Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 04-18-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Did not know Cheap Trick had released a new album - pre-ordered the vinyl for $16.99 off of Amazon.

It rather appropriately came out on April Fool's Day. Like a lot of new albums these days, there was about a month delay between the CD/Digital version and when the Vinyl version comes out. Oh, and it's great, too!
Old 04-19-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I have been to the San Marcos shop once. They had a lot of leftiver RSD product from 1-2 years previous. So does Encore on east 6th for that matter. I have the best luck at Waterloo. I just arrive early and get nearly everything I want. My friends store, Sound Gallery on South Congress does not participate, but they have a great selection of stuff you don't see anywhere else in town.
I have yet to browse an Austin shop but I will hit those places up! If I can only do one, which do you recommend?

I hit the el paso shop All That Music and they had shit for RSD releases. But I met the owner and the whole staff was nice and super helpful. I found some great deals but some seemed a tad over priced.
Old 04-19-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I have yet to browse an Austin shop but I will hit those places up! If I can only do one, which do you recommend?

I hit the el paso shop All That Music and they had shit for RSD releases. But I met the owner and the whole staff was nice and super helpful. I found some great deals but some seemed a tad over priced.
If you want to see some great gear along with records I'd recommend Sound Gallery on Soth Congress. For the latest trendy hipster stuff Waterloo is the place.
Old 04-19-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Discovered a new synth band from Denmark called:

Scooped up their vinyl from Discogs for $18. It was $36 shipped from their Big Cartel storefront.

Old 04-20-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...1b&oe=5775CF74
Old 04-21-16, 12:55 AM

This just came in the mail:

Old 04-21-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice! I never did get in on that set - was too cost prohibitive for me.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-21-16 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Record Store Day - Arrived at first location at 8:30 to avoid the initial rush. Got:

Deerhoof - Offend Maggie
Flaming Lips CD and comic
New PJ Harvey LP (non-RSD)

Went to next place that opened at 9, got:

Grateful Dead box set
Husker Du 7"

Went to the final and best place 90 minutes after they opened, got:

Phish - Hoist (the only thing I REALLY wanted and I got the last one seriously bumming out the guy behind me)
The Bevis Frond - Inner Marsh
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
Son Volt live LP
Jay Farrar - Sebastopol
The Feelies - Uncovered
2 of those Side by Side 7"'s

While there, I also got a nice, clean original copy of The Ramones first album. I had an old beater.

The only thing I didn't get was the other Bevis Frond LP (I ordered it online from BullMoose) and the Mac Demarco demos. All in all, a good day.
Old 04-21-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From anyone who missed out on "Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks" RSD exclusive, it's being repressed on clear vinyl.

Pre-orders can be found here: https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/pro...sic_of_twin_-1

Doesn't ship till Aug, but preorders get an immediate download. If you love the music of TP, this is essential.
Old 04-21-16, 02:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ There's also word that Mondo and Death Waltz are releasing the Twin Peaks original soundtrack in the next couple weeks.

In other news...
http://www.avclub.com/article/mondo-...phonogr-235662

April 26th is now Alien Day, a reference to LV-426, the planet where the Xenomorphs were originally found in 1979’s Alien (If you don’t know, now you know.) Mondo and Alamo Drafthouse are celebrating 4/26 with a double feature of the original film, as well as James Cameron’s war-movie sequel. In addition to T-shirts, posters, and knitware, Mondo will be releasing the soundtracks to both Aliens and Prometheus on wax, and The A.V. Club has an exclusive look.

James Horner’s Aliens score will be reissued on standard vinyl, as well as a very limited edition (75 copies) clear wax with green “Xenomorph” blood inside. It’s exciting news for Aliens fans, the James Cameron faithful, and ’90s action movie trailer enthusiasts who can hum “Bishop’s Countdown” note for note. The Mondo release will also feature several alternate takes and musical cues not featured in the film. And the Prometheus score, from composer Marc Streitenfeld, will be pressed on heavyweight grey splatter vinyl (limited to 1,000 copies) as well as standard black vinyl.

Old 04-21-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those look nice!
Old 04-21-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I already got Aliens when it was available originally, but I might grab Prometheus. I'm not sure.

I honestly can't remember any part of that score. I'll have to give it a listen before next week.
Old 04-21-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, that Prometheus looks cool (and I like how the cover is similar to their Aliens release) but I don't recall that score being particularly memorable.
Old 04-21-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
From anyone who missed out on "Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks" RSD exclusive, it's being repressed on clear vinyl.

Pre-orders can be found here: https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/pro...sic_of_twin_-1

Doesn't ship till Aug, but preorders get an immediate download. If you love the music of TP, this is essential.
Is this pure coincidence, or is there an intentional connection with Xiu Xiu and Twin Peaks?

As in:
Xiu Xiu is also the title of a movie directed by Joan Chen.
Joan Chen played Josie Packard on Twin Peaks.
Old 04-21-16, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
Is this pure coincidence, or is there an intentional connection with Xiu Xiu and Twin Peaks?

As in:
Xiu Xiu is also the title of a movie directed by Joan Chen.
Joan Chen played Josie Packard on Twin Peaks.
They did get the name from the movie, but I don't think that is the reason they chose to record the album. I believe it was just a wider appreciation of the music and Lynch's work in general. Somehow I never knew she directed that, being a big fan of both Xiu Xiu and Twin Peaks I'm not sure how I missed it?
Old 04-22-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-22-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered the Xiu Xiu.

Twin Peaks OST
Old 04-22-16, 09:00 PM

That Deadpool is nice!! Kinda wish I woulda ordered it now lol

Ever since I saw you mention Discogs, Blue, I have added my collection and want list and now every day I get emails on their prices and everything.... this is gonna make me broke for sure lol
Old 04-22-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
That Deadpool is nice!! Kinda wish I woulda ordered it now lol

Ever since I saw you mention Discogs, Blue, I have added my collection and want list and now every day I get emails on their prices and everything.... this is gonna make me broke for sure lol
Indeed! You can get much better deals (sometimes) on there than Amazon. Why pay full price? Unless it's an exclusive.

Add me on there if you want - just hit my sig.
Old 04-22-16, 09:12 PM

Indeed! You can get much better deals (sometimes) on there than Amazon. Why pay full price? Unless it's an exclusive.

Add me on there if you want - just hit my sig.
Yea I noticed how a lot is priced really well! I have started picking up the RSD releases I wanted. Spent another $100 the other day...

I added you. Dont know how I will show up but Im Nekro666 on there.
Old 04-26-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I wonder what's going on with the Waxwork release of the Goosebumps soundtrack. I just remembered I have it ordered and paid for after seeing the thread for the new film coming out but I haven't heard from them in a while. There was an email that went out earlier in the year saying it may be delayed slightly but it was supposed to be out in February originally I believe. Here we are and its almost May and no updates or album.
Old 04-26-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone score themselves a copy of that liquid filled Alien LP? $225 was the cost.
Old 04-26-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did anyone score themselves a copy of that liquid filled Alien LP? $225 was the cost.
Didn't even try. But my friend is in line at the pop up shop and should get one at 5 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder what's going on with the Waxwork release of the Goosebumps soundtrack. I just remembered I have it ordered and paid for after seeing the thread for the new film coming out but I haven't heard from them in a while. There was an email that went out earlier in the year saying it may be delayed slightly but it was supposed to be out in February originally I believe. Here we are and its almost May and no updates or album.
Waxwork said it was supposedly in-hand and shipping out, but that was going to be last week. So maybe this week?

All I know is they have clearly learned a lesson from the pre-order fiascos of their 2015 releases. Having titles on-hand prior to on-sale dates has made everything run smoothly.
Old 04-26-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scalpers have already thrown up the Alien liquid vinyl for 2-3 times the original price on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...MONDO&_sacat=0

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.