DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/607778-bowie-back-first-album-10-years-march.html)

nothingfails 01-08-13 12:00 AM

Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March

I am still shaking over this news. Bowie is one of my ultimate favorite artists and a common conclusion many fans came to after so many years of no news and being low-key is that he decided to call it a day and just count his royalties after the health issues on his last tour in 2004. I kept hoping in the back of my head that we would hear from him again, but year after year passed with no news.

Now...
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...re-are-we-now/

Talk about a shocker: Thought to be retired from music and the public eye, David Bowie tonight announced he will release The Next Day — his first new album in a decade — this March, a collection preceded by the single “Where Are We Now?” that’s available immediately via iTunes and can be heard via its accompanying video.

The 14-track album, as well as a 17-track deluxe edition, will be released March 8 in Australia, March 11 in the “rest of the world excluding USA” and March 12 in the U.S., according to Bowie’s website. The album is available for pre-order now via iTunes, which also is selling the first single.

Little else is known about the record, which was announced out of the blue tonight on the eve of Bowie’s 66th birthday on Tuesday. The album art, as shown on iTunes (and which can be seen below), appears to be a play on the iconic cover of Bowie’s Heroes album.

The new album is Bowie’s first since 2003′s Reality.

Tracklist: David Bowie, The Next Day

1. “The Next Day”
2. “Dirty Boys”
3. “The Stars (Are Out Tonight)”
4. “Love Is Lost”
5. “Where Are We Now?”
6. “Valentine’s Day”
7. “If You Can See Me”
8. “I’d Rather Be High”
9. “Boss of Me”
10. “Dancing Out In Space”
11. “How Does the Grass Grow?”
12. “(You Will) Set the World On Fire”
13. “You Feel So Lonely You Could Die”
14. “Heat”
15. “So She” (Bonus Track)
16. “I’ll Take You There” (Bonus Track)
17. “Plan” (Bonus Track)
Watch his new video here http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

The Antipodean 01-08-13 12:07 AM

Re: Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March

SO excited by this! I really thought he might never "come back". Downloading that first single now -- excellent news!

Supermallet 01-08-13 12:37 AM

Bowie is my favorite rock artist of all time, but the new song is not good and the new video is even worse. I'm stunned by the news but also disappointed by the single, and I don't know what to think.

And on top of it Suede released their first new song in a decade today, too.

nothingfails 01-08-13 12:44 AM

the new song is a grower. His voice has changed a lot and he looks his age in the video but he's one of those guys that I'm just happy is still making music. The song has been on constant repeat for the last half hour (I bought it on itunes as soon as I could) and it does improve on every listen.

Supermallet 01-08-13 12:47 AM

It reminds me of the song "Slip Away" from Heathen, which is a song I always skip.

elijahmagallon 01-08-13 01:55 AM

This is fantastic news. I was concerned that he'd given up and the next news we'd here about him would be his passing, so to say that I am jubilant about this is a huge understatement!

Pizza 01-08-13 01:57 AM

Must.
Get.

auto 01-08-13 05:35 AM

Wow, great news to wake up to!

ResIpsa 01-08-13 05:54 AM

Has it been 10 years?!? Wow.

Had basically the same reaction to the song and video as Supermallet and Bowie is also by far my favorite recording artist. The song is really tired sounding and that video is stupid as fuck. Fingers crossed that the rest of the release is as good as Reality/Heathen.

cdollaz 01-08-13 07:34 AM

I can see the Slip Away comparison, although Slip Away has a much better chorus.

cungar 01-08-13 09:45 AM

First song/video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FOyDTy9DtHQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cungar 01-08-13 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 11531232)
the new song is a grower. His voice has changed a lot and he looks his age in the video but he's one of those guys that I'm just happy is still making music. The song has been on constant repeat for the last half hour (I bought it on itunes as soon as I could) and it does improve on every listen.

Not sure I agree he looks his age. This is what most 66 year old men look like

http://media.katu.com/images/TURNBOW.jpg

Bowie looks 56 ish

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8...b0de405fd5.jpg

Dan 01-08-13 10:11 AM

Who the hell is this guy?? Seems like an Adam Lambert rip-off, but like 50 years older. LOLZ.

Numanoid 01-08-13 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11531233)
It reminds me of the song "Slip Away" from Heathen, which is a song I always skip.

That, sir, makes YOU the heathen! "Slip Away" is one of my favorite Bowie songs ever.

nothingfails 01-08-13 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11531449)
Not sure I agree he looks his age. This is what most 66 year old men look like

http://media.katu.com/images/TURNBOW.jpg

Bowie looks 56 ish

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8...b0de405fd5.jpg

My dad is 78 and he looks younger (not by much, but maybe a couple years) from the first guy in question.

rexinnih 01-08-13 02:30 PM

Now this is the best news I've had in a while. Now I hope there's a tour and I can see him live one more time!

Supermallet 01-08-13 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 11531912)
That, sir, makes YOU the heathen! "Slip Away" is one of my favorite Bowie songs ever.

Really? It's so bland.

Okay, maybe think "The Loneliest Guy" from Reality instead. Sometimes Bowie rights these slow, meandering songs that seem to go nowhere and aren't memorable. This is one of those songs, and he chose it to be the lead single, which worries me.

cungar 01-08-13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11532203)
Really? It's so bland.

Okay, maybe think "The Loneliest Guy" from Reality instead. Sometimes Bowie rights these slow, meandering songs that seem to go nowhere and aren't memorable. This is one of those songs, and he chose it to be the lead single, which worries me.

I think we're going to need to get used to the fact he's not going to do songs like Modern Love or Rebel, Rebel anymore. He's in his Leonard Cohen stage. Go with it.

auto 01-08-13 06:07 PM

Crazy cover art:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Next_Day.jpg

Blog post on the cover art.

Supermallet 01-08-13 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11532299)
I think we're going to need to get used to the fact he's not going to do songs like Modern Love or Rebel, Rebel anymore. He's in his Leonard Cohen stage. Go with it.

I do not need songs like Modern Love or Rebel Rebel. A track like Sunday from Heathen is a great example of a moody song with plenty of impact.

And Leonard Cohen's new album was far more interesting and focused than this song is.

I'm not saying the whole album will be bad. It probably won't be. But this song as a lead off single is really puzzling.

The cover is pretty ballsy. I'll give them that.

Oliver Clothesoff 01-08-13 07:15 PM

This new song is great. took me a few listens, but I dig it a lot - especially the back half.

I hope it's a whole album of slow, quiet, and sad songs with Bowie singing about getting old.

nothingfails 01-08-13 07:40 PM

This is what I was fearing.

After so long mourning his absence from the studio and saying we'd be happy to take another "Tonight" as long as it meant new David Bowie music, suddenly we're complaining when he comes back with something new and it's not as ambitious, indulgent and adventurous as Low and Station To Station? And we wonder why he stopped making music for so long because everyone whined that he wasn't as good as he was in the 1970s.

The song is good, it just needs to grow on you. After a dozen or so listens I had it stuck in my head. I was not expecting another Station To Station or Low... I figured we'd have something in the Heathen/Reality vein and was okay with that, which precisely is what this song is. This is why the Stones gave up making full length albums. "Doom And Gloom" for example is a great freaking song, but people are going to point out that its not Sticky Fingers.

Supermallet 01-08-13 10:17 PM

Okay, hi, where did I ever say I was expecting another Station To Station or Low? I was very happy with Heathen and Reality, the two albums I would most expect this to sound like since they're his two most recent albums.

And really, I don't care if the song sounds like nothing he's ever recorded before, I just want it to sound good, interesting, and memorable, which it isn't.

And I also never said I'd take another "Tonight" if it meant new music from the man. Reality was a very good way to go out, if that's what he had chosen to do.

Again, I'm not saying the whole album will be bad. It's Bowie, so I expect it will be very good. But this song does not inspire confidence, and makes me worried this will be another Hours.

Numanoid 01-08-13 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11532637)
I was very happy with Heathen and Reality, the two albums I would most expect this to sound like since they're his two most recent albums.

And then you compared this song to three songs from those very albums. Be happy!

Numanoid 01-08-13 10:33 PM

The song Where are we now? is a comparison between Berlin when the wall fell and Berlin today. Most people know of Bowie’s heritage in Berlin and we want people to think about the time when the original album was produced and now
Excellent, that is exactly what I was imagining he was singing about when I played the song for the first time.