Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 11-15-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Eddie W
OMG, must have! Does that really play or is it just a goof?
It's an actual working record. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but that's sorta expected with flexi discs.

Here's a video I found on youtube of a dude showing it off and playing a little bit of it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wQSQ8i1vxTE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-15-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I was able to resist buying another Batman!
I guess to me its a cool item more for the novelty/collectible sake. I probably won't actually play it but might frame it somehow.

I have the Mr. Freeze variant from Comic Con too but this one is too cool to pass up. The artwork is nice plus the actual record being Bat shaped is sweet too.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-15-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh believe me its cool. It's just I have this compulsion to buy all things Mondo. It's just gotta stop. Feels like this is an appropriate place.

I'm listening to The Visitor right now. But will I ever listen to Paranorman or Coraline again? Doubt it.

Picked up the David Bowie Peter and The Wolf today. Sounds great.
Old 11-15-14, 06:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
It's an actual working record. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but that's sorta expected with flexi discs.
That's awesome. And a fitting insert in relation to their Austin-themed episode of Sonic Highways.
Old 11-15-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess to me its a cool item more for the novelty/collectible sake. I probably won't actually play it but might frame it somehow.

I have the Mr. Freeze variant from Comic Con too but this one is too cool to pass up. The artwork is nice plus the actual record being Bat shaped is sweet too.
I've managed to avoid picking up anything from Mondo...until now. That Batman record is too awesome to pass up. I ordered the gray-splatter version.
Old 11-15-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I don't care much for Mondo in general. I've always hated their be there at the exact right time which we won't announce beforehand, but if you have nothing better to do than watching our Facebook or Twitter accounts you may have a chance to buy something you want. Its irritating and to me seems to just give incentive to scalpers to buy up items to resell later for ridiculous prices. They seem not to do it as much with their albums but with their prints its pretty annoying. The Batman: The Animated Series vinyl was too cool to pass up though.
Old 11-15-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Sucker!!
Old 11-15-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
So is that exclusive to the Seattle cover or something? My copy didn't come with one.

And I have to say I really, really, really do not get the Mondo business model. Sure they look kinda of cool, but it seems like the majority of the posts here are about them. Are there really that many people who enjoy listening to horror movie soundtracks on vinyl? Or is it just a collector thing?
Old 11-15-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is that exclusive to the Seattle cover or something? My copy didn't come with one.
Did you order your copy directly from the Foo Fighters site? It was a bonus that they put orders from their web store.
Old 11-16-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I have to say I really, really, really do not get the Mondo business model. Sure they look kinda of cool, but it seems like the majority of the posts here are about them. Are there really that many people who enjoy listening to horror movie soundtracks on vinyl? Or is it just a collector thing?
The majority of my vinyl collection is soundtracks, specifically horror.
Old 11-16-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

vinyl is the new beanie babies
Old 11-16-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
You're the treasure troll of the vinyl thread.
Old 11-18-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
I don't disagree. I mainly buy hard to find jazz and rock albums of the 60s and 70's creeping into the 80s a bit with "new wave" and punk. There are exceptions obviously as I just picked up some original Nick Cave records from the 90's.

I do buy a lot of new albums on vinyl because that's how I listen at home mainly and they come with mp3 downloads for the car. I try and stay away from anything I will not listen to on a regular basis.
Old 11-18-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also listen to everything I buy.

Collecting is part of it though. I've always been a collector of stuff...but I'm not buying these for future profit or resell-ability or anything like that. I think they're cool and I like the music.
Old 11-19-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't disagree. I mainly buy hard to find jazz and rock albums of the 60s and 70's creeping into the 80s a bit with "new wave" and punk. There are exceptions obviously as I just picked up some original Nick Cave records from the 90's.

I do buy a lot of new albums on vinyl because that's how I listen at home mainly and they come with mp3 downloads for the car. I try and stay away from anything I will not listen to on a regular basis.
I'm in the same boat and look for a lot of the same type of records. This recent trend of boutique releases, though, is aimed at a very specific (and very new) group of vinyl collectors. It's bad for everyone who buys vinyl for music though as it's driving up the price of all releases. People are going to feel like fools paying $70 for a copy of the Looper soundtrack in a few years.
Old 11-20-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of many reasons CDs replaced vinyl so quickly was the amount of space records take up. Another reason to be a bit more selective. Plus, if you have to move them, it's a huge pain in the ass.
Old 11-20-14, 08:27 AM

Agree that the vinyl industry is in kind of a weird spot right now. The audiophiles will always be there (and likely always were), but yeah the new generation these boutique releases are aimed at is a fairly recent trend. Collectibility is a big part of that I would think. It seems like the majority of the 'boutique' releases are either limited runs or come with a wild variety of 'sought-after' variants. This too isn't necessarily new, but it is currently done in excess, IMO.

I fondly remember the swift CD transition. For me and my circle of friends at the time it was the technology. Just a shiny new object that is digital and processes music with a laser light.
Old 11-20-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sort of like those super duper DVD sets we all bought and don't watch?
Old 11-20-14, 12:47 PM

Old 11-20-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if these are my cup of tea but Amazon currently has the new records by Flying Lotus and Aphex Twin for $11 each. They were a little over $10 yesterday so price is fluctuating.

If you like these, I'd jump on it. They had Bob Dylan's Tempest for $12 a couple weeks ago and it went back to $25 after like a week.
Old 11-20-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my TV On The Radio set the other day, and while it's super gorgeous, LP #2 has two Side D labels on it.
Old 11-20-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I asked the same thing nearly a month back, and no one seemed to want to give me an answer. I get it if someone actually enjoys listening to soundtracks, or if they have a somewhat disposable income to be able to afford buying things just for the sake of coolness, or collectibity. Otherwise, I don't understand it. Myself, these days, I can't afford to buy just any old thing I'd like to get, so I have to be extremely selective in what I do get.
Old 11-21-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you tell someone (who is a collector of things such as records) that it's "super-limited" or that they "won't be available long," there is a small but dedicated amount of vinyl enthusiasts that will immediately jump on something whether they want it or not. That's just the way it is. It also makes it more "special" if you happen to get one. I know that I really cherish when I get something rather limited that a significant portion of the vinyl-collecting-community wants. That being said, I don't buy things that I wouldn't want anyway. I have no interest in owning something just because it is limited. I have to actually want the release first. But again, that being said, if there is something limited that I want, I'm more likely to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

Sorry if some of that is a bit incoherent, I'm a little intoxicated at the moment.
Old 11-22-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trouble with a lot of vinyl since it's resurgence, is that many releases have been "limited" without ever being advertised that way. There are plenty of records I passed on picking up in the last 7 years, thinking I could just get later. Sadly, most of these are now out of print and go for either exorbitant amounts of money, or at least, more than I'm willing to pay for them.
Old 11-22-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Trouble with a lot of vinyl since it's resurgence, is that many releases have been "limited" without ever being advertised that way. There are plenty of records I passed on picking up in the last 7 years, thinking I could just get later. Sadly, most of these are now out of print and go for either exorbitant amounts of money, or at least, more than I'm willing to pay for them.
That's lame when that happens. In my case I haven't had many issues with experiences like this. I am interested in owning so little that I am able to keep tabs on what I want and am usually up-to-date with information concerning upcoming releases I want. Also, it helps that the only real "addiction" I have any more is vinyl. Also, I work in a record store, so you could say that I am at an advantage. But even before I started working in the record-selling industry my life revolved around the art that I like so that was where my attention was focused.

Also, I would like to clarify that I work at a "real" record store, meaning - not something like FYE or Target where there are 15 LPs in a corner somewhere.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.