DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Long Distance Dedications (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/608039-long-distance-dedications.html)

Lastdaysofrain 01-17-13 01:44 PM

Long Distance Dedications

I don't know if anyone else grew up listening to Top 40 countdown shows but I was always a bit obsessed with the Long Distance Dedications. I've been collecting original broadcasts for years and just transcribing all of them in a document, for my own amusement.

Some friends enjoyed them so I started a Tumblr, posting one a day or so
http://retroldds.tumblr.com/

I don't know if anyone else finds them interesting.

Did anyone ever write one of these in or get one on the air?

stingermck 01-17-13 02:41 PM

Re: Long Distance Dedications

Awesome. I used to listen to these growing up. Usually it was a night, sitting in the back seat with my parents driving.

Chrisedge 01-17-13 02:49 PM

Nice, I loved AT40 when I was younger...

Spoiler:
[perky] "Now we're up to our long distance dedication, and this one is about kids and pets, and a situation we can all understand, whether we have kids or pets or neither. It comes from a man in Cincinati Ohio, and here's what he writes.

'Dear Casey, This may seem to be a strange dedication request, but I am quite sincere and it will mean a lot if you play it. Recently there was a death in our family. He was a little dog named Snuggles, but he was most certainly a part of...' [despondent] let's go...start again"
"Coming out of the record, play the record, ok. Please..."
[perky] "That's the letter U and the numeral 2 . The four man band features Adam Clayton on bass, Larry Mullin on drums, Dave Evans, nicknamed The Edge on..."

[angry] "This is bullshit! Nobody cares! These guys are from England, and who gives a shit! It's a lot of wasted names that don't mean diddly shit!!!"
[seethingly quiet] "Emmm...too many... Come out of those goddamn up-tempo numbers, man, It's impossible to make those transitions. Then you gotta go into somebody dying! [raises voice] Goddamn it if we can't come out of slow records. I don't understand it, Why aren't we doing these instrumentals, too? Do we got 'em?"
[shouting] "Will somebody find the goddamn answer?"
"OK"
[livid] "I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record, that isn't a... a fucking up-tempo record , every time I do a goddamn ...DEATH Dedication! This is the last goddamn time. I want somebody to use his fucking brain to not come out of a goddamn record that is a ... up-tempo, and I gotta talk about a fucking dog dying!!!"
[beside himself] "What is this... this is fucking ponderous, man..."
[perky]"This is American Top 40, right here on the radio you grew up with, Music Radio 138... Oh Fuck!"

Rockmjd23 01-17-13 02:53 PM

They got replaced by 5-second shoutouts on TRL.
[suburban white teenage douche] Yo I wanna say waddup to my homey J-dog and yo Limp Bizkit is off the chain![/suburban white teenage douche]

Lastdaysofrain 01-17-13 03:05 PM

A sad world without these.

I'm always amazed at the personal and usually sad details people share in these, and then top it off with "Please play Get Out of Me dreams (and into my car) by Billy Ocean"

I actually think just the regular Dedications are funnier than the Casem rant. Some of these are completely mental, I recommend checking out the one titled "Mystery', all 100% real.

Lastdaysofrain 01-24-13 12:42 PM

I update this pretty much every day, if people are interested. Weirdly I've been getting a ton of positive feedback about it. Here's me thinking I was the only one who found these amusing.

JasonF 01-24-13 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 11544528)
Nice, I loved AT40 when I was younger...

Spoiler:
[perky] "Now we're up to our long distance dedication, and this one is about kids and pets, and a situation we can all understand, whether we have kids or pets or neither. It comes from a man in Cincinati Ohio, and here's what he writes.

'Dear Casey, This may seem to be a strange dedication request, but I am quite sincere and it will mean a lot if you play it. Recently there was a death in our family. He was a little dog named Snuggles, but he was most certainly a part of...' [despondent] let's go...start again"
"Coming out of the record, play the record, ok. Please..."
[perky] "That's the letter U and the numeral 2 . The four man band features Adam Clayton on bass, Larry Mullin on drums, Dave Evans, nicknamed The Edge on..."

[angry] "This is bullshit! Nobody cares! These guys are from England, and who gives a shit! It's a lot of wasted names that don't mean diddly shit!!!"
[seethingly quiet] "Emmm...too many... Come out of those goddamn up-tempo numbers, man, It's impossible to make those transitions. Then you gotta go into somebody dying! [raises voice] Goddamn it if we can't come out of slow records. I don't understand it, Why aren't we doing these instrumentals, too? Do we got 'em?"
[shouting] "Will somebody find the goddamn answer?"
"OK"
[livid] "I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record, that isn't a... a fucking up-tempo record , every time I do a goddamn ...DEATH Dedication! This is the last goddamn time. I want somebody to use his fucking brain to not come out of a goddamn record that is a ... up-tempo, and I gotta talk about a fucking dog dying!!!"
[beside himself] "What is this... this is fucking ponderous, man..."
[perky]"This is American Top 40, right here on the radio you grew up with, Music Radio 138... Oh Fuck!"

:lol: First thing I think of when I think of Casey and AT40

Hiro11 01-24-13 02:11 PM

The Snuggles tape is up there with Jim Rose vs. Jim Everett as my personal favorite recorded freak out ever.

Supermallet 01-24-13 09:18 PM

Weird, I just saw some stand up that was talking about long distance dedications.