Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 12-19-15, 01:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They do. I think one of Kyuss' founding members was the original Fu Manchu Drummer for a long time. Producer, too.

They also play the same style of music. Both of those bands are considered "stoner rock."
Thought so. I'm a big QOTSA and Josh Homme fan so of course familiar with Kyuss lol.
Old 12-21-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Hmmm.... So I was jamming to my Doors mono this morning and it starts skipping!! I baby these records and it had some lint on it that I blew off but it kept skipping on the same part! Any help here on WTF happened?
Unless you scratched it, it shouldn't be skipping. Its probably an issue with the turntable.

I use a Spin Clean and a carbon fiber brush. I have a discwasher from the 70s too but never use it. I usually use a microfiber cloth and some sort of spray on fluid for an initial cleaning.
Old 12-24-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Unless you scratched it, it shouldn't be skipping. Its probably an issue with the turntable.

I use a Spin Clean and a carbon fiber brush. I have a discwasher from the 70s too but never use it. I usually use a microfiber cloth and some sort of spray on fluid for an initial cleaning.
I actually went back to the record store and they had another Doors so I exchanged it and it skips in the same spot! Very frustrating.

Now get this: I gor 3 rsd exclusive side by side releases for Xmas and they come housed in a plastic case standard. Well the plastic was stuck to the vinyl on all 3 that I had to peel off. I played them and they all play with a static noise. They're all messed up. Would that brush you all recommended fix this? Is there a solution I can make or buy that'll dissolve this staining from the vinyl?

Thanks to anyone who helps cure this shitty situation

Last edited by Ravenous; 12-24-15 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-25-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well those side by sides and many other records are in PVC packaging which can chemically react to the record even through a cardboard sleeve. Usually takes years, so it's probably ok. You may need to jump straight to a spin clean wouldn't hurt.

What player are you using?
Old 12-25-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I was leaning towards the Rega RP1 (as it has optional upgrade), but when I was at store salesman told me he felt the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit plays a lot better given motor connection and acrylic platter.

They sell Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall.

Thoughts/feedback?
Old 12-26-15, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Well those side by sides and many other records are in PVC packaging which can chemically react to the record even through a cardboard sleeve. Usually takes years, so it's probably ok. You may need to jump straight to a spin clean wouldn't hurt.

It's a retro vintage "back to the 50s" phonograph.

I'm thinking of getting some goo gone on these guys. I can't mess them up any worse than they are. 5 separate side by sides from 5 separate sellers and they all sound like static
Old 12-26-15, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
I was leaning towards the Rega RP1 (as it has optional upgrade), but when I was at store salesman told me he felt the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit plays a lot better given motor connection and acrylic platter.

They sell Rega, Pro-Ject and Music Hall.

Thoughts/feedback?
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. They are all upgradable. I have a Rega RP-1 that I've upgraded with a new belt and cartridge. It sounds great.

We just got my dad a Project for Christmas and it has a nice look and seems a little more complicated than the Rega to set up.

If you're planning to upgrade, I think you'll get roughly the same sound out of all of these -- depending on the cartridge you go with.
Old 12-29-15, 07:39 PM

I forgot to say that I tried cleaning them but they're bad off. Tons of static and skipping. I was gonna attach a photo but don't know how with my phone.
Old 01-03-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally plonked down AU$500+ on two records by The Tea Party.
Splendor Solis, and The Edges of Twilight.
After buying a bootleg of one of them, and then hearing how the 20th anniversary reissue sounds just as bad (flat, muddy, compressed) I just had to go ahead and buy the original limited releases. As far as I know, only 500 copies of each were made.

I find www.discogs.com a good resource to check out what versions of an album have been released and what users have to say about comparisons on the vinyl pressing.

Ended up buying original pressings of a lot of the records I grew up listening to (early 90's rock/grunge) due to hearing about how the remasters were disappointing. Don't want to ruin my memories
Old 01-04-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a retro vintage "back to the 50s" phonograph.
This is your problem.
Old 01-04-16, 01:03 PM

This is your problem.
Possibly, but it was a loving gift from my wife.

Its still the only record Ive had with a problem, and I did do some research on the PVC type packaging and it seems to affect alot of releases with no way of repair. Bummer
Old 01-04-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have Wilco's first record (A.M.) on red vinyl in a PVC sleeve (the only way it was released until the recent reissue). I'm sticking that in a paper sleeve as soon as I get home along with my Side By Sides. Never really noticed nice but did notice sticking.
Old 01-06-16, 01:15 AM

I have Wilco's first record (A.M.) on red vinyl in a PVC sleeve (the only way it was released until the recent reissue). I'm sticking that in a paper sleeve as soon as I get home along with my Side By Sides. Never really noticed nice but did notice sticking.
Yea it seems picture discs succumb to this the most. I got 2 of my side by sides exchanged and they got the same shit. It seems Temps humidity, and moisture all detertimine how fast and much it'll degrade.

Anyone care to share how much they paid for Mondo release of Mad Max Fury Road? Just wondering what I missed out on.

Also, I'm loving getting vinyl. I find myself wanting to get new releases but would like the ability to get it on mp3 as well so I can have it on my ipod. I really wish every release came with thst option. So I wait to see if amazon will offer the vinyl on autorip as well. Anyone have any suggestions to either shop a certain retailer or will I just have to buy it on cd too?
Old 01-06-16, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vinyl purchases + Spotify and you're golden.
Old 01-06-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea it seems picture discs succumb to this the most. I got 2 of my side by sides exchanged and they got the same shit. It seems Temps humidity, and moisture all detertimine how fast and much it'll degrade.

Anyone care to share how much they paid for Mondo release of Mad Max Fury Road? Just wondering what I missed out on.

Also, I'm loving getting vinyl. I find myself wanting to get new releases but would like the ability to get it on mp3 as well so I can have it on my ipod. I really wish every release came with thst option. So I wait to see if amazon will offer the vinyl on autorip as well. Anyone have any suggestions to either shop a certain retailer or will I just have to buy it on cd too?

Well, you could always invest in something like the Ion Ez Vinyl converter, which is a little box that will allow you to hookup up your turntable to a computer. Via the included software software, you'll be able to rip the the files to MP3 or other digital file formats. Put's most of the work in your own hands, but not that much more difficult than what us old folks used to have to do in vinyl's original heyday, when recording onto tape.
Old 01-06-16, 10:07 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Vinyl purchases + Spotify and you're golden.
This is the perfect solution for me as well. I reserve vinyl/LP purchases for my favorites and listen to them on my hi-fi setup.

Spotify is great for listening on the go or in other rooms in the house (through Sonos speakers).
Old 01-06-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Meg Meyers vinyl finally arrived.
Old 01-06-16, 12:41 PM

I don't think Sony will sell very many, but they showed off a table at CES that converts to their proprietary DSD format or FLAC via USB to a computer of your choice.

Oh yeah and Panasonic showed some Technics thing too . . .

Old 01-06-16, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they were around $45 if you ordered directly from Mondo. It's a cool release for sure. I've enjoyed mine.

Your best bet is to see if Amazon offers an auto rip for it. Some labels include a CD or file download with every album they release, others don't. And the prices can vary wildly depending on the artist, label, and format (i.e. 33 rpm vs 45 rpm, colored vinyl vs black, etc.). I can't think of any store that will bundle in the CD version with the vinyl for a discount, although that would be a clever marketing move.

Alternatively, as others have mentioned, a sub to a streaming service may be more convenient than tracking down CDs.

I don't think Sony will sell very many, but they showed off a table at CES that converts to their proprietary DSD format or FLAC via USB to a computer of your choice.
That's good of Sony to allow for FLAC. DSD only would have been a disaster. More software and DACs can handle DSD natively now, but it can still be slim pickings, and AFAIK no R2R/ladder/multibit DAC can handle DSD at all, so it would have to be converted.

FWIW, I've listened to DSD natively on my Pono and compared against FLAC conversions of the same files, and I could hear no difference. Similarly, I could hear no difference between the same tracks in DSD64 and DSD128. I haven't heard any native DXD recordings.

On the one hand I think it's cool that Sony is opening up to vinyl rippers. On the other hand, I highly doubt their rig will even come close to touching the rigs of the best rippers out there.
Old 01-11-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I preordered this set. Might as well.

Old 01-12-16, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think they were around $45 if you ordered directly from Mondo. It's a cool release for sure. I've enjoyed mine.

Your best bet is to see if Amazon offers an auto rip for it. Some labels include a CD or file download with every album they release, others don't. And the prices can vary wildly depending on the artist, label, and format (i.e. 33 rpm vs 45 rpm, colored vinyl vs black, etc.). I can't think of any store that will bundle in the CD version with the vinyl for a discount, although that would be a clever marketing move.

Alternatively, as others have mentioned, a sub to a streaming service may be more convenient than tracking down CDs.
Good suggestions Sup (and everyone at that). Dont know if Ill go the spotify route because I think you need internet for that and I dont want it. I know crazy. But I go to the library if need be or use it at work. I have unlimited data with cell, but my damn service doesnt work with my new location.

Soooo.... I couldnt fucking resist! I had to get Mad Max Fury Road on that exclusive Vinyl. For those who still want it, its only $40 and prime qualified and comes with the auto rip for free. I am damn happy and have been eye balling it hard. I dont know if I got lucky but I was on the other day and it was $75. I dont know why or how its down to $40. I jumped!
Old 01-12-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went in on this:

and my 1980's guilty pleasure:

Spoiler:

Old 01-12-16, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Meg Meyers vinyl finally arrived.
Took long enough haha
Old 01-13-16, 07:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bullmoose is taking pre-orders on the individual Bowie remasters from the Five Years box set. So far, studio albums only, no Re:Call either. Of the masters in that box set, I can wholeheartedly recommend The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, which had an all analog remaster, and Pin-Ups. I doubt Pin-Ups had an AAA remaster, but it sounds terrific anyway.

Aladdin Sane is an absolute no go, squashed and runs way too hot. MWSTW and Hunky Dory have gotten mixed reactions, so YMMV with those.

I ordered Ziggy and Pin-Ups. I didn't buy the box set.
Old 01-13-16, 07:54 PM

I hope it's not a complete Bowie overload on RSD. There is usually at least one maybe two releases. I quit buying the 7" pic discs. Couldn't keep up. Don't play them anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.