Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 04:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Michelle Shocked has lost her mind

Originally Posted by gogogo31
Where on earth did I ever say that?
Re-read your statements.

As for the rest of it, go back to my first post in the thread and start over. We will just go around in circles.
Old 03-19-13, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Re-read your statements.

As for the rest of it, go back to my first post in the thread and start over. We will just go around in circles.
I do re-read my statements. Before I post them. Always. As far as I'm concerned, your accusation is unsubstantiated if you refuse to tell me where I said that. All I can see you trying to say is not to talk back to these people because they're not used to having their poor behavior pointed out. Perhaps in the guise of its having no effect on them, but it's not them personally that I care about; I have no doubt they'll continue to rampage as they're accustomed to, but maybe there can be some shred of counterbalance somewhere, some other voice besides the status-quo arrogant, nasty ones who apparently have their run of the place and go ballistic when someone points out their arrogance and nastiness.

And no, no need to go around in circles; I get what you're saying, reject your take on what I'm doing and your advice, and will no longer respond to you on this topic. I'm glad you said your piece, but I don't accept what you're telling me or your seeming suggestion that I just sit silently by while people ruin threads for their own amusement or insult other people. I have paid attention to what you have to say, I appreciate your (mostly) respectful tone, but no, I don't think you get it, and I am absolutely not convinced you're not blinkered from your long-running familiarity with the people whose rudeness I took issue with. (I like the way you minimized his out-of-nowhere "Who the fuck is Michelle Shocked?" and the way he EDITED his second comment after I responded to it, which is telling when it comes to your credibility and just how seriously I should take what you're saying as being in good faith.) What you're saying doesn't jibe with the reality of what I saw go down, so I'm going to continue to comment as appropriate when people try to drive threads off the road or are malicious. Not because I imagine it will bring them into line (the opposite, probably), but because it's all I can do to at least not leave that stuff unquestioned, and to leave a trace for other newbies or more considerate, less pushy, belligerent, and narcissistic members that it's not always so monolithic and nepotistic here.
Old 03-19-13, 04:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gogogo31
(I like the way you minimized his out-of-nowhere "Who the fuck is Michelle Shocked?" and the way he EDITED his second comment after I responded to it, which is telling when it comes to your credibility and just how seriously I should take what you're saying as being in good faith.) What you're saying doesn't jibe with the reality of what I saw go down, so I'm going to continue to comment as appropriate when people try to drive threads off the road or are malicious.
You can keep responding to me, I am not angry at you. You were acting the same way they were. What is the part he edited out? I jumped in the thread an hour after it shows he edited it. If there was something worse, you may have more leeway for your anger. When I jumped on, all I saw on his second post is "I'm aware of the Google machine. I didn't care enough to use it on this idiot bigot." That was the only part of his statement you quoted as well. You quoted that 15 minutes prior to his editing of the post. So something is missing. When I jumped on, I saw you getting out of sorts over "Who the fuck is Michelle Shocked?" and I couldn't wrap my brain around how that made you so angry.

I will respond to the rest sometime tomorrow. Going to sleep. Like your new sig by the way.
Old 03-19-13, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who the fuck is gogogo31?

Old 03-19-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I came in here expecting to read about some crazy broad I've never heard of. This is more enjoyable.
Old 03-19-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Is it really suprising that someone who chooses to call herself Michelle Shocked is a bit mentally unbalanced?
Old 03-19-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd like to thank gogogo31 for breathing some new life into the music forum. Think you can spice up Book Talk next? Just look for any threads with wm Lopez posts.
Old 03-19-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by auto

No shit. And if he/she hates "Who the fuck is...." threads, he/she may want to stay out of the SNL threads.
Old 03-19-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
and as a gay man, I was not trying to be insulting... but in the day I used to mix her and k.d. lang in the late 80s/early 90s before k.d. really took off and left Michelle in the dust in terms of fame
Yeah at one time she was a 'contender' and I placed her in the same category as k.d. Well, good for her for speaking her mind!
Old 03-19-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

This is great now Michelle Shocked can team up with Victoria Jackson and make some horrible music together.
Old 03-19-13, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
You got angry at Tarantino asking who Shocked is.

You did the sarcastic "google" response.

He responded, calling Shocked an idiot bigot while doing so, that he knows what google is.

If you would have left it there, no problem in the thread.

Then you got smarmy with Tarantino

Foo, the loon he is, thanked you for being the moral pillar of the forum.

Anger unfurled.

The rest is our discussion.

As for you wanting only comments on here to be the way you want them to be... I wouldn't really know where to start.

EDIT: My homosexual reference was do to the original content of the Shocked story. The bitterness you showed would have been relevant if a forum member would have ridiculed homosexuals. But showing that much anger and distaste over "who" and "I know what google is"... I mean come on.
I am shocked. SHOCKED, that you would call me such inflammatory names! How dare you sir!

On topic though. So gogogone is raving against the world and has specifically turned his ire toward 'Terrible Tarantino', 'Lunatic Lt. Ripley' and 'Foo Loon'. Oh and he was bitching at 'Krazy Ky-fi' in the hottest chick in music thread (along with me again...lol)

WHO'S NEXT? CAN ANYONE OF US ESCAPE HIS WRATH?!

I think we should send him over to start posting on Youtube Videos and see how that goes.

Last edited by foofighters7; 03-19-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by auto

Old 03-19-13, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tl;dr

guilty
Old 03-19-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
As a metalhead, having musicians like Michelle Shocked and Moe Tucker go off like this makes me feel less embarrassed about Dave Mustaine and Blackie Lawless.

If a sexually ambiguous folk singer can go homophobic born again and a member of the Velvet Underground can support the Tea Party, it can happen to anyone.
Blackie Lawless went right wing wacko? Tipper Gore must be tickled.
Old 03-19-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who the fuck is blackie lawless?
Old 03-19-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
An animal who fucks like a beast.
Old 03-19-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JANK
Yeah at one time she was a 'contender' and I placed her in the same category as k.d. Well, good for her for speaking her mind!
lol true, too bad she just lost the remaining 28 fans she had
Old 03-19-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My reactions to this thread:

1. I'm uncomfortable conflating someone who says "God hates ****" with "red state intolerance". It implies that Republicans in general stand for this kind of thing. Understand, I'm not defending Michelle Shocked's comments, just disputing that she is representative of Republicans as was implied.

2. I'm uncomfortable with labling Mo Tucker "mouth foaming" because she attended a few Tea Party rallys. To me, the Tea Party has been routinely demonized and mischaracterized by the media to such a degree that many people believe that only a raging ignoramous would agree with any portion of the Tea Party platform.

To me, both comments are examples of the casualness with which many people these days dismiss and denegrate any right of center opinion. They assume agreement on these sentiments. This is no less annoying than people on the right who assume "everyone knows" that everyone on the left is a deluded commie.
Old 03-19-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
A blind dude from Texas.
Old 03-19-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
I was stunned about this because I always thought she was a lesbian
She probably "was". Most likely fell under the spell of one of those bible thumping evangelists who "made her right again".
Old 03-19-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

1. I'm uncomfortable conflating someone who says "God hates ****" with "red state intolerance". It implies that Republicans in general stand for this kind of thing. Understand, I'm not defending Michelle Shocked's comments, just disputing that she is representative of Republicans as was implied.

2. I'm uncomfortable with labling Mo Tucker "mouth foaming" because she attended a few Tea Party rallys. To me, the Tea Party has been routinely demonized and mischaracterized by the media to such a degree that many people believe that only a raging ignoramous would agree with any portion of the Tea Party platform.

To me, both comments are examples of the casualness with which many people these days dismiss and denegrate any right of center opinion. They assume agreement on these sentiments. This is no less annoying than people on the right who assume "everyone knows" that everyone on the left is a deluded commie.
It's getting harder every day to defend your party isn't it?
Old 03-19-13, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Welcome to DVD Talk.
Old 03-19-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed.

Disagree. The "mouth foaming" line might be a bit strong, but when she says that "I have come to believe (not just wonder) that Obama's plan is to destroy America from within," and told people to refer to Obama as King Obama, she's definitely gone off the deep end. In my opinion that's not political discourse, it's just lunacy.
Old 03-19-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Anchorage" is always on the muzak at work, they play the same 40 songs over and over, it drives me nuts. My job my be bearable if I could have tolerable music in the background, I swear....Anyway, that's the only thing of her's I could name you. I thought it was the name of a band rather than an individual, to be honest.
Old 03-19-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially considering the guy that started the "God hates ****" line was not a Republican.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.