Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I'll probably end up getting a turntable by the end of the year, even if it only turns out to be a short term experiment. I was eyeing the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and was hoping you all could weigh in on cost v performance, features, etc. and any possible alternatives in the same neighborhood.

Trying to narrow down now in case any Black Friday deals come up too.
Old 11-12-15, 10:23 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The Project DC is a solid TT. Some have experienced "hum" with the motor and vibrations. A bit frustrating, but can be addressed with a $4 fix (get a few neoprene washers). I have the DC and like it - carbon fiber tone-arm and comes with a solid cart (Ortofon 2M Red). Can easily swap it out and upgrade to the 2M Blue.

The other options in a similar price range and performance would likely be the Music Hall MMF2.2, Rega RP1 and to some extent, the Orbit U-Turn. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above to be honest.
Old 11-12-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pro-ject Debut Carbon - it has no "features". You need to take the platter off to move the belt to pay 45RPM which is a pain in the ass. No auto-return of the tonearm. I hear the hum too but don't hear it once the music starts. How do you fix it?
Old 11-12-15, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114
I have the Pro-ject Debut Carbon - it has no "features". You need to take the platter off to move the belt to pay 45RPM which is a pain in the ass. No auto-return of the tonearm. I hear the hum too but don't hear it once the music starts. How do you fix it?
There are 2 screws that hold down the motor assembly. The screws are metal on metal. Stick a couple neoprene washers in between and it should eliminate it (or significantly reduce). There's a helpful thread on the AVS forum here.

I did it a few weeks back - took 2 minutes and cost $4.
Old 11-12-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucked over by amazon.co.uk.

I ordered the Europe exclusive red-vinyl version of Wilco's new record and after $35 and 11 days, I got a plain old black copy. Now, the amazon page for the record makes no mention of "red" vinyl.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
There are 2 screws that hold down the motor assembly. The screws are metal on metal. Stick a couple neoprene washers in between and it should eliminate it (or significantly reduce). There's a helpful thread on the AVS forum here.

I did it a few weeks back - took 2 minutes and cost $4.
Where does one get neoprene washers?
Old 11-12-15, 01:58 PM

Where does one get neoprene washers?
Your local hardware store should have them. I went to Ace - I think they were $.30 each. Should be the same aisle as standard washers, bolts, screws, etc.
Old 11-16-15, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone list any 12" records you know of that are pressed on translucent yellow vinyl? Not marbled, speckled, or multi-color. Just plain yellow (but translucent).

I just noticed that I happen to have translucent releases on red, blue, green, purple, and orange and would only need yellow to have all primary and secondary colors. I want to play with them for a photography/art project. Stupid I know, but just a curiosity to me.
Old 11-16-15, 01:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I have a Dandy Warhols album that's on yellow (Welcome to the Monkey House). I can't remember if it's translucent, though. I want to say it is, but it's been awhile since I've checked.

edit: I'm going to say... yes. Yes it is. I found an ebay listing for the same album, and it's translucent.
Old 11-16-15, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Forever Comes Crashing by Converge had a "gold" pressing that was translucent yellow.
Old 11-16-15, 09:11 PM

Here's a couple more:

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Woodstock (2004 US reissue)
Kraftwerk - Computer World (2005 UK reissue)
Old 11-17-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wahlers
Can anyone list any 12" records you know of that are pressed on translucent yellow vinyl? Not marbled, speckled, or multi-color. Just plain yellow (but translucent).

I just noticed that I happen to have translucent releases on red, blue, green, purple, and orange and would only need yellow to have all primary and secondary colors. I want to play with them for a photography/art project. Stupid I know, but just a curiosity to me.
There were a number of 70's albums put out by A&M Records which used translucent yellow vinyl as a substitute for "Gold" vinyl pressings. Albums by Styx, Peter Frampton and the like.

Along the same lines, there are also some pressings of Grand Funk Railroad's We're An American Band that were issued this way, as well.

In more recent years, the soundtrack to Empire Records, which was a RSD release a few years back, but should be still easy to find.

Also, The Screaming Trees Sweet Oblivion was recently re-issued on translucent yellow/gold vinyl as a Newbury Comics exclusive release.

Oh, and if you want to find something really cheap, head to your local thrift shop, Gooodwill...etc and look for a recording of Ebb Tide by Earl Grant, which can usually be found littering most such places. If memory serves correctly, copies of that album were pressed on translucent yellow vinyl, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-17-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies! That definitely gives me a starting point.
Old 11-17-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Picked up a nice haul during my lunch break.
  • Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
  • Elton John - Madman Across The Water
  • Genesis - Genesis
  • George Harrison - Cloud Nine
  • Gerry Rafferty - City To City
  • Jim Croce - The Faces I've Been
  • Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
  • Lionel Richie - Lionel Richie
  • Phil Collins - Face Value
  • Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
  • Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
  • Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
  • Wings - London Town
All of them in the VG+ to NM- range. Paid about $38 bucks for the lot. The Rod Stewart LP sounds particularly fantastic.
Old 11-20-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got an email last night from Barnes & Nobel saying that tomorrow (the 21st) is "Vinyl Day" in their stores.

It said that they may have musical performances, radio broadcasts, appearances by artists and givaways, depending on your area (so knowing my city, we won't have any of that )
It also stated that they will have free copies of Uncut magazine and Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time issue (Nook edition only =| ).

The email also mentioned that they will have some exclusive items and even some signed albums. From what's pictured (and some other info I've gathered) I made up a partial list (Some of this info may be inaccurate, B&N's official announcement was pretty vague)

Exclusives:
The Beatles Singles 45 boxed set (Formerly a 2011 Record Store Day exclusive)
Paul McCartney - Tug Of War (With exclusive bonus 7 inch)
Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace (With exclusive bonus 7 inch)
Tony Bennett - The Silver Lining: The Songs of Jerome Kern
Yo-Yo Ma - Songs of Joy and Peace
The Prentenders - 1979-1999 Collection boxed set
Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead (exclusive colored vinyl)
Don Henley - Cass County (exclusive colored vinyl)
James Taylor - Greatest Hits (exclusive colored vinyl)
James Taylor - Before This World (exclusive colored vinyl)
Frank Sinatra - Ultimate Sinatra
Piano Guys - Family Christmas
Andrea Bocelli - Cinema
Harry Connick Jr - That Would Be Me

Signed:
Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
Bad Company - Bad Company (Signed by Paul Rogers)
Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure
Lindsay Serling - Shatter Me
Brandi Carlile - The Firewatcher's Daughter
Silversun Pickups - Better Nature

Like I said, there's probably more that I missed, but B&N's info is sorta crappy. They only picture 6 exclusive and 6 signed albums in the email, and the info page on their site mentions a couple of the exclusives (but only the artists, not which album) and omits the signed albums entirely. Also, any of the albums tagged as exclusive which actually have wide releases, didn't mention what was exclusive about their version.
And they tout the Beatles 45 set as one of the vinyl day exclusives, but I bought that at my local B&N a month ago.

Basically, this post is full of YMMV
Old 11-23-15, 09:25 AM

Anyone plan on going out for RSD this Friday? Here's the list. Nothing I'm really in need of.
Old 11-23-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to Barnes and Noble. They had like 5 of the 47 "exclusive" titles. Total bust. Totally lame. I don't even think anyone there knew it was "Vinyl Day". No additional sales on vinyl.

As for RSDBF, yes, I want Ween's The Pod but thats a title that will be available later as well. I'll probably also pick up the Deerhoof, Zombies, Zappa releases. I'd like the MGMT glow in the dark single but its $30.
Old 11-25-15, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Went to Barnes and Noble. They had like 5 of the 47 "exclusive" titles. Total bust. Totally lame. I don't even think anyone there knew it was "Vinyl Day". No additional sales on vinyl.
I went to Barnes and Noble looking for just the signed Sleater-Kinney album. I got there 20 minutes after they opened and wandered around their vinyl table for about 5 mins looking through everything. They had almost all the exclusives I mentioned in my list, but none of the signed records. I managed to flag down one of the guys I talk to sometimes when I'm in there, and I asked him about it and showed him the email on my phone saying they would have them. I figured maybe I had missed them and they were already sold, but he didn't think so. He then looked through the section for about 5 minutes with me to confirm that, yes, there weren't any signed records there.

After that he told me that he would ask the employee who was in charge of stocking the vinyl if he had put them out. That guy came over, said that they should be out there and checked the computer, confirming they got 2 of each and they weren't shown as being sold yet. He then looked through the section for a third time.

Then, finally, the first guy said he would ask the store manager. She came out and said "Oh, we got some. They should be here." She then very half-assedly looked though the section, just sorta flipping through the records and not even glancing at them. I just stood there watching her for several minutes and she finally looked up and said, "Okay...the Sleater-Kinney one was the only one you wanted?" and when I said yes she took off and walked straight to the front of the store, behind the registers and pulled a copy out from under the counter. She walked over, handed it to me and said "Here you go." and walked away.

I was sorta confused by the whole thing (Was she holding all the signed records for herself to buy and flip later or something?), and it ate up way too much of my time, but I walked out with a copy of No Cities To Love with the signed print inside.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 11-25-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's lame. My B&N had mostly signed stuff. Brian Wilson, Brandi Carlisle and Sleater Kinney signed. They had the Paul McCartney albums. That was about it. I just wanted the Ryan Adams - probably behind the counter.
Old 11-26-15, 11:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

For those of you who live in hotter states (I'm looking at you, Texans)
Any tips on storage and/or transportation of your records?
I know houses have AC any everything, but... I'm just a little paranoid about damaging anything once I've moved. Up here, I have nothing to worry about (cool & dry climate). Down there... I'm not so sure.
Old 11-27-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How do you tell good versions of albums in vinyl? I notice Amazon has a lightning deal today on Miles Davis Kind of Blue 180g, which is the type of the no I wanted to get into vinyl to try out. However, I feel like I saw a $80 version in a store. What gives? Should I steer clear?
Old 11-27-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
How do you tell good versions of albums in vinyl? I notice Amazon has a lightning deal today on Miles Davis Kind of Blue 180g, which is the type of the no I wanted to get into vinyl to try out. However, I feel like I saw a $80 version in a store. What gives? Should I steer clear?
It just takes research. If it's the standard KoB with the Columbia label that runs between 20-30 normally it's probably ok. My favorite, the Sony mono RSD version is OOP. The expensive MoFi version is excellent.

But there are MANY KoB and other "180 gram" European grey market releases out there to avoid. You can tell the difference because they won't feature the original artwork, often it looks very close. And it won't have the original record label name anywhere on the sleeve or record.

I looked and if it's the $18 one, it says Sony BMG in the listing. Probably fine. Looks like Newberry comics has their version on Amazon as well which is actually colored blue. Probably very similar to the Sony in sound.
Old 11-27-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like it's a Columbia product. I'll see what the price is in an hour.

Kind of Blue (180g Vinyl) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041TM5OU..._FxhwwbTD8GPQZ
Old 11-27-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Anyone pick up any Black Friday RSD releases? I only grabbed two, the B52's LIVE! 8.24.1979 and John Mellencamp's Scarecrow, the latter arguing being Mellencamp's best release ever. Nothing else really stood out to me.
Old 11-27-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will go tonight and see if any Johnny Cash or Batman 7" are left. Maybe Buzzcocks.
Old 11-27-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I picked up the Sonics box set, the Zombies at the BBC and the Carl Perkins dance album.
Wanted to get David Bowie Earthling but I didn't wanna pay 31 for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.