Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Stupid question: do you guys actually listen to movie soundtracks or just buy them as collectibles?

I listen to them. They're way to expensive to just keep as collectibles - I want to get my money's worth. I crack open some craft beer or glass of wine and listen to the tunes.
Old 05-26-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Stupid question: do you guys actually listen to movie soundtracks or just buy them as collectibles?
You're right, kind of a stupid question, especially considering how expensive they can be. Having said that, yes, I tend to listen to soundtracks more than anything else.

In fact, I'd say around 60-65% of my 400+ vinyl collection is soundtracks.
Old 05-26-16, 12:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-sunlight.html

Anyone do this with Blackstar? I tried it with a normal light. Pretty cool. Not going to lie, I teared up. The first reports made it sound like sunlight permanently changed it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Didn't work on my clear vinyl copy. I notice that there's a star field on the left of the inside portion of the gatefold, so perhaps what's going on is that some copies were printed on thinner cardboard stock so the image of the star field could bleed through. The stock on my version is very thick and no light was getting through.
Old 05-26-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Didn't work on my clear vinyl copy. I notice that there's a star field on the left of the inside portion of the gatefold, so perhaps what's going on is that some copies were printed on thinner cardboard stock so the image of the star field could bleed through. The stock on my version is very thick and no light was getting through.
Worked on my clear and black. Just takes a strong light. I think sunlight isn't the way to go. I used an LED light from IKEA shining on the starfield. Went right through the cardboard. Wasn't even a dark room. Just late afternoon, a bit dim. The article is a little confusing.
Old 05-26-16, 12:30 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Worked on my clear and black. Just takes a strong light. I think sunlight isn't the way to go. I used an LED light from IKEA shining on the starfield. Went right through the cardboard. Wasn't even a dark room. Just late afternoon, a bit dim. The article is a little confusing.
I tried it in direct sunlight, but I'll try it another time with a strong artificial light.
Old 05-26-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
You're right, kind of a stupid question, especially considering how expensive they can be. Having said that, yes, I tend to listen to soundtracks more than anything else.

In fact, I'd say around 60-65% of my 400+ vinyl collection is soundtracks.
I think the opposite. People are willing to pay a premium for the package and not the music. I personally can't sit through many soundtracks - at least orchestral ones.

I have a few: Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, 2001, I'm Not There (awesome Dylan covers), La Dolce Vita (for the cover), Sorcerer (because it's Tangerine Dream).
Old 05-26-16, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

I rarely buy soundtracks as well, but I have the first three Halloween soundtracks, and the Mondo Mad Max soundtrack, as well as Inglorious Basterds. I still need to get Hateful Eight.
Old 05-26-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the topic of soundtracks, I have noticed that I have quite a few but I think because its those that get the special treatment. Not to mention some are my favorite movies and Im a collector freak. But I spin them regularly.

O Brother where Art thou? - Gift from my wife and its black and white color
Transformers Soundtrack - 30th Anniv RSD
Army of Darkness - LOVE the movie and wife got me the mondo release
Fury Road - LOVE this movie had to have that Mondo release

Wish I woulda gotten The Warriors!! Grrr
Old 05-27-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, I have Inside Llewyn Davis and Scott Pilgrim and Rock and Roll High School. I guess I focus most on soundtracks with rock and roll songs.
Old 05-27-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Wish I woulda gotten The Warriors!! Grrr
You can still buy a copy if you don't mind it being on regular ol' black wax.
Old 05-27-16, 10:50 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by islandclaws
You can still buy a copy if you don't mind it being on regular ol' black wax.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of this trend of crazy colored vinyl. Clear vinyl and black vinyl almost always sound better than colored vinyl.
Old 05-27-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you think that is? Doesn't all vinyl come from the same components?
Old 05-27-16, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

Vinyl is clear, and various materials are used to color it. The material used for black is usually the quietest. The material for white is usually the noisiest, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general black and clear vinyl will have less surface noise than any color.
Old 05-28-16, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Vinyl is clear, and various materials are used to color it. The material used for black is usually the quietest. The material for white is usually the noisiest, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general black and clear vinyl will have less surface noise than any color.
Did not know this. Thank you.
Old 06-08-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Interesting, I think I had heard before that colored vinyl (especially pic discs) are the worst quality. Almost like youre buying it for the novelty. Having said that, I am a whore for the colored vinyls and I wanted the Warriors Graffiti colored

Question:
How do I know when I need a new needle and this may be answered with the first question, but WHY do I need to replace the needle?
Old 06-08-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Normally I listen to them but there are a few that I have bought just for the novelty of having them to be honest. I bought the Bat shaped single of the opening and closing theme from Batman: The Animated Series that Mondo sold mostly just because I thought it was cool. They also did a run of SDCC exclusives that were the same tracks but on a 45 and with different artwork that I bought mostly just to have. Also the recent release of the Goosebumps soundtrack from Waxwork Records I picked up mostly because the artwork is cool.
Old 06-08-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So The Sounds' debut album is getting a vinyl release for the first time via Music on Vinyl in 180gram.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/...a#.V1jCzGZ9I7A

Then in July they're re-issuing their second LP in a 180g "audiophile" edition:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/...ay-this-to-you

I just preordered both albums via Amazon UK. They're the cheapest.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-08-16 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 07:50 PM

I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 that's less than a year old and the tone arm no longer returns fully to the rest. Instead it drops either between the rest and the record or back on the record, sometimes up to an inch in. I contacted Audio-Technica and they gave a fix to reset the cycle mechanism, but it didn't seem to do anything. Any one else ever have this issue and have a fix for it? I really don't want to have to bother with sending it in for a repair.

Follow up question, what's a decent upgrade that's not too expensive? Budget would only be a couple hundred. I would prefer an automatic turntable.
Old 06-09-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ordered this one from Discogs:

Old 06-09-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by so it goes
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 that's less than a year old and the tone arm no longer returns fully to the rest. Instead it drops either between the rest and the record or back on the record, sometimes up to an inch in. I contacted Audio-Technica and they gave a fix to reset the cycle mechanism, but it didn't seem to do anything. Any one else ever have this issue and have a fix for it? I really don't want to have to bother with sending it in for a repair.

Follow up question, what's a decent upgrade that's not too expensive? Budget would only be a couple hundred. I would prefer an automatic turntable.
If you can stretch your budget, maybe a Denon DP 300F. There's just not a lot of fully auto choices out there. We usually recommend the U Turn Orbit around here for a couple hundred.
Old 06-10-16, 12:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm happy with the Orbit.

What's the most y'all have paid for an album, used or new?

There's one in particular I'm after, and it looks like the cheapest I can get it is $100 plus shipping from a reseller on discogs. It's kind of a lot... But one of my favorites from a band I love.
Old 06-10-16, 01:17 AM
Banned by request

I believe I have one record I paid $250 for, an out of print first pressing of Meet The Residents that has a longer mix that's never been released on any format since that first pressing.

I also paid $75 or $80 for a first UK pressing of Roxy Music's For Your Pleasure, and about $85 for a first pressing of The Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat.

If you think it's worth it to you, $100 isn't the most you could spend in this hobby.
Old 06-10-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

$100 for a mint Blue Mitchell record. I bought a Kate Bush 3LP boot for $70. $30-50 is usually my high before feeling stupid.
Old 06-10-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm happy with the Orbit.

What's the most y'all have paid for an album, used or new?

There's one in particular I'm after, and it looks like the cheapest I can get it is $100 plus shipping from a reseller on discogs. It's kind of a lot... But one of my favorites from a band I love.

The Sounds: Dying To Say This To You. I paid about $75 shipped and brand new like 4 years ago. I still see it go for $100-$150 used online. The new re-issue is due out next month, so we'll see how much that version will eat up into the original pressing's profits. The next most expensive set I ever bought was Ghost's Meliora - Swedish boxed set import from Sweden. That was about $50 shipped. It's a phenomenal set, though.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-10-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to order this - just look at it!

Day of the Dead 10 LP Box (4AD.com)

Last edited by CRM114; 06-10-16 at 01:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.