Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 05-26-16, 10:40 AM
  #2351  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,349
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Stupid question: do you guys actually listen to movie soundtracks or just buy them as collectibles?


I listen to them. They're way to expensive to just keep as collectibles - I want to get my money's worth. I crack open some craft beer or glass of wine and listen to the tunes.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 11:01 AM
  #2352  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,058
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Stupid question: do you guys actually listen to movie soundtracks or just buy them as collectibles?
You're right, kind of a stupid question, especially considering how expensive they can be. Having said that, yes, I tend to listen to soundtracks more than anything else.

In fact, I'd say around 60-65% of my 400+ vinyl collection is soundtracks.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 12:08 PM
  #2353  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-sunlight.html

Anyone do this with Blackstar? I tried it with a normal light. Pretty cool. Not going to lie, I teared up. The first reports made it sound like sunlight permanently changed it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Didn't work on my clear vinyl copy. I notice that there's a star field on the left of the inside portion of the gatefold, so perhaps what's going on is that some copies were printed on thinner cardboard stock so the image of the star field could bleed through. The stock on my version is very thick and no light was getting through.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 12:19 PM
  #2354  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Didn't work on my clear vinyl copy. I notice that there's a star field on the left of the inside portion of the gatefold, so perhaps what's going on is that some copies were printed on thinner cardboard stock so the image of the star field could bleed through. The stock on my version is very thick and no light was getting through.
Worked on my clear and black. Just takes a strong light. I think sunlight isn't the way to go. I used an LED light from IKEA shining on the starfield. Went right through the cardboard. Wasn't even a dark room. Just late afternoon, a bit dim. The article is a little confusing.
MBoyd is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 12:30 PM
  #2355  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
Worked on my clear and black. Just takes a strong light. I think sunlight isn't the way to go. I used an LED light from IKEA shining on the starfield. Went right through the cardboard. Wasn't even a dark room. Just late afternoon, a bit dim. The article is a little confusing.
I tried it in direct sunlight, but I'll try it another time with a strong artificial light.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 01:22 PM
  #2356  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
You're right, kind of a stupid question, especially considering how expensive they can be. Having said that, yes, I tend to listen to soundtracks more than anything else.

In fact, I'd say around 60-65% of my 400+ vinyl collection is soundtracks.
I think the opposite. People are willing to pay a premium for the package and not the music. I personally can't sit through many soundtracks - at least orchestral ones.

I have a few: Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, 2001, I'm Not There (awesome Dylan covers), La Dolce Vita (for the cover), Sorcerer (because it's Tangerine Dream).
CRM114 is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 06:53 PM
  #2357  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I rarely buy soundtracks as well, but I have the first three Halloween soundtracks, and the Mondo Mad Max soundtrack, as well as Inglorious Basterds. I still need to get Hateful Eight.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-26-16, 08:10 PM
  #2358  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Re: The VINYL Thread!

On the topic of soundtracks, I have noticed that I have quite a few but I think because its those that get the special treatment. Not to mention some are my favorite movies and Im a collector freak. But I spin them regularly.

O Brother where Art thou? - Gift from my wife and its black and white color
Transformers Soundtrack - 30th Anniv RSD
Army of Darkness - LOVE the movie and wife got me the mondo release
Fury Road - LOVE this movie had to have that Mondo release

Wish I woulda gotten The Warriors!! Grrr
Ravenous is offline  
Old 05-27-16, 08:25 AM
  #2359  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Oh yeah, I have Inside Llewyn Davis and Scott Pilgrim and Rock and Roll High School. I guess I focus most on soundtracks with rock and roll songs.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 05-27-16, 10:38 AM
  #2360  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,058
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Wish I woulda gotten The Warriors!! Grrr
You can still buy a copy if you don't mind it being on regular ol' black wax.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 05-27-16, 10:50 AM
  #2361  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by islandclaws View Post
You can still buy a copy if you don't mind it being on regular ol' black wax.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of this trend of crazy colored vinyl. Clear vinyl and black vinyl almost always sound better than colored vinyl.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-27-16, 11:18 AM
  #2362  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,058
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Why do you think that is? Doesn't all vinyl come from the same components?
islandclaws is offline  
Old 05-27-16, 03:51 PM
  #2363  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Vinyl is clear, and various materials are used to color it. The material used for black is usually the quietest. The material for white is usually the noisiest, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general black and clear vinyl will have less surface noise than any color.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 07:23 PM
  #2364  
Senior Member
 
glasschicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 669
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Vinyl is clear, and various materials are used to color it. The material used for black is usually the quietest. The material for white is usually the noisiest, and the rest fall somewhere in between.

There are exceptions to the rule, but in general black and clear vinyl will have less surface noise than any color.
Did not know this. Thank you.
glasschicken is offline  
Old 06-08-16, 12:15 PM
  #2365  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A National Park
Posts: 4,964
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Interesting, I think I had heard before that colored vinyl (especially pic discs) are the worst quality. Almost like youre buying it for the novelty. Having said that, I am a whore for the colored vinyls and I wanted the Warriors Graffiti colored

Question:
How do I know when I need a new needle and this may be answered with the first question, but WHY do I need to replace the needle?
Ravenous is offline  
Old 06-08-16, 12:53 PM
  #2366  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,440
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Stupid question: do you guys actually listen to movie soundtracks or just buy them as collectibles?
Normally I listen to them but there are a few that I have bought just for the novelty of having them to be honest. I bought the Bat shaped single of the opening and closing theme from Batman: The Animated Series that Mondo sold mostly just because I thought it was cool. They also did a run of SDCC exclusives that were the same tracks but on a 45 and with different artwork that I bought mostly just to have. Also the recent release of the Goosebumps soundtrack from Waxwork Records I picked up mostly because the artwork is cool.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 06-08-16, 08:26 PM
  #2367  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,349
Re: The VINYL Thread!

So The Sounds' debut album is getting a vinyl release for the first time via Music on Vinyl in 180gram.

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/...a#.V1jCzGZ9I7A

Then in July they're re-issuing their second LP in a 180g "audiophile" edition:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/...ay-this-to-you




I just preordered both albums via Amazon UK. They're the cheapest.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-08-16 at 09:01 PM.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-09-16, 07:50 PM
  #2368  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: W.Mass
Posts: 302
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 that's less than a year old and the tone arm no longer returns fully to the rest. Instead it drops either between the rest and the record or back on the record, sometimes up to an inch in. I contacted Audio-Technica and they gave a fix to reset the cycle mechanism, but it didn't seem to do anything. Any one else ever have this issue and have a fix for it? I really don't want to have to bother with sending it in for a repair.

Follow up question, what's a decent upgrade that's not too expensive? Budget would only be a couple hundred. I would prefer an automatic turntable.
so it goes is offline  
Old 06-09-16, 11:36 PM
  #2369  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,349
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Ordered this one from Discogs:

Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-09-16, 11:55 PM
  #2370  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by so it goes View Post
I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 that's less than a year old and the tone arm no longer returns fully to the rest. Instead it drops either between the rest and the record or back on the record, sometimes up to an inch in. I contacted Audio-Technica and they gave a fix to reset the cycle mechanism, but it didn't seem to do anything. Any one else ever have this issue and have a fix for it? I really don't want to have to bother with sending it in for a repair.

Follow up question, what's a decent upgrade that's not too expensive? Budget would only be a couple hundred. I would prefer an automatic turntable.
If you can stretch your budget, maybe a Denon DP 300F. There's just not a lot of fully auto choices out there. We usually recommend the U Turn Orbit around here for a couple hundred.
MBoyd is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 12:04 AM
  #2371  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: \_(ツ)_/
Posts: 20,139
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I'm happy with the Orbit.


What's the most y'all have paid for an album, used or new?

There's one in particular I'm after, and it looks like the cheapest I can get it is $100 plus shipping from a reseller on discogs. It's kind of a lot... But one of my favorites from a band I love.
Dan is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 01:17 AM
  #2372  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I believe I have one record I paid $250 for, an out of print first pressing of Meet The Residents that has a longer mix that's never been released on any format since that first pressing.

I also paid $75 or $80 for a first UK pressing of Roxy Music's For Your Pleasure, and about $85 for a first pressing of The Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat.

If you think it's worth it to you, $100 isn't the most you could spend in this hobby.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 08:48 AM
  #2373  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The VINYL Thread!

$100 for a mint Blue Mitchell record. I bought a Kate Bush 3LP boot for $70. $30-50 is usually my high before feeling stupid.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 10:02 AM
  #2374  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,349
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm happy with the Orbit.


What's the most y'all have paid for an album, used or new?

There's one in particular I'm after, and it looks like the cheapest I can get it is $100 plus shipping from a reseller on discogs. It's kind of a lot... But one of my favorites from a band I love.

The Sounds: Dying To Say This To You. I paid about $75 shipped and brand new like 4 years ago. I still see it go for $100-$150 used online. The new re-issue is due out next month, so we'll see how much that version will eat up into the original pressing's profits. The next most expensive set I ever bought was Ghost's Meliora - Swedish boxed set import from Sweden. That was about $50 shipped. It's a phenomenal set, though.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-10-16 at 12:33 PM.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 06-10-16, 10:38 AM
  #2375  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The VINYL Thread!

I had to order this - just look at it!

Day of the Dead 10 LP Box (4AD.com)


Last edited by CRM114; 06-10-16 at 01:35 PM.
CRM114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.