Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you a fan of progressive rock?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately I've been on a progressive rock kick where I've been listening to old Yes and Genesis albums from the seventies. I also like newer prog rock bands like Spock's Beard. Is anyone here a fan?
Old 02-09-13, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Are you a fan of progressive rock?

I like some of what would be considered Progressive rock - Yes (and most of the side bands and projects that spun out of that group), Emerson Lake & Palmer, old Genesis and very early Utopia among others. I guess you could say I give it a cursory appreciation, by I am by no means an aficionado. The only newer band that's kind of in that realm I've ever gotten into is Porcupine Tree.
Old 02-09-13, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I like some of what would be considered Progressive rock - Yes (and most of the side bands and projects that spun out of that group), Emerson Lake & Palmer, old Genesis and very early Utopia among others. I guess you could say I give it a cursory appreciation, by I am by no means an aficionado. The only newer band that's kind of in that realm I've ever gotten into is Porcupine Tree.
I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree and have all their albums. My favorite Genesis album would be The Lamb lies down on Broadway.
Old 02-09-13, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Hit and miss with me. I don't care for the off tempo progressive jazz stuff. Songs that incorporate some traditional rock riffs are good. Love the laid back, very melodic stuff.
Stuff like "Tuesday Afternoon", "In Court Of Crimson King"(song) and "Entangled" are right up my alley.
If not too commercial to be consider prog, "In The Beginning" and "Still You Turn Me On" are two of my favorite songs ever.
The perfect album for my taste in prog would be Trick Of The Tail.
Old 02-09-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

King Crimson's first 3 albums, Moody Blues first 7, Yes first 3, ELP first 4 - these are the essential ones from the early 70s.

Highlights:
KC - 21st Century Schizoid Man, In The Court
MB - Legend Of A Mind, Gypsy
Yes - Close To The Edge, Roundabout
ELP - Tarkus, Trilogy

....I feel this is just a start to be honest
Old 02-09-13, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

would ELO be considered as prog?
Old 02-09-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The only prog I love are

Genesis: Nursery Cryme to Seconds Out
King Crimson - In the Court, In the Wake of Poseiden, Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Red (I love the Adrian Belew stuff but not really prog)
Yes - Close to the edge (best album to get high to ever, or so I remember)
Old 02-09-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
would ELO be considered as prog?
First couple albums. Starting with Face the Music, it's orchestrated pop.
Old 02-09-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Not so much anymore. A lot of them didn't hold up for me. I listened to Tarkus last year and it was a chore to get through. I still like the albums Close to the Edge, In the Court of the Crimson King, Red, and the song Carouselambra.
Old 02-09-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Don't know a hell of a lot about the subgenre, but I like Asia, Marillion, and Tangerine Dream.
Old 02-09-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Huge fan here of prog rock and metal.

They were mentioned earlier - Porcupine Tree is IMO essential modern prog listening, as are Steven Wilson's (PT's leader) solo albums.

Wilson has a ton of material out there so I would start with:

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Wilson's new solo record The Raven That Refused To Sing is due out at the end of the month and it's fantastic so definitely check that out as well. If you find you like his voice and how he composed, you can look into some of his other side projects like Blackfield which is a more straight-forward pop-like project but great songs. Blackfield II is my personal favorite.
Old 02-09-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Tool
Old 02-09-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am, Genesis, Yes, the newer Maiden stuff, Porcupine Tree, Nektar, Jethro Tull, etc
Old 02-09-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that missed it, Slate had a great 5 part series of essays on the history of Progressive Rock, the most hated genre in rock music.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/p...he_1970s_.html

This is hilarious

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height="270" ><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1787097602001&playerID=58264559001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAASoY90~,_gW1ZHvKG_0UvBsh7aZU7MXZe77OcsGq&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1787097602001&playerID=58264559001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAASoY90~,_gW1ZHvKG_0UvBsh7aZU7MXZe77OcsGq&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 02-09-13, 02:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I adore Genesis, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Can (if you consider them progressive), and King Crimson. I like Soft Machine and a few others as well. I fucking loathe the Moody Blues and ELO.
Old 02-09-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I adore Genesis, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Can (if you consider them progressive), and King Crimson. I like Soft Machine and a few others as well. I fucking loathe the Moody Blues and ELO.
Okay, I can add Soft Machine Third and Thick as a Brick as albums I still like.

We recently saw the Moody Blues performing for PBS Pledge Week. Mrs Danger told me that those guys were too old for the songs. I hadn't thought of it before, but she's right. Their lyrics are all that pseudo-philosophical bullshit that 20-year olds spout when they're trying to get laid. Oh well, I still enjoy their pop-prog music.
Old 02-09-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Atomic Rooster, ELP, King Crimson and Tull are all very good. Rick Wakeman with and without Yes was pretty good. I really liked the Journey to the Center of the Earth LP.
Old 02-09-13, 05:49 PM
Banned by request

Oh yeah, I also really like Marillion's first four albums, which are basically Genesis albums that never were.
Old 02-09-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus, people. Can you name more obvious, pedestrian, and cliched prog bands?

Not to say they are bad, because many aren't (fuck that neo-prog bullshit though), but mix in some Van der Graaf Generator, Museo Rosenbach, PFM, Banco, Area, Magma, Tasavallan Presidentti, Bi Kyo Ran, Yonin Bayashi, Le Orme, Ange, Comus, New Trolls, Osanna, Dun, Bubu, Triana, Semiramis, 5uus, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow, Yezda Urfa, Alphataurus, Corte dei Miracoli, Wigwam, and a whole lot of others....
Old 02-09-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're looking for some modern day Prog, you should check out Umphrey's McGee. These guys are road horses, performing 100+ shows a year for 15 years, slaying audiences around the world. Most associate them with the jamband community but they are a completely different experience. Here's a studio track and a live song.

Mantis
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fyIheBwbd68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Puppet Strings
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pUVx13nBIhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-13, 10:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf

Not to say they are bad, because many aren't (fuck that neo-prog bullshit though), but mix in some Van der Graaf Generator, Museo Rosenbach, PFM, Banco, Area, Magma, Tasavallan Presidentti, Bi Kyo Ran, Yonin Bayashi, Le Orme, Ange, Comus, New Trolls, Osanna, Dun, Bubu, Triana, Semiramis, 5uus, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow, Yezda Urfa, Alphataurus, Corte dei Miracoli, Wigwam, and a whole lot of others....
well that's the point of a thread like this - so others can expose us to some other bands. I'm intrigued now - thanks.
Old 02-09-13, 11:06 PM

I'll add an Australian band, Sebastian Hardie who put out a great album, "Four Moments" in the seventies.
Old 02-10-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For modern progressive rock with an epic feel, it doesn't get any better than Anathema. They pretty much invented the death/doom genre in the mid '80s and then around 2001 they dropped the harsh vocals and started morphing themselves into the best progressive rock band working today. I can't figure out why they aren't more popular in America. They're like Porcupine Tree with a better vocalist and better songs (and I love Porcupine Tree).

Untouchable, Part 1:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-JlhNRcbXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Storm Before the Calm:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jm4lhvf0vdw?start=360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This whole song is great, but it takes a huge stylistic turn around the 6 minute mark and becomes something truly incredible, so I started the video there.

Last edited by Mordred; 02-10-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 12:14 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by van der graaf

I'll overlook the oppressive air of condescension and check some of these bands out.

And while some of the bands we listed are obvious, I don't see what's pedestrian about them. There's a reason people think of bands like Yes, ELP, and early Genesis when they talk about progressive rock.
Old 02-10-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'll overlook the oppressive air of condescension and check some of these bands out.

And while some of the bands we listed are obvious, I don't see what's pedestrian about them. There's a reason people think of bands like Yes, ELP, and early Genesis when they talk about progressive rock.
That's the problem - they're too popular in the genre. Hipsterism in prog - delicious irony.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.