Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Anyone ever check out this store?
http://fridaymusic.com/store/

I am a HUGE Billy Joel fan & FridayMusic has recently reissued many (but not all) of his albums on 180g vinyl. I just found a brand new copy of River of Dreams on ebay & got it for less than $10. Even though I already own all of his albums on vinyl & know 180g really doesn't improve audio quality, a lot of them are either colored or translucent which might be reason enough to upgrade.
Old 09-28-16, 09:14 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ruemorgue10
Recently found To Live and Die in L.A. soundtrack on vinyl. William Friedkin made a brilliant decision hiring Wang Chung to do the music for the film; it compliments it perfectly.
one of my favorite soundtracks (and movies) from the 80s. I give the record a spin on a semi-regular basis. Incidentally, the movie seems to be increasingly televised on various premium channels. I often find myself tuning in for a few minutes - even if only for the music.
Old 09-28-16, 01:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
one of my favorite soundtracks (and movies) from the 80s. I give the record a spin on a semi-regular basis. Incidentally, the movie seems to be increasingly televised on various premium channels. I often find myself tuning in for a few minutes - even if only for the music.
Shout! Factory is also set to release a new collector's edition Blu-ray soon. I'll definitely be picking it up.
Old 10-04-16, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

What are some good inner sleeves to buy? I've got a bunch of records where the sleeves are torn (typically from shipping, it seems), while others are just cheap paper and mangled. I like the look/feel of the black paper sleeves with a plastic sort of lining on the inside (anti-static?), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best.

Also, is it a good idea to get outer sleeves for all of my albums, too? If so, again, which ones are recommended? I'm not a fan of the ones that have a sticky fold-over flap, for example.

Unrelated to the above, during my trip to Chicago last week, I hit up a couple record stores. At one of them, I came across an old copy of In The Court of the Crimson King. The sleeve isn't in great shape, but the record itself is in excellent condition. Hadn't listened to that album in over a decade, easily, but man... it's so good.

I also ended up buying two albums by a late-80's noisy British space rock band called LOOP. I had never heard of them before, but the little write-up the store had pasted on the albums was enough to get me to blind buy; not to mention the prices weren't bad either.

Here's the write-up (formatting sucks... grabbed it from the website, but it was on a printed card taped to the record)
Spoiler:
LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPP! VVVVVVVVIIIIIIINNNNNNNYYYYYYYLLLLLLL!

HOLY SHIT. We thought this day would never come. Weve loved this record for a long long time now. When the CD reissue campaign went down a few years back all of us here at Permanent flipped our lids but we couldnt help but ask ourselves when will these most excellent records get rightfully reissued on wax? Multiple emails to the label offering to license a vinyl release on Permanent and 3 or so years of spinning the CDs and our personal copies of the original vinyl here we are ready to blow your minds with the first legit reissue of Loops debut LP Heavens End. Every time weve ever played this record for fresh ears inquiries as to what is was followed. Vinyl-only buyers splurged for the CD version. Its that kind of record. Itll be at the top of my (Lances) Best Reissues of 2012 list without a doubt. Fans of Spacemen 3 Jesus and Mary Chain and/or anything fuzzed-out feedback-laden repetitive psychedelic and heavy ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS RECORD! This may all sound like hyperbole but we assure you it is not. If you dig good music and you dont already own this just stop reading right now and drop this in yr cart. Therell be time enough for reading the back history when the dealing is done. Sceptics feel free to read Reactors description below-British primal psych band Loop was formed in London in 1986 by Robert Hampson on guitar and vocals and Beki Stewart (Bex) on drums. After finding bassist Glen Ray Loop signed to Head Records run by Jeff Barrett (Heavenly) and released the feedback-drenched 12-inch 16 Dreams. With the arrival of James Endeacott on second guitar drummer John Wills and bassist Neil MacKay Loop adopted a more primal rhythmic approach and put out their debut full-length 1987s Heavens End.The band hypnotized all with their discordant trance-like spell which served as an antidote to the prevailing trends in British pop at the time they resurrected the concept of loud out-there rock for a new era creating droning soundscapes of bleak beauty and harsh dissonance loosely influenced by The Velvet Underground The Stooges The MC5 but retaining the avant-garde and experimental edge of Can Faust Neu! Rhys Chatham Glenn Branca and minimalist systems music. Live shows were revelatoryLoop pushed PAs to the very limit delivering a sonic pummel that has yet to be experienced since.Out of print on vinyl for the last two decades Heavens End is finally available again in its original format.Are you really still reading this description? Whats holding you back? Maybe you think this all sounds too good to be true...its not. Its all true. Even this part- harsh dissonance loosely influenced by The Velvet Underground The Stooges The MC5 but retaining the avant-garde and experimental edge of Can Faust Neu! Rhys Chatham Glenn Branca. Its all true. If you buy this record and dont like it well buy it back for $12. Hows that for a guarantee?If youre still reading this description trying to decide whether to pull the trigger or not I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly take a stress pill and think things over. Just buy it. You wont be sorry you did.

HHHHHHHIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHLLLLLLLYYYYYYY RRRRRRREEEEEEECCCCCCCOOOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEEEEENNNNNNNDDDDDDDEEEEEEEDDDDDD!

yeah, a little over-excited, but y'know... both albums I bought are pretty damn good! I bought two other albums on Discogs this week. So yeah, check out LOOP. Good stuff.

Also, my request for someone to pick up an exclusive record at a store in LA still stands. I'll make it worth your while, etc. etc. Just hit me up if you can help.
Old 10-04-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, i typically get inner/outer sleeves.
Old 10-04-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleevecityusa.com is my go to.
Old 10-04-16, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I use these on the outside - they fit single and double vinyl sets nicely, protect and stay on well enough.
Old 10-04-16, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For inner sleeves, make sure you get polysleeves (that is paper on the outside with plastic liner on the inside). They're incredibly sturdy and IMO provide the most protection for your vinyl.

Also, if you're using outer sleeves, you can pack the record in the inner sleeve on the outside of the record jacket, all contained within the larger outer sleeve, to prevent the ring wear you see on a lot of older vinyl jackets.
Old 10-05-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn 4LP coming in December. Too bad there is no blu-ray or DVD.

Old 10-06-16, 12:27 AM
Banned by request

There's got to be a Blu-ray coming. By all accounts this was a very visual show.
Old 10-06-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Right about now, Im kicking myself for not getting that damn Warriors Soundtrack
Old 10-06-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got my DRIVE LP from Italians Do It Better. Wow, they really hook a brotha up with the freebies.
Old 10-07-16, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Mondo has the score for Luke Cage up for preorder:
Spoiler:

Old 10-12-16, 04:32 PM

So how do you guys store your records? I have a great cabinet that I just love but saw this image on Amazon and would love to adopt this. Anyone know where I can get one?

Old 10-12-16, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

^^ Not exactly the same, but the IKEA KALLAX shelves are pretty close and work well.
Old 10-13-16, 10:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I use IKEA EXPEDIT, which is now KALLAX, and yeah, they're great for records.
Old 10-14-16, 09:28 PM

Ahhhh, thanks for the suggestions guys. I have this great classic shelf right now but its kinda filling up lol
Old 10-14-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna need some new shelves soon, so good on the Kallax recommendations
Old 10-17-16, 07:22 PM
Banned by request

Picked up the Twin Peaks vinyl today. Is the Fire Walk With Me reissue out yet?
Old 10-17-16, 07:54 PM
Banned by request

Also I joined Vinyl Me Please because this month's record is Odelay. And I ordered The Fugees release they did a few months back.
Old 10-17-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
December.
Old 10-17-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Where did you get it and how much? The price on Amazon sucks.
Old 10-17-16, 08:41 PM
Banned by request

Got it from a local shop for $40. I know I could have gotten it cheaper if I searched around but it was right in front of me and I like to support my local shops.
Old 10-17-16, 09:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I hope your copy doesn't sound as terrible as mine. Mondo's going to send me a replacement when the new batch comes in. Hopefully there's an improvement.

edit: I picked up the MoFi inner sleeves last week. They're poly & paper. Slowly replacing all my paper sleeves with these. I like them, although sometimes I have trouble getting them into covers, as these seem to be just a little taller than most sleeves. Thanks all for the recommendations.
Old 10-17-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For some reason I thought the MSRP on that was $20. I must have been mistaken.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.