Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

Originally Posted by davidh777
Doesn't that violate the principle of legally ripping the CDs you own? Like how you're not supposed to rip CDs then sell the physical copies?
Amazon has gotten licenses from the individual record companies to do this. So the rules that may apply to individual actions don't apply here.
Old 01-11-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
You don't need to use the cloud service to take advantage of this. You can download any or all of the tracks you want.
Are you saying that, assuming I no longer have one of the albums I purchased, I can still dl it into my iTunes? Hmmm, now that is something I may take advantage of.
Old 01-11-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Are you saying that, assuming I no longer have one of the albums I purchased, I can still dl it into my iTunes? Hmmm, now that is something I may take advantage of.
Yep, that's what happened with me. There are a couple of albums I no longer own, as well as several I bought for friends as gifts, and the MP3s are there.

Amazon has a download manager you'll need to install. In the preferences there is a setting to automatically import the tracks into your iTunes library.
Old 01-12-13, 06:53 AM

I've never used cloud before but have 1100 songs added. How do I add these to the ipod? I don't have to pay for that do I?
Old 01-12-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I've never used cloud before but have 1100 songs added. How do I add these to the ipod? I don't have to pay for that do I?
No, you don't have to pay for it.

Go to Amazon's site and open the Web Cloud Player. Select the songs you want to download and click on download. Amazon will prompt you to install their download manager. follow the prompts to download and install the download manager and continue. The download manager will download the selected songs and add them to iTunes. Once they're in iTunes you can add them to your iPod like any other song.
Old 01-12-13, 11:26 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This is an excellent idea. Pretty much the inevitable "next step," if you ask me. Combined with free storage in the cloud for these particular songs and the DRM-free flexibility of the tracks, Amazon has did well with this move.
Old 01-12-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

As I mentioned in the Hot Deals thread, for one CD it included the mp3-only bonus track, which is cool.

I thought I bought more CDs from Amazon, too, but upon reflection, I'm pretty sure Best Buy got the bulk of my money in that department. Too bad they don't have something similar.

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I am curious if this will eliminate the odd practice of sometimes pricing MP3 albums higher than their physical counterparts. It would be pretty stupid if it didn't.
It is interesting. Right now fun.'s Some Nights is $7.99 for the CD and $8.99 for the mp3s. If anything, this may get me buying more CDs again. You get the immediacy of mp3s and a few days later the security and artwork/liner notes of CDs. Just when I made peace with going digital only.
Old 01-12-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Amazon has gotten licenses from the individual record companies to do this. So the rules that may apply to individual actions don't apply here.
Old 01-19-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

2,902 songs auto-added!

(Though I'm not convinced I hadn't already ripped and uploaded a lot of them.)

It is pretty cool, though. My kid was desperate for an album. Rather than buy the MP3, we bought the CD and got the auto-rip right away even before the order shipped.
Old 01-22-13, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I added the Amazon Cloud Player channel on my Roku, pretty neat. I think I have maybe 250 songs on there.
Old 01-22-13, 03:32 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Not that I'm surprised, but I bought a CD from an Amazon seller and nothing was auto ripped.
Old 01-22-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Not that I'm surprised, but I bought a CD from an Amazon seller and nothing was auto ripped.
AutoRip is for albums sold by Amazon, not third parties. There will be an AutoRip logo near the price of the album if it's eligible.
Old 01-22-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I added the Amazon Cloud Player channel on my Roku, pretty neat. I think I have maybe 250 songs on there.
There's a Spotify app on Roku too. I have access to about 20 million songs on there.
Old 01-22-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
There's a Spotify app on Roku too. I have access to about 20 million songs on there.
Wow, a snarky comment! How unlike you.
Old 01-23-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
He has access to 20 million songs, but he only likes three of them.
Old 01-24-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Amazon's website. I suggest that you look at your purchase history which goes back to '04. You can upload any albums that were not automatically added and they don't count towards the storage limits.

Your Past Amazon MP3 Purchases

Music purchased in the Amazon MP3 Store will be automatically saved to Cloud Player. For some songs and albums you previously purchased in the Amazon MP3 Store, Amazon may have rights to deliver those past purchases to Cloud Player without you having to import them. We'll automatically begin delivering your past purchases to the "Purchased" playlist when you log in to Cloud Player; this process will only happen once and may take a few minutes to complete.

After we start delivering your past purchases you'll see a progress dialog box in Cloud Player for Web. You can close this progress dialog box at any time; there will be another pop-up box to notify you when your eligible past purchases have been delivered.

If some of your purchases don't appear after a few minutes, you may import missing purchases using the Amazon Music Importer and they will not count against storage limits.

Your eligible past purchases also include eligible Amazon MP3 Gifts you've received.
Old 01-25-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat
From Amazon's website. I suggest that you look at your purchase history which goes back to '04. You can upload any albums that were not automatically added and they don't count towards the storage limits.
No. What you quoted is for Amazon MP3 purchases. It shouldn't even really be needed for those either, since the majority were imported directly by Amazon.

For AutoRip, they may add more titles as they get licensing from other record labels, and they may fix things like missing tracks going forward.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0#pastpurchase
Old 01-26-13, 09:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture

Read on somewhere this is for any eligible CD purchase going back to 1998. Checked my Cloud Player and found a ton of songs I have very vague memories of purchasing many, many years ago.

Also got an unexpected bonus for some of them: I received the 2009 remaster of Nick Cave's From Her to Eternity (bought the CD way before that) and I got the deluxe version of the Stones' Exile on Main Street (bought the vanilla CD back in 2001 or so).
This is why Amazon is great
Old 01-26-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
HA HA actually when I wrote that I wasn't trying to be snarky. Now that I look at it does sound like that na na na I have more songs than you.
Old 01-26-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
No. What you quoted is for Amazon MP3 purchases. It shouldn't even really be needed for those either, since the majority were imported directly by Amazon.
I have noticed that some of my past mp3 purchases never automatically made it to their cloud player. Upon a little digging through my history, it looks like those songs are now unavailable in the store*. So, does anyone know if they would count against my limit if I uploaded them manually? My assumption is that they would since you can no longer buy them from Amazon, but I'm kind of curious about that.

*For instance, Paul Westerberg's "49:00".

EDIT: Upon more digging, some songs you can still buy from Amazon mp3 also haven't shown up. Weird.

Last edited by DJLinus; 01-26-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I think 2005 was the last time I bought a CD from Amazon and it was for a friend
Old 02-21-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got an email today notifying me that 6 more past CD purchases have been AutoRipped to my account. 4 of them were "The Essential..." best-of collections from Sony that I bought for $2 each due to a pricing mistake, so I'm guessing either Sony just signed on for the service, or they're still working through their catalog.

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I have noticed that some of my past mp3 purchases never automatically made it to their cloud player. Upon a little digging through my history, it looks like those songs are now unavailable in the store*. So, does anyone know if they would count against my limit if I uploaded them manually? My assumption is that they would since you can no longer buy them from Amazon, but I'm kind of curious about that.

*For instance, Paul Westerberg's "49:00".

EDIT: Upon more digging, some songs you can still buy from Amazon mp3 also haven't shown up. Weird.
I think it will depend on how the licensing is set up. It also depends on if Amazon can recognize the mp3 as having originated from them. You can try uploading the mp3 to see if it's counted against your limit.
Old 04-03-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So, it's been announced that Amazon is extending the AutoRip program to not just cover CD purchases, but Vinyl purchases as well.

Amazon AutoRip Extends to Vinyl-Customers Now Receive Free MP3 Versions of Vinyl Records Purchased From Amazon-Past, Present and Future

Amazon today announced it has extended its popular AutoRip service to vinyl records. AutoRip was introduced in January of this year to give customers free digital copies of CDs they purchase. Starting today, when customers purchase an AutoRip vinyl record, a digital copy of that music will be automatically added to their Cloud Player libraries where it will be available, free of charge, for immediate playback or download. People no longer need to go through the hassle of making a digital copy of a vinyl record. Additionally, customers who have purchased AutoRip records at any time since Amazon first opened its Music Store in 1998 will find digital copies of those albums in their Cloud Player libraries – also for free. Thousands of records, including titles from every major record label, are available for AutoRip, and more titles are being added all the time – just look for the AutoRip logo.

"AutoRip has been wildly popular with customers since it launched earlier this year," said Steve Boom, Vice President of Digital Music for Amazon. "It's a fun experience to suddenly find CDs you purchased just today – or 15 years ago – added automatically and free of charge to your digital library. We're thrilled to extend this experience to vinyl records. Many of our music customers are vinyl fans and it's traditionally been very difficult to make digital versions of vinyl records – now customers can enjoy the albums they buy wherever they are, not just when they have access to a record player."

AutoRip features include:

Free digital copies: Amazon customers who purchase AutoRip vinyl records get free MP3 versions of the albums delivered directly to their Cloud Player libraries – automatically, immediately, and at no cost – no more hassling with finding a way to get them onto your favorite devices.

For vinyl record purchases dating back to 1998: MP3 versions of AutoRip records that customers have purchased since the launch of Amazon's music store in 1998 will also be delivered to their Cloud Player libraries for free.

Enjoy everywhere: Music can be played instantly from any Kindle Fire, Android phone or tablet, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Samsung TV, Roku, Sonos, from any web browser, and from Ford SYNC Applink-equipped vehicles, giving customers the freedom to enjoy music from more devices than any other major cloud locker music service.

Free storage and backup: All AutoRip MP3s are stored for free in customers' Cloud Player libraries and do not count against Cloud Player storage limits. Customers can buy music and know that it is safely stored in Cloud Player and accessible from any compatible device.

High-quality audio: AutoRip music is provided in high-quality 256 Kbps MP3 audio.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/amazons-autorip/
Old 04-03-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes!
Old 04-03-13, 02:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent news, especially as I just purchased the new Bowie on vinyl.

And the album just showed up in my cloud player.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.