Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Old 12-02-19, 09:02 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Got what I wanted

Lou Reed
Tony Joe White
Hank Williams 45
Kinks 45
Old 12-02-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Dropped a little over a hundred bucks...

Joe Satriani - "Surfing with the Alien"

The second LP in this 2-LP set, which is the same as the first LP minus the solos, is kind of a waste, but it didn't seem to increase the price much, so I can't complain. And the red and yellow LPs look pretty sharp and match the cover art. Speaking of the cover art, I wonder if Marvel made them take the Silver Surfer off of it, they didn't want to pony up for royalties.

Runaways - "Live in Japan"

I haven't listened to his yet, but I think I got the only copy the store got.

Pearl Jam - "Unplugged"

Great album, and gives my Nirvana Unplugged LP a new friend. I think there's also an Alice in Chains Unplugged album, too, I might need to get.

Slipknot - "All Out of Life/Unsainted" 7"

Non-LP track that I needed to get to go with my vinyl copy of the new Slipknot album. Sort of disappointed with the picture disc; I was hoping it was going to be all clear or something, but it's just plain black with the graphics in a white square.

Venom - "Manitou" 7"

Very sharp-looking. Cool item to have, though it's my only Venom on vinyl. I wish I could go back in time and buy up all of these classic albums on vinyl when they were still available.

Dio - "Rainbow in the Dark"

Live 2002 version of the song; I probably would have preferred an older one, but it's still good. Not sure about the artwork; seems a little too polished and modern, but oh well.

I'm actually quite shocked that I found everything I wanted. Helped that I got there early and stood in line freezing my ass off.

Old 12-03-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Isn’t that second Satriani lp meant for guitarists to play along with? I remember reading that about one of the rsd releases, at least.
Old 12-04-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,975 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Isnít that second Satriani lp meant for guitarists to play along with? I remember reading that about one of the rsd releases, at least.
Yes, I think so.

And, unless you're one of the few guitarists on Satch's level, it's a waste. But, like I said, I don't think it raised the price of the LP set (I paid something in the $25 range for it) so it's no harm, no foul.
Old 12-04-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 425 Likes on 300 Posts

got my Benmont and Bruce 45's and grabbed the Doors as well.
Old 12-14-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 215 Posts

Happy fucking 40th to London Calling. Spinning that right now.
Old 12-18-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In 1998, Saint Etienne did the soundtrack for a Parker Posey movie called The Misadventures of Margaret. The producers saw an early cut of the film and decided they wanted a traditional orchestral score instead. So Saint Etienne's music was dropped from the movie almost entirely. The band weren't allowed to distribute the music in Europe or North America at all, and in Asia only if they didn't reference the film in any way. Thus, the music ended up as a Japanese-only CD called The Misadventures of Saint Etienne. Because the CD is long out of print and now routinely sells for over $100, the band decided to get the rights back, and a couple weeks ago they released 500 copies on vinyl - 250 in black and 250 in white:

As a bonus, orders for this record, or any order over £20 off their store, included a signed Christmas card with two new Christmas songs on CD! Nice!
Old 01-06-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

So who all uses Discogs, specifically their "want list" function?

I swear, that's gonna drive me to the poorhouse. You get a daily e-mail with "new items for sale from your want list". Now a lot of times I can ignore it, 'cuz it's a "common" title I know I'll eventually find at one of my local stores at an acceptable price (example, Nick Gilder's "City Nights" or Josie Cotton's "Convertible Music", both I'm sure I'll find locally at some point). But at least once or twice a week it'll be some rarity that I know won't show up in the used bin at one of my haunts, or if it does it'll be way overpriced. Two recent examples: Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown, 180g pressing. While I know I can find it at least half a dozen stores, it's always priced at $25 or $30. Last week one came up on Discogs for $13 with just $3 shipping. Damn near half price. Then an album by the Colorado indie band Dressy Bessy for a mere $6. I know a local copy would cost at least 3x that much.

but all these "cheap" Discogs records add up....
Old 01-06-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Discogs to catalog and to add wish-list items, I get the daily emails, I always look and sometimes bite...

I've ramped up so much vinyl the past 3 years that i am now pressing the pause button, must have purchases only, but we know how long that will last...
Old 01-06-20, 12:45 PM

I use Discogs all the time. Though I prefer the website to the app they launched.

Great at cataloging and tracking in general. I don't have my entire collection catalogued but am slowly but surely adding items.

The completeness of the site amazes me -- a great community of enthusiasts.
Old 01-06-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been helpful in finding British 12" singles from the 80s.

I really don't like singles; you drop the needle, grab a seat on the couch to listen, three minutes later you have get right back up. But a lot of those bands put songs on the B-sides that weren't on the album. And with the bands long defunct, this is the only way to get new material from them.
Old 01-09-20, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

Vinyl collectors be cray-cray!

The most expensive item sold on discogs for November was an obscure funk single from 1970; "Sweet Memories" by Robert Tanner, and it sold for $4,600 - that's a 7" 45 single!
Old 01-10-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"cray-cray" is right. Last year I bought a 1981 power pop LP for $49, and took a looooong time to decide if I wanted to spend that much on an old record (it was factory sealed, literally a 40-year old virgin....well, 38)
Old 01-12-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
"cray-cray" is right. Last year I bought a 1981 power pop LP for $49, and took a looooong time to decide if I wanted to spend that much on an old record (it was factory sealed, literally a 40-year old virgin....well, 38)
What was it?
Old 01-12-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
What was it?
"Direct Hits", the only LP by The Michael Guthrie Band.

It's a good album, not great, but it wasn't a major label release so even used copies exceed $30 on average, on Discogs. The chances of me finding it cheap locally were slim-to-none. To drop the extra $20 to get a pristine never-played copy wasn't that difficult of a decision, but I still thought about it for a bit

Old 01-13-20, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm never sure whether to post here, or in the Albums Bought thread. But over the weekend I went to a relatively new store near me that deals in used music, Jupiter Records and Tapes. It's an offshoot of Folk Arts Rare Records; when they buy a vinyl collection the desirable titles go to Folk Arts and get priced accordingly, the rest get dumped to Jupiter where all records are 5 bucks. So if you want a copy of Black and Blue by the Rolling Stones, you'll probably find it at Jupiter. If you're looking for Exile on Main Street, that one will be at Folk Arts. I think some things slip through the cracks though; I found the debut album by The Records this weekend, and the clerk was "where was this??", and it was right in the stacks for anyone to purchase. Anyway, over the weekend I picked up:

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
The Records - S/T w/ bonus 7" single
Lindsey Buckingham - Law and Order
The Beckies - S/T
The Bongos - Beat Hotel (sealed!)
Catch my Soul - OST
The Kinks - Misfits
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk *
Billy Joel - The Stranger *
George Carlin - A Place for my Stuff *

* - records I already owned, but want a copy in better condition
Old 01-16-20, 12:10 PM

Sounds like a cool setup. For $5 are they generally in good shape (VG+, etc.)? That Records album can be tough to come by with the EP (not to mention for $5).

Speaking of power pop, I recently picked up a few as well -- The Beat, The Shoes and The Late Show. I assume you're already familiar but worth seeking out if not.
Old 01-16-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Sounds like a cool setup. For $5 are they generally in good shape (VG+, etc.)?
They vary. Check before you buy (there's listening stations), 'cuz they have a no-return policy. The copy of Black and Blue I got is not too good, I might have to get another. A Place for my Stuff was fine for side 1, but side 2 was literally caked with dirt. Should have inspected both sides, that's on me. But it cleaned off well enough and it's playable, and it's only a comedy album anyway. Interestingly, it's the second time I bought that record there, the first one looked fine but I got home and the needle jumped all over the place, it immediately went into the trash. And that copy of Beat Hotel was factory sealed, so it's literally in perfect condition, not in NM+, it's M.

That Records album can be tough to come by with the EP (not to mention for $5).
Hence the surprise of the clerk. So I think some records that rate over $5 slip through the cracks.

Speaking of power pop, I recently picked up a few as well -- The Beat, The Shoes and The Late Show. I assume you're already familiar but worth seeking out if not.
Which records? The Beat's debut record is pretty much perfection, after that they're still good but not end-to-end good like the first one. Everyone props up Present Tense by Shoes, but for my money Boomerang is their finest moment. That's another one you can go throughout the whole record and not find a weak song on either side.
Old 01-16-20, 03:04 PM

Which records? The Beat's debut record is pretty much perfection, after that they're still good but not end-to-end good like the first one. Everyone props up Present Tense by Shoes, but for my money Boomerang is their finest moment. That's another one you can go throughout the whole record and not find a weak song on either side.
The Beat's debut (agree it's killer) and actually both Present Tense and Boomerang. I'm with you and I give Boomerang the edge.
Old 01-16-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Beat's debut (agree it's killer)
One of the highlights of 2017 for me was a Paul Collins show at a local dive bar. You never know what you're going to get with a Paul Collins show; there is no permanent "Beat" anymore, he just recruits a band he likes to be The Beat for that particular tour. The results may vary. At this show, I was dismayed at first that it was just Paul and an acoustic guitar (also that there was only about 15 people there, including the bar staff). But he did a "behind the music" kind of show, where he explained the origins of damn near every song on that debut album before playing a solo version of it. An amazing night.
Old 01-26-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I swear, I'm gonna go bankrupt with the "cheap" records at Jupiter. They ain't cheap if you walk in and grab 10 or more every single time. Yesterday's haul:

C.S. (Comsat) Angels - Land
Altered Images - Bite
Altered Images - Happy Birthday
Guadalcanal Diary - Flip Flop
The Atlantics - Big City Rock
Spizzles - Spiky Dream Flowers
Hunters and Collectors - Fate
The Swimming Pool Q's - S/T
The Swimming Pool Q's - Blue Tomorrow
The Swimming Pool Q's - World War Two Point Five
Fleetwood Mac - Heroes are Hard to Find
Christine McVie S/T
Old 01-27-20, 02:03 PM

I swear, I'm gonna go bankrupt with the "cheap" records at Jupiter. They ain't cheap if you walk in and grab 10 or more every single time. Yesterday's haul:

C.S. (Comsat) Angels - Land
Altered Images - Bite
Altered Images - Happy Birthday
Guadalcanal Diary - Flip Flop
The Atlantics - Big City Rock
Spizzles - Spiky Dream Flowers
Hunters and Collectors - Fate
The Swimming Pool Q's - S/T
The Swimming Pool Q's - Blue Tomorrow
The Swimming Pool Q's - World War Two Point Five
Fleetwood Mac - Heroes are Hard to Find
Christine McVie S/T
Nice haul. Altered Images and Guadalcanal Diary Watusi Rodeo is one of my favorite songs from the era.

Not familiar with The Atlantics, Spizzles, Hunters and Collectors and The Swimming Pool Q's. You're my source for forgotten power pop and new wave so I'll have to check them out.
Old 01-27-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice haul. Altered Images and Guadalcanal Diary Watusi Rodeo is one of my favorite songs from the era.

Not familiar with The Atlantics, Spizzles, Hunters and Collectors and The Swimming Pool Q's. You're my source for forgotten power pop and new wave so I'll have to check them out.
Guadalcanal Diary's best (reviewed) album is their third, 2x4. This was their 4th and final, and I'd thought they only had three, so it was a bonus for me. I had heard the song "Almost Saturday" though.
The Atlantics were a Boston band, this was their only release other than appearing on some comps. I liked those songs, so this was a $5 no-brainer. Listened to it today getting ready for work and it's damn good.
Spizzles had the annoying gimmick of changing the band name for every release, hence Spizzles, Spizzoil, Spizzenergi, and Athletico Spizz '80. Their most famous song is a fun punky number called "Where's Captain Kirk", which they performed amazingly in the concert film Urgh! A Music War. (Soundtrack to Urgh is a necessity in any new wave music fan's collection)
The Swimming Pool Q's selections were interesting: I listen to a great 80s podcast ("80s Underground Podcasts" on the Podomatic app....check it out, it's free), and I heard a good song from the self-titled release. Decided to dig for it, and as I worked my way through the massive "S" section, I came up with the other two records, and put them aside. By the time I finally found the self-titled record, I decided to keep the other two anyway, figuring if I like the one album, it's worth the extra $10 and saving another trip to the store to get the rest.
Oh, and the Altered Images records were MINT (a rarity in this store). Even though I already own Pinky Blue, I think I should have gotten the one they had just to have one in such good condition.

Last edited by Paff; 01-27-20 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Altered Images
Old 01-27-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I just got this from Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Bow-Wow-Wow-...elease/2975478

Apparently it was a 60-minute program sent out to radio stations for broadcast, featuring interviews mixed in with Bow Wow Wow songs. A lot of radio programs (like The King Biscuit Flower Hour) were sent out on vinyl like this. There are some King Biscuit recordings I'd love to have.

Does anyone remember King Biscuit? Man, that was something you literally looked forward to all week if it was a band you liked, and getting a high-quality live recording was a real treasure. If you were diligent, you'd self-edit the broadcast to bypass the commercials.
Old 02-04-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I got the Bow Wow Wow record. It's kinda fun (even though I already have the songs in my collection) in a behind-the-scenes way, where you have this vinyl record that was only meant for radio airplay and not the general consumer.

What I really noticed was a stark honesty from the interviewees, that you would never see today. In our internet-connected world, the contents of this interview would be available immediately and globally, so they'd choose their words much more carefully. But since this was intended for US-audiences only, they (Matthew Ashman and Annabella Lwin, by the way) seem to have no problems describing London as "boring", or how Adam Ant is "simply not any good". I was pretty shocked at how they openly slagged people.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.