Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Amazon AutoRip, Get MP3 Versions of Previously Purchased CDs

I just got that email, too. I don't use their cloud service, or any for that matter, so for now I'll just store that info in the back of my mind.
Old 01-10-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I had never heard Evancho sing until one of her CDs came up as a Black Friday deal. After listening to samples, I figured it would be great... for my mother-in-law. I guess I'll be getting it myself after all.
She's one of those PBS artists like The Irish Tenors or Michael Buble. Yech.
Old 01-10-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
She's one of those PBS artists like The Irish Tenors or Michael Buble. Yech.
Yeah, I heard her Christmas album when I was at my mother-in-law's for dinner. Very talented, don't get me wrong, and I like big voices, but it just sounded unnatural to me. (/threadhijack)
Old 01-10-13, 11:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I wonder if my kids are still interested in the Rugrats in Paris soundtrack? It is funny to see albums from over ten years ago showing up in the cloud player. It's like a little trip in a time machine.
Old 01-10-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

I think it's going slow. I only have a few added so far, but got a notification at the top that they are currently adding stuff. Anyway, it's a really nice feature to add for free.
Old 01-11-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got about 160 songs added. I'm sure I bought much more than that over the years...but then again, I bought a lot of music locally (new and used). Will more titles be added to AutoRip in the future, and if so, will they continually add them to the Cloud Drives? Either way, can't complain and this is just another reason why I love Amazon so much.

EDIT: Wow, actually, looks like I mostly bought DVDs over the years (virtually no other first-party Amazon CD purchases since 2002, according to my order history). Some of the 2002 DVD purchase prices are pretty damn depressing, though...

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 01-11-13 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's nice there doing it but I can't help but feel a little concern that they'll suddenly charge for cloud space without much if any notice and then there's a discreet hidden charge for all these free mp3s down the road. Just saying.
Old 01-11-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
That's nice there doing it but I can't help but feel a little concern that they'll suddenly charge for cloud space without much if any notice and then there's a discreet hidden charge for all these free mp3s down the road. Just saying.
SO you mean Amazon isn't doing this for altruistic reasons and they want to increase the use of their Cloud service?
Old 01-11-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

They do charge for cloud space. They have Cloud Player Premium for storing songs not bought from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2658409011

Amazon stores the music bought from them for free because they can use the same music file for everyone that owns a particular song, and they have that music file online already because they offer it for sale. So it doesn't matter if 1 person has a copy of, say, the latest Adele album in their Cloud Player, or 10,000 do, or nobody has. They only have to store one copy.*

iTunes offers the same with songs purchased from their service, except theirs is download-only (although you can start playing as soon as the download starts), and iTunes has never sold CDs, so they can't offer an "autorip" service.

*Technically, Amazon likely has multiple copies of a given file for redundancy purposes, but the point is that offering this music to thousands of people isn't actually increasing their storage costs any.
Old 01-11-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This only added 27 songs to my player. It seems most of the CDs I've purchased on Amazon were used from other sellers.
Old 01-11-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Some of my AutoRip albums are missing tracks. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 01-11-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only had 31 songs added. I buy CDs from local record stores. Fuck Amazon, except for mp3s.

The whole exercise is pretty pointless considering all my CDs are ripped and in iTunes Match.
Old 01-11-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
The whole exercise is pretty pointless considering all my CDs are ripped and in iTunes Match.
Not for me - I can now listen to a bunch of tracks on my Android phone at work. I've ripped a lot of my CDs, but not all of them, so this is good stuff, in my book!
Old 01-11-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I only had 31 songs added. I buy CDs from local record stores. Fuck Amazon, except for mp3s.

Yeah for a second I thought this was cool then I remembered I can access all this music and much more using AudioGalaxy hosted from my home PC. It's actually faster to load MP3s.
Old 01-11-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty awesome if there were some cds you lost or just forgotten about, a nice trip down memory lane. I only saw a few albums added. I think most of the cds I got from amaozn were foreign soundtracks and stuff you wouldn't find at local stores.

I'd LOVE it if amazon did this for dvds - I've bought a ton of dvds over the years. Just add 'em all to video on demand, pls, amazon!
Old 01-11-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'd LOVE it if amazon did this for dvds - I've bought a ton of dvds over the years. Just add 'em all to video on demand, pls, amazon!
That would be awesome.
Old 01-11-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess it really is better to give than to receive. Stuff I've gotten as gifts won't be appearing here.

Originally Posted by Ranger
From your lips...!
Old 01-11-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
What's happening is that Amazon is only using one version of a specific album to represent that album in everyone's account, even if they purchased another version that had different bonus tracks or whatever.
Old 01-11-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What's happening is that Amazon is only using one version of a specific album to represent that album in everyone's account, even if they purchased another version that had different bonus tracks or whatever.
that's not it. because a lot of my albums only show 2-3 tracks at most when the CDs have 8-10. on average.
Old 01-11-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I'm surprised at how few CDs I've bought from Amazon... and even then, the bulk of my cloud library comes from boxed sets.
Old 01-11-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I don't use their cloud service, or any for that matter, so for now I'll just store that info in the back of my mind.
You don't need to use the cloud service to take advantage of this. You can download any or all of the tracks you want.

Amazon has a pretty good reputation for not screwing people with hidden charges.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Yeah, that has happened for me, too. For whatever reason, track 4 of a Daniel Lanois album was missing. It's on all versions of the album, so it's not like it was a bonus track that was exclusive to another store or anything. I'm curious to see whether it'll eventually show up as Amazon's servers catch up with the backlog.

True, but for anyone who doesn't want to pay Apple $25 a year, they can use Amazon's cloud player for free.

Originally Posted by davidh777
I guess it really is better to give than to receive. Stuff I've gotten as gifts won't be appearing here.

It was a treat seeing all the albums I've bought as gifts for friends and family members over the years now available to me!

From your lips...!
Old 01-11-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Weird, if you buy gifts, you are getting the mp3s for yourself...
Old 01-11-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True, but for anyone who doesn't want to pay Apple $25 a year, they can use Amazon's cloud player for free.
For just the mp3s and CDs you bought from Amazon or what you uploaded up to the quota. There still is a charge if you want to upload everything to function like iTunes Match.
Old 01-11-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Doesn't that violate the principle of legally ripping the CDs you own? Like how you're not supposed to rip CDs then sell the physical copies?
Old 01-11-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Technically, gifts don't count. So if you had a purchase shipped directly to someone else as a gift, you're not going to get the MP3s. However, if you had it shipped to yourself and gave it to someone in person, then Amazon can't tell it was a gift and assumes it was for yourself, giving you the MP3s.

They also might be giving you MP3s for albums you've sold off since.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.