DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Michelle Shocked has lost her mind (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/609440-michelle-shocked-has-lost-her-mind.html)

Traxan 03-18-13 06:32 PM

Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

source

Michelle Shocked committed career suicide last night at a club appearance in San Francisco. The “Texas troubadour” displayed some red state intolerance when she announced from the stage that “God hates ****.” Apparently the former skateboard punk wasn’t kidding.

Meow.com reports:

Michelle Shocked, known for living up to her surname, cleared out San Francisco club Yoshi’s last night, and shut down the venue, after she went on an anti-gay tirade, which she summed up by saying, ”You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates ****.’”

And they did.
Yes, according to folks who were there – and Twitter – she really did say this – in San Francisco of all places!

“She said she lives in fear that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry,” tweeted one audience member.

A visit to Shocked’s website indicates she’s on a West Coast tour, which includes Portland and Seattle. I’m betting ticket holders will be asking for refunds. I fucking hope so.

I tried calling Shocked’s representative, Cary Baker, but got his voice mail. If you’d like to let him and Shocked know what you think, give him a call. His number is on Shocked’s website.

Update: Cary Baker has addressed the issue: “I have not worked with Michelle Shocked in four years,” he said via email. Told that he’s still listed on her website, Baker said “I am aware of that and I have asked her to change it immediately. A horrible comment and the last thing I need after a sleepless week at SXSW.”

Shocked’s Wikipedia entry has been updated to to reflect current events. Check it out here.

Josh-da-man 03-18-13 07:04 PM

Re: Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

I probably haven't thought of her in twenty years, and all I really remember was a song called "On the Greener Side" or something, but I was always under the impression she was a lesbian.

Jason 03-18-13 07:06 PM

I remember the name, but can't even remember what she sounds like, except for having mentally filed her under the general category called "crap".

Sounds like somebody is struggling for relevance and notoriety.

Eddie W 03-18-13 08:37 PM

I thought "Short, Sharp, Shocked" & "Captain Swing" were a fantastic albums back in the day. But I too thought she was surely a lesbian. Apparently she's become a born-again Christian. And has undergone the appropriate makeover:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hockedCrop.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/07/07/07...62/628x471.jpg

gogogo31 03-18-13 08:44 PM

Horrendously disappointing, but based on how much I care about the artist in question, it's not as severe a disappointment as learning that Moe Tucker of The Velvet Underground became a mouth-foaming Tea Partier(!!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Tucker#Personal_life

Tarantino 03-18-13 09:35 PM

Who the fuck is Michelle Shocked?

cungar 03-18-13 09:43 PM

This must be one of those reverse psychological reaction things. According to Wiki

Sexuality

Shocked performing in 2010
Shocked put forward an ambiguous sexuality from the beginning of her career. Her music appealed to many people including lesbians. In 1989 she joked to a US broadcast television audience that the New Music Album of the Year award she won, beating out Tracy Chapman, Phranc, and the Indigo Girls, should have been called "Best Lesbian Vocalist".[5] After an Earth Day performance in Chicago in April 1990, she gave an interview to Christie L. Nordhielm of Outlines, a Chicago newspaper for the gay community. Accompanied by journalist Bart Bull, she told Nordhielm she felt boxed in by listener expectations that she was either straight or gay; she said, "I would like a much broader definition for myself."[2] She explained her wish to be politically and sexually subversive by saying, "I resent like hell that I was maybe 18 years old before I even heard the 'L' word. I mean, that's understood, growing up sheltered in a Mormon environment. But it would have made all the difference for me had I grown up knowing that the reason I didn't fit in, was because they hadn't told me there were more categories to fit into."[2] She said she did not condone the outing activities engaged in by members of ACT UP.[2] Since then, Shocked has been listed as lesbian or bisexual.[6][7]

On March 17, 2013, Shocked spoke out against gays during a concert at Yoshi's nightclub in San Francisco, which led to the audience leaving in protest and the management shutting the club down.[8][9] At least two venues cancelled scheduled performances in response to Shocked's remarks.[10]

sherm42 03-18-13 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11619738)

Seconded.

Giles 03-18-13 09:56 PM

guess she REALLY wants her fifteen minutes worth of fame again. sad, just sad, she'd have to gay-bash to do so. guess I'll find my copy of Captain Swing and burn it.

here's more of what she said:

Here's more from the Bay Area Reporter on the incident this weekend:
One woman shouted: "Don't say that shit in San Francisco."

Shocked replied, "Where do I go to say it?”

In response to audience reaction, Shocked offered a Spanish prayer that "God loves you. God loves us. God loves us all everywhere." Later, in English, she said: "God bless us everyone."

Many fans questioned the singer out loud: "What are you saying?"

With a broad smile, Shocked said. "You are going to leave here and tell people 'Michelle Shocked said God hates *******.'"

By that point, much of the audience had walked out in disgust, and Yoshi's management later cut the mics and turned on the lights, as Shocked continued to perform.

gogogo31 03-18-13 10:17 PM

Considering the timing, it's like this weird trade-off with the right-wingers: "Okay, on this issue, we'll take the gently stated conversion to sensibleness of your formerly staunchly anti-gay politician, Sen. Rob Portman, and YOU can have...the incredible freakout of has-been quasi-lesbian folksinger Michelle Shocked." When I think about how it went down and who actually has any power or influence between those two, I'm actually okay with it. ;)

gogogo31 03-18-13 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11619738)

Well, I'd think with the Internet at our fingertips you could've easily answered that, but here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Shocked

Supermallet 03-18-13 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by gogogo31 (Post 11619695)
Horrendously disappointing, but based on how much I care about the artist in question, it's not as severe a disappointment as learning that Moe Tucker of The Velvet Underground became a mouth-foaming Tea Partier(!!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Tucker#Personal_life

Well that I did not realize. Disappointing.

windom 03-18-13 10:43 PM

God hates asterisks?

Tarantino 03-18-13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by gogogo31 (Post 11619780)
Well, I'd think with the Internet at our fingertips you could've easily answered that, but here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Shocked

I'm aware of the Google machine. I didn't care enough to use it on this idiot bigot.

gogogo31 03-18-13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11619854)
I'm aware of the Google machine. I didn't care enough to use it.

But you DID care enough to pipe in...? Someone either has too much time on their hands or enjoys the sound of their own online voice just a tad too much....

Supermallet 03-18-13 11:47 PM

Welcome to DVD Talk.

foofighters7 03-18-13 11:57 PM

^
thanks again Gogogo13,

Man, you totally nailed Tarantino! WHOA!!!! I wonder if he's pissing himself right now wondering what he should do to get hand around here again!

You really laid him out. NOT IN THIS TOWN! YEAH!!

We are lucky to have such a ..........person like you bitching about people's post!

Keep bringing the nails!

No one escapes your sharp wit!

Oh, and I don't care who she is. She can commit suicide all she wants. I think EVERYONE....EVERYONE gogogo can...CAN kill themselves...KILL THEMSELVES.. by any means they choose career or otherwise.

gogogo31 03-19-13 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11619877)
^
thanks again Gogogo13,

Man, you totally nailed Tarantino! WHOA!!!! I wonder if he's pissing himself right now wondering what he should do to get hand around here again!

You really laid him out. NOT IN THIS TOWN! YEAH!!

We are lucky to have such a ..........person like you bitching about people's post!

Keep bringing the nails!

No one escapes your sharp wit!

Oh, and I don't care who she is. She can commit suicide all she wants. I think EVERYONE....EVERYONE gogogo can...CAN kill themselves...KILL THEMSELVES.. by any means they choose career or otherwise.

You reveal so much more about your own rage, aggression, combativeness, and petty mindset here than anything you want to imply about me.... I'm not participating in your little imagined king-of-the-board contest, so you'll just have to settle for running and judging that all by your lonesome. The snark and intrusive smallness and mudslinging, however, are unwelcome to me as a member of this board; I'm here for the long haul, and I'll be calling them out any time I see them, that's all. Which is to say, you may feel I'm being aggressive, but all I'm doing is pointing out other people's pointless aggression and wasteful hijacking of threads. If you don't care to hear it, just save your indulgence of aggressive/petty impulses for your own topics instead of using them to ruin other people's exchanges. Maybe that's harder for some than for others, but that's your problem, not mine.

If you want a private echo chamber to vent whatever, whenever, with no backtalk (tyrannical much?), that's easily done; anyone can make their own online world where they're in charge of who's there and who participates. Otherwise, other people are here, too, so a modicum of consideration is in order, and inconsideration won't go unnoticed or unremarked upon. It's foolish to expect that unless you're in a closed group.

foofighters7 03-19-13 12:33 AM

:lol:

Cool rambling bro!

Lt Ripley 03-19-13 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by gogogo31 (Post 11619891)
You reveal so much more about your own rage, aggression, combativeness, and petty mindset here than anything you want to imply about me.... I'm not participating in your little imagined king-of-the-board contest, so you'll just have to settle for running and judging that all by your lonesome. The snark and intrusive smallness and mudslinging, however, are unwelcome to me as a member of this board; I'm here for the long haul, and I'll be calling them out any time I see them, that's all. Which is to say, you may feel I'm being aggressive, but all I'm doing is pointing out other people's pointless aggression and wasteful hijacking of threads. If you don't care to hear it, just save your indulgence of aggressive/petty impulses for your own topics instead of using them to ruin other people's exchanges. Maybe that's harder for some than for others, but that's your problem, not mine.

If you want a private echo chamber to vent whatever, whenever, with no backtalk (tyrannical much?), that's easily done; anyone can make their own online world where they're in charge of who's there and who participates. Otherwise, other people are here, too, so a modicum of consideration is in order, and inconsideration won't go unnoticed or unremarked upon. It's foolish to expect that unless you're in a closed group.

So are you basically telling Tarantino and Foo that only you can be condescending to others? You are acting just like them.

EDIT: I think Shocked may have an appointment with the loony bin coming her way.

gogogo31 03-19-13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 11619900)
You are acting just like them.

Demonstrably untrue. And nobody is being "allowed" to or "disallowed" from doing anything, here; they and I are free to say whatever and accept the consequences. I'm ASKING for some consideration and respect and stating that I won't be scared to say in no uncertain terms when I think it's getting inconsiderate and aggressive and ugly, but I know full well I don't have any authority in the matter.

UNlike them, I am not pushing and barging my way into threads for the purpose of announcing my indifference, competitiveness, and spite. All I'm doing is commenting on rudeness and bad behavior, and the rude/badly behaving ones don't like it because, evidently, they're used to their belligerence being applauded or sliding by.

Lt Ripley 03-19-13 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by gogogo31 (Post 11619913)
Demonstrably untrue. And nobody is being "allowed" to or "disallowed" from doing anything, here; they and I are free to say whatever and accept the consequences. I'm ASKING for some consideration and respect and stating that I won't be scared to say in no uncertain terms when I think it's getting inconsiderate and aggressive and ugly, but I know full well I don't have any authority in the matter.

UNlike them, I am not pushing and barging my way into threads for the purpose of announcing my indifference, competitiveness, and spite. All I'm doing is commenting on rudeness and bad behavior, and the rude/badly behaving ones don't like it because, evidently, they're used to their belligerence being applauded or sliding by.

What you just said is extremely contradictory to what you said to others in the "Hottest chicks" thread. You freely admitted that intent means nothing to you. That is a glaring weakness in personality. And that weakness is a choice.

When Occam's razor gets to chopping away at your words and gets down to the basics, you are acting just like them.

bluetoast 03-19-13 01:02 AM

Asking who she in this context can be construed as a jab at her irrelevance, which the poster may assume is a notion that is shared by others (as it was here) due to the fact that the subject is not a well known public figure and is making headlines. It's not a literal invitation to a Google search. These social cues (and more) may also be applied to real life conversations.

Lt Ripley 03-19-13 01:04 AM

:lol: When I first read the title of the thread I was thinking who is that.

gogogo31 03-19-13 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley (Post 11619917)
What you just said is extremely contradictory to what you said to others in the "Hottest chicks" thread. You freely admitted that intent means nothing to you. That is a glaring weakness in personality. And that weakness is a choice.

When Occam's razor gets to chopping away at your words and gets down to the basics, you are acting just like them.

When the results are destructive and disruptive, no, I don't care what the intention is. You "intended" (supposedly) to just be funny, and it came out as an exclusionary jab at someone else's post, when all were invited to post? Then no, your intention is not going to keep me from saying you were being aggressive and demeaning and rude. In what way did what I just said contradict this?

Speaking of which, you contradict your own expressed distaste for condescension in this post. I'm judging nobody's personality, because I have no way of knowing their personality (your presumptuousness is breathtaking, I assure you). I'm pointing out when their specific words and actions are pushing other people aside and turning things ugly when they don't need to be.