Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Old 01-10-13, 06:08 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,511
Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

So I saw that we didn't have one of these threads started for the year and figured I might as well start it.

I recently pre-ordered:

Sound City: Real to Reel (Soundtrack to Dave Grohl's Sound City Documentary)
Mike86 is offline  
Old 01-10-13, 06:35 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Look up.
auto is offline  
Old 01-10-13, 06:50 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 19,970
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Jim Croce - Greatest Hits

Once again, Tarantino inspires me to seek out artists I never actively listened to before. Good stuff.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 01-11-13, 11:24 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,515
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Jim Croce - Greatest Hits

Once again, Tarantino inspires me to seek out artists I never actively listened to before. Good stuff.
I remember hearing that song "I've got a name" while I was skating in an ice skating rink the day he died. The song's so bittersweet anyway and that line about "So life won't pass me by" just struck a nerve. I remember several women noticeably weeping. One of those moments you never forget.
cungar is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 08:52 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)



Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
180g vinyl

------

By the way, what's the deal with certain new vinyl records where they have two inner sleeves? The real one with the pics and lyrics and then the the paper one that the record is actually in. Seems silly and redundant.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 10:28 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post


Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
180g vinyl

------

By the way, what's the deal with certain new vinyl records where they have two inner sleeves? The real one with the pics and lyrics and then the the paper one that the record is actually in. Seems silly and redundant.
It's so you don't ruin the pic and lyric one by the weight of the 180 gram vinyl tearing through it. Even back in the days of pre 180 gram, inner sleeves often fell prey to damage by the vinyl tearing through the edges, so you would have to resort to the ugly buisness of taping up the sides, or buying replacement sleeves - which were not something easily found back then. This is one way of solving that problem.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 11:34 AM
  #7  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,349
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

I regularly buy poly inner sleeves to use with my records, but keep the original one in addition.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 01:33 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
It's so you don't ruin the pic and lyric one by the weight of the 180 gram vinyl tearing through it. Even back in the days of pre 180 gram, inner sleeves often fell prey to damage by the vinyl tearing through the edges, so you would have to resort to the ugly buisness of taping up the sides, or buying replacement sleeves - which were not something easily found back then. This is one way of solving that problem.
It's a silly problem to solve. I have hundreds of records with torn inner sleeves. It's not a big deal. THe funny thing is that the new inner sleeve is usually sturdier than than the paper one the disc is actually in. And if its not meant to be used, why go to the trouble of making it a sleeve? A sheet of double sided printed cardstock would do the trick.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 11:23 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
It's a silly problem to solve. I have hundreds of records with torn inner sleeves. It's not a big deal. THe funny thing is that the new inner sleeve is usually sturdier than than the paper one the disc is actually in. And if its not meant to be used, why go to the trouble of making it a sleeve? A sheet of double sided printed cardstock would do the trick.
I've noticed this trend with you, wherein you seem to think everyone should see things the way you do. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way. You asked for an explanation - I provided it. Just because you personally don't agree with it, doesn't make it silly, redundant, wasteful or whatever adjective you care to decide to come up with. Other people feel differently than you do. Be happy that some companies are considerate enough to give you the extra bonus option of using either/or sleeve. Jeez.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  
Old 01-21-13, 11:50 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 8,050
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 08:40 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 View Post
I've noticed this trend with you, wherein you seem to think everyone should see things the way you do. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way. You asked for an explanation - I provided it. Just because you personally don't agree with it, doesn't make it silly, redundant, wasteful or whatever adjective you care to decide to come up with. Other people feel differently than you do. Be happy that some companies are considerate enough to give you the extra bonus option of using either/or sleeve. Jeez.
Yes, it's called an opinion and I make it very plain. Don't reply if you take issue. It was a rhetorical question with an obvious answer: I was commenting on the silliness of providing anal-retentive neo-record collectors with two sleeves.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 10:01 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,477
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

why is this it's own thread, when there's already one stickied?
Giles is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 01:13 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,726
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Good question. I would have never looked for this as a Sticky thread.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 01:55 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ohio
Posts: 462
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Yea, Benedict needs to merge these.
sniper007 is offline  
Old 01-22-13, 08:19 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,353
Re: Last Album You Purchased (2013 Edition)

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, it's called an opinion and I make it very plain. Don't reply if you take issue. It was a rhetorical question with an obvious answer: I was commenting on the silliness of providing anal-retentive neo-record collectors with two sleeves.
It's all well and good having an opinion. The problem lies with you acting somewhere between yours being the only one that matters, or believing that everyone shares it. At least that's how you often come off. My apologies if that's not the case, but that's how your comments tend to read.
Rocketdog2000 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.