Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bowie is back!!! First album in 10 years in March

Just the sound of his voice makes me happy. Enjoying the new song
Old 01-09-13, 12:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
And then you compared this song to three songs from those very albums. Be happy!
Not the songs I wanted to hear and you know it.

Look, I am excited. It's the first Bowie album in 10 years! This is the longest he's been dormant in his entire career. I saw every date he played in Los Angeles on the Reality Tour and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I don't mean to sound like a sourpuss. I just want the album to be the best it can be.
Old 01-09-13, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the song- very moody and beautiful. I'm really looking forward to the album.
Old 01-09-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Meh, it's okay. His voice isn't like it used to be. I more prefer his older stuff from the 80's and back.
Old 01-09-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from pitchfork: According to Visconti, The Next Day is "quite a rock album" with a mix of "classic Bowie" and "innovative Bowie," written over the past two years. He told the BBC he was surprised to see the downcast "Where Are We Now?" as the first single:

Originally Posted by Tony Visconti
It's maybe the only track on the album that goes this much inward for him. It's quite a rock album, the rest of the songs. I thought to myself: 'Why is David coming out with this very slow, albeit beautiful, ballad? Why is he doing this? He should be coming out with a bang.' But he is a master of his own life. I think this was a very wise move, to link up the past with the future, and I think the next thing you hear from him is going to be quite different.
Old 01-09-13, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Old 01-09-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will probably pick this up. Great to know that in this information age, artists like Bowie can still keep a lid on things.
Old 01-09-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Okay, hi, where did I ever say I was expecting another Station To Station or Low? I was very happy with Heathen and Reality, the two albums I would most expect this to sound like since they're his two most recent albums.

And really, I don't care if the song sounds like nothing he's ever recorded before, I just want it to sound good, interesting, and memorable, which it isn't.

And I also never said I'd take another "Tonight" if it meant new music from the man. Reality was a very good way to go out, if that's what he had chosen to do.

Again, I'm not saying the whole album will be bad. It's Bowie, so I expect it will be very good. But this song does not inspire confidence, and makes me worried this will be another Hours.
Well I do think you're being harsh on it. It requires numerous listens and has gotten better with each one.

It's been ten years, expectations are going to be ridiculous for him. This sounds a lot like what he last left us with in 2003 so I'm not too upset over it. I liked a lot of the slower Heathen/Reality tracks, so that might be why I enjoy this. I loved The Loneliest Guy and Sunday so that might be why I'm okay with this. Truthfully I missed the guy so much that he could've come out with a Justin Bieber remake and I would've been satisfied just because it means that he's back LOL.

Plus now with Visconti saying this will be a more rocking album and this was the most introspective/soft track on it, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 01-09-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
This new song is great. took me a few listens, but I dig it a lot - especially the back half.

I hope it's a whole album of slow, quiet, and sad songs with Bowie singing about getting old.
+1

The song is great....the video is awful
Old 01-09-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video is creepy
Old 01-09-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I saw a video art installation similar in the Dallas Art Museum sometime back.
Old 01-10-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new track is hardly one I'd consider a modern classic, but I like it and it's Bowie so that's OK. Video was weird and stupid, though.
Old 01-11-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really hoping there is a tour. Bowie is on my bucket list. Not my bucket, his.
Old 01-11-13, 12:27 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I'm really hoping there is a tour. Bowie is on my bucket list. Not my bucket, his.
Same here...but it is not looking good

David Bowie Probably Won't Perform Live Ever Again
Earlier this week, David Bowie made the massive announcement that his new album, The Next Day, will be released in March. Shortly thereafter, his producer, Tony Visconti, told the BBC that the record is a mix of "classic and innovative" Bowie. And now Visconti has shared some more details with NME, albeit less exciting ones: Bowie will by no means tour or perform live in support of this record, or perhaps ever again.

In next week's NME, Visconti said, "He's fairly adamant he's never gonna perform live again... One of the guys would say, 'Boy, how are we gonna do all this live?' and David said, 'We're not'. He made a point of saying that all the time."
Old 01-11-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer new music to tours.

Concerts are usually overpriced and once you get a certain age (one Bowie reached some time back), the new music is irrelevant because the "fans" demand you play the songs they remember in high school because they can't accept that they're older and want to move on and realize their idol as a teen is now over 50. A friend of mine saw him on the Reality tour and mentioned how 70% of the audience was stiff whenever Bowie did something post-Let's Dance... they wanted to see Bowie for nostalgia, they couldn't care less if he was still making great music. That is generally a big chunk of the concert-going audience. The reason that on a good night, the Stones pull in over 10% of the total sales number who bought their last album. Touring audiences want to revel and nostalgia for their youth, not move into the new century with the artist.

If no tours means more Bowie music, I'm fine with it. Long ass tours is why U2 still haven't delivered a new album.

Last edited by nothingfails; 01-11-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't want a long ass tour. Just a dozen major venues. When I go to see someone like Bowie, I don't care what he plays. It's all good. I scratched Steely Dan off my list last year. Should have gone to see The Wall, I'll regret that.

My biggest regret is missing Frank Zappa in his last tour in my area with "The Greatest Band You Never Heard in Your Life." What a moron I was for missing that. Ah, Frank will be back, I said.
Old 01-11-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I don't want a long ass tour. Just a dozen major venues. When I go to see someone like Bowie, I don't care what he plays. It's all good. I scratched Steely Dan off my list last year. Should have gone to see The Wall, I'll regret that.

My biggest regret is missing Frank Zappa in his last tour in my area with "The Greatest Band You Never Heard in Your Life." What a moron I was for missing that. Ah, Frank will be back, I said.
Yeah Zappa's one of the only legends I miss seeing besides Zeppelin who I never really had a chance to see. By the time I wanted to see Zappa he was already barely touring.

But I did see The Wall in 1980 at the LA Sports Arena
Old 01-11-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My main beef with tours is that because of the money they make, artists of a certain age care more about that than getting into the studio. Like how Fleetwood Mac is coming here in April, and this marks the third time they've gone on a world tour since they last had an album out. I would take a new FM album over an overpriced concert where they play Rumours start to finish, an album where Stevie and Lindsey were in their late 20's when it came out and both are in their mid-60s now. Yea, its their greatest album but Stevie and Lindsey's latest solo albums prove they still have a knack to write great songs... so why not focus on that instead of the 27465th performance of "Dreams"?

I will always choose new music over a tour for artists I like, and too many artists of a certain age just stick to the road instead of going to the studio every few years. The only time Bowie ever touched my state was in 1987 anyways and at that age I was still very young and dependent on my parents and Michael Jackson was the only concert I could actually get my way to see.

I see if Bowie is a studio-only artist, we might get 3 or 4 more albums before he finally calls it, but if he did the U2/Stones thing we'd be lucky to get even one more album in the next ten years.
Old 01-11-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regardless of touring, we won't get 3-4 more albums. This is likely his last.

Bowie seems smart enough to get out while he is ahead.
Old 01-11-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm glad I finally saw him on the last tour. I didn't think at the time it was going to be the last one. It was a great show.
Old 01-11-13, 07:12 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by nothingfails
My main beef with tours is that because of the money they make, artists of a certain age care more about that than getting into the studio. Like how Fleetwood Mac is coming here in April, and this marks the third time they've gone on a world tour since they last had an album out. I would take a new FM album over an overpriced concert where they play Rumours start to finish, an album where Stevie and Lindsey were in their late 20's when it came out and both are in their mid-60s now. Yea, its their greatest album but Stevie and Lindsey's latest solo albums prove they still have a knack to write great songs... so why not focus on that instead of the 27465th performance of "Dreams"?

I will always choose new music over a tour for artists I like, and too many artists of a certain age just stick to the road instead of going to the studio every few years. The only time Bowie ever touched my state was in 1987 anyways and at that age I was still very young and dependent on my parents and Michael Jackson was the only concert I could actually get my way to see.

I see if Bowie is a studio-only artist, we might get 3 or 4 more albums before he finally calls it, but if he did the U2/Stones thing we'd be lucky to get even one more album in the next ten years.
I know you were just using FM as an example, but given the quality of their last album versus the quality of Buckingham's last three albums, I'd rather that Buckingham use FM tours to fund his solo albums than record another FM album.

As for Bowie, I'm lucky enough to have seen him five times. He even grabbed my hand at the last show of his I saw, so it would be hard to top that. Still, if he did do another live show, I'd go in a heartbeat. If he doesn't, well, we'll always have the Wiltern.
Old 01-11-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Regardless of touring, we won't get 3-4 more albums. This is likely his last.

Bowie seems smart enough to get out while he is ahead.
66 isn't *that* old these days.

I remember thinking Bowie was likely taking it easy so many years to watch his daughter grow up, a luxury he didn't really have in the 70s. And that when his daughter reached a certain age he'd consider coming back, she's 12-13 now.

You might be right, but I am thinking/hoping he could be pulling a Dylan/Leonard Cohen/Paul Simon thing and wowing us with a third act where he's past retirement age and past the point where people thought he had any relevance left yet stuns us by giving us a great album every few years... more low-key as opposed to the Stones/Bruce/Who thing where its a marathon stadium tour every blue moon.
Old 01-11-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I know you were just using FM as an example, but given the quality of their last album versus the quality of Buckingham's last three albums, I'd rather that Buckingham use FM tours to fund his solo albums than record another FM album.

As for Bowie, I'm lucky enough to have seen him five times. He even grabbed my hand at the last show of his I saw, so it would be hard to top that. Still, if he did do another live show, I'd go in a heartbeat. If he doesn't, well, we'll always have the Wiltern.
That is true. Lindsey's recent solo albums were better than "Say You Will", and Stevie's latest solo album IMO was her best since "The Wild Heart", so it almost makes me wonder how good a new FM album would be. But then again, maybe they're best doing the solo thing and then touring and raking in the bucks every few years.
Old 01-13-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 01-13-13, 08:24 PM
Banned by request

I like the look of that!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.