speakers yet, nor do I have a proper tube power amp at the moment.

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-30-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noted, probably inarticulately, that Robyn Hitchcock argued Piper At the Gates Of Dawn as the best. Its what most people agree on including myself. Andy Partridges take was interesting and deserves another look at Satanic. The song "Citadel" in particular is pretty great.
Old 12-01-16, 10:52 AM
Banned by request

You did say Piper and I read it as Pepper, as in Sgt. Pepper. That's my bad!
Old 12-01-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My Wang Chung To Live and Die L.A. vinyl just arrived. Time to get my skinny tie out!
Old 12-04-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just saw on Amazon that they're reissuing Blondie's catalog (at least the first four albums) in a couple of weeks - new pressings and all. They're a little steep at $22-$26 per record. I'd only be interested in the first four anyhow.
Old 12-06-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And yet for $20 or so, you can get all of the first 4 Blondie albums as original presses.
Old 12-06-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, box-sets, even if they include big books or whatever, should always come out to way less per record than buying them separately.
Old 12-08-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I need a suggestion guys.

I would like to buy some sleeves for my LPs. Not the record itself, but the whole LP packaging. Can you recommend me anything?

It seems good ones are hard to find. My former local store had ALL their used LPs in great plastic sleeves. I called them to ask where they got them so I can buy some and they wouldn't tell me!!! WTF. They said they may be able to sell me some for about $.50 each. Theyre good sleeves, but I thought that was pretty shitty of them. Can anyone here help?
Old 12-08-16, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous

I would like to buy some sleeves for my LPs. Not the record itself, but the whole LP packaging. Can you recommend me anything?

It seems good ones are hard to find. My former local store had ALL their used LPs in great plastic sleeves. I called them to ask where they got them so I can buy some and they wouldn't tell me!!! WTF. They said they may be able to sell me some for about $.50 each. Theyre good sleeves, but I thought that was pretty shitty of them. Can anyone here help?
I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you looking for inner sleeves or outer jackets or both?
Old 12-08-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous

Here's a good selection of inner and outer record sleeves, way less than $.50 each, which is a rip off. Stay away from your local record store - sounds like both an rip-off artist and an asshole.
Old 12-08-16, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you looking for inner sleeves or outer jackets or both?
Outer jackets! I want to cover the whole enchilada
Old 12-08-16, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Here's a good selection of inner and outer record sleeves, way less than $.50 each, which is a rip off. Stay away from your local record store - sounds like both an rip-off artist and an asshole.
Yup! Guy was very helpful but basically "dont let the owner know I told you this and dont mention me when asking to buy sleeves" Not a place Ill be giving business to again. It helps that I moved away lol
Old 12-08-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Bags Unlimited is another potential source:
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/206/jackets

They're probably not the cheapest, but I can attest to the high quality of their record jackets.
Old 12-08-16, 05:31 PM
Banned by request

Sleeve City is the best there is for jackets and liners.

IOW what slop said.
Old 12-08-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How is the new VPI Supermallet? we want video!
Old 12-08-16, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

It's fantastic! I'm still waiting on my upgraded speakers to arrive but even with a budget pair it's a noticeable improvement over my old Technics.

What's a good site to host video? Imgur doesn't seem to recognize my video files.
Old 12-09-16, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know? YouTube?

What speakers are you getting? I am looking at some smaller speakers like KEF ls50. We may be moving to a condo to get closer to my wife's work.
Old 12-09-16, 11:34 AM
Banned by request

Blumenstein Orcas. They're full range drivers so they're mid-centric, but the imaging and coherency on them is fantastic.
Old 12-09-16, 07:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can anyone give a recomendation for a turntable? Been out of the vinyl world for awhile but dipping toe back in, no more than $100 - $150.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-16, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

Bump your budget to $179 and get a U-Turn Orbit. Best entry level table bar none. If you can swing the plus model, that's an even better deal for the included upgrades.
Old 12-09-16, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Bump your budget to $179 and get a U-Turn Orbit. Best entry level table bar none. If you can swing the plus model, that's an even better deal for the included upgrades.
Thanks, where can I find that price?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.